Are "Elite Vacation Consultants" permanently assigned

patty1955

9 hours ago, mauibabes said:

Kate and others,

I’d like to share a bit of what I have learned while sailing with Oceania over the last 14 years. I have looked for an agent who is professional, extremely helpful, accurate with their information and works with me and for me. I am paying the booking that generates their income so I have every reason to expect outstanding service.  If I dread talking to the TA, then I have the wrong TA. If they are not honest with me, I have the wrong TA. Some TA’s think they own their customers and that is flat wrong and they are not my TA. 
An Oceania Connoisseur Club member is definitely a person who knows their product. They will always try to maximize your Oceania cruise benefits and amenities because if you are happy with their services, you will come back for more bookings and bring friends along. Oceania always provides all the contract information, insurance documents, and everything you need for your fabulous cruise. Any TA that can not attach that information to an email does not deserve you as a client.  
Some posters on these Boards and Roll Calls try to emphasize how they have received major discounts or rebates and that is why they use that TA. I can tell you Oceania and many other lines have an Anti-Rebating policies and I for one have too much respect for that TA to ask them to jeopardize their relationship with their Agency and most importantly Oceania Cruises.  I want a TA that respects their clients and treats them with integrity and respect. If I can spend $10 to 20,000 or much more on a vacation, I am not going to ask the TA to give me their livelihood.

Kate, you deserve a great Oceania TA and I hope you find yours real soon, they are out there.  Maybe one day our paths, or should I say seas, will cross and over a glass of something special, we can talk. 
Ciao, Mauibabes

What a wonderful post.  Heartfelt thanks for sharing this. 

I think this part is so important:

" If I can spend $10 to 20,000 or much more on a vacation, I am not going to ask the TA to give me their livelihood."

Exactly.  Discounts, perks or rebates have never been a factor for us, and the TA needs to be compensated for what they do.  I don't expect them to do this for free, and with all the pandemic cancellations, rebookings that are  also then cancelled, and then rebooked again without a dime coming in - income has plummeted.  In some cases TA's lost status commission tiers with some cruiselines because of drop in volume during this period.  Stimulus must be the only way they have survived, and that's gone now.

I do hope our  paths cross over that glass Mauibabes.

11 hours ago, ORV said:

I haven't had time to reply to what you posted above and this post. I certainly can understand your frustration, I also went through a process for quite a few years until I found our current TA ten years or so ago. I basically read between the lines on posts here and realized who some really informed posters, some that are no longer with us, were using. 

At least you see the value of a good TA, some here think just booking direct is the way to go, I differ. If that works for them great. 

On your second comment about air. Keep in mind very few TA's actually book air, unless it's through the cruise line like Oceania. If you're doing independent air you're basically on your own. If I understand correctly most airlines no longer work direct with travel agents so there is no incentive for them to book air. As far as the rest of your wish list it's exactly the service we get.  Our TA only books cruises, some do tours and land vacations which is another kettle of fish. On your third comment that's exactly what our TA does, if we ask a question and she doesn't know the answer her reply is, "let me find out". I appreciate that as opposed to someone making something up or just saying "I don't know". 

I have met people on cruises that recommend their TA because they get perks from the Travel agency for doing so. For some reason that never really set that well with me. 

Are you currently booked on any cruises? Good luck in your search, if we're ever on a cruise together maybe we could talk. I always take a few of her business cards on cruises, but never proactively give them to someone, only if the subject comes up in conversation.  

Thank you Orv.  Very helpful.  I was unaware of the reason for lack of TA air support.  I will strike that from my list of "must-have's".

We have a B2B2B on Marina in three weeks, and another B2B2B on Sirena next fall.  Funny though, we are actually looking at a portion of the cruise you've mention in your signature, so it's possible our paths might actually cross.

The Oceania webpage below lists "Preferred Travel Agents." You search by zip code. Among these are some of well-known "discount" agencies with a large web presence. Are these the same as Connoisseur Club members?

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/find-agent/

Edited by MarkWiltonM
typo

33 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

The Oceania webpage below lists "Preferred Travel Agents." You search by zip code. Among these are some of well-known "discount" agencies with a large web presence. Are these the same as Connoisseur Club members?

Possibly.

In the past, I’ve checked that list for our California zipcode and see one California TA who is/was in SoCal and is well known to O regulars and whose agency is definitely an O “preferred partner” and Connoisseurs Club member. We have used her for some of our cruises. But, we also use a TA in New Mexico who is a top seller of O cruises and previously used a Florida one who is another top O seller. 

As I mentioned in a previous post, ask folks onboard and/or with whom you do tours about their preferred Travel Agency and I guarantee you’ll often hear about all three of them.

In any case, ask whomever you contact the specifics of their O relationship.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MarkWiltonM said:

i do not believe  all are OCCC members

If the agency has a webpage it is usually listed there  if they are  IME

10 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

Thank you Orv.  Very helpful.  I was unaware of the reason for lack of TA air support.  I will strike that from my list of "must-have's".

We have a B2B2B on Marina in three weeks, and another B2B2B on Sirena next fall.  Funny though, we are actually looking at a portion of the cruise you've mention in your signature, so it's possible our paths might actually cross.

I'm only doing the 10 day from the 11th to the 21th, but I can see what I wrote makes it look like we're doing both. I'll fix that.  We actually have done most of the ports on the cruise after that one, with a couple of exceptions. We have also recently(well, pre covid, fall 19) done the itinerary that starts on the 1st of Jun. We prefer longer cruises than just the 10 day, especially since we're flying to Europe. Hopefully there will be some offers to add the one before or after last minute, we'd certainly do either again at the right price. On the other hand I'm not holding out too much hope for any offers as those are both popular and limited itineraries, but it's all post covid FCC(I think) with might reduce demand. 

15 hours ago, ORV said:

I'm only doing the 10 day from the 11th to the 21th, but I can see what I wrote makes it look like we're doing both. I'll fix that.  We actually have done most of the ports on the cruise after that one, with a couple of exceptions. We have also recently(well, pre covid, fall 19) done the itinerary that starts on the 1st of Jun. We prefer longer cruises than just the 10 day, especially since we're flying to Europe. Hopefully there will be some offers to add the one before or after last minute, we'd certainly do either again at the right price. On the other hand I'm not holding out too much hope for any offers as those are both popular and limited itineraries, but it's all post covid FCC(I think) with might reduce demand. 

We are looking at the 11th - 29th.  (The itin for the June 1st leg we are doing Fall 2022 on Sirena.) Then maybe rent a car and do a little of the Wild Atlantic Way again.  The first time we did it we had to miss Slieve League as the fog was impenetrable.  But that time of year is much later than I like to be in Europe.  We are shoulder-season people.

Just like you, we can't make ourselves fly over for just a 10 day - and 18 days is still too short.  When we retired our biggest thrill was never having to take a 7 day European vacation again. 

First world issues for sure. 😳

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 9:19 PM, mauibabes said:

Kate and others,

I’d like to share a bit of what I have learned while sailing with Oceania over the last 14 years. I have looked for an agent who is professional, extremely helpful, accurate with their information and works with me and for me. I am paying the booking that generates their income so I have every reason to expect outstanding service.  If I dread talking to the TA, then I have the wrong TA. If they are not honest with me, I have the wrong TA. Some TA’s think they own their customers and that is flat wrong and they are not my TA. 
An Oceania Connoisseur Club member is definitely a person who knows their product. They will always try to maximize your Oceania cruise benefits and amenities because if you are happy with their services, you will come back for more bookings and bring friends along. Oceania always provides all the contract information, insurance documents, and everything you need for your fabulous cruise. Any TA that can not attach that information to an email does not deserve you as a client.  
Some posters on these Boards and Roll Calls try to emphasize how they have received major discounts or rebates and that is why they use that TA. I can tell you Oceania and many other lines have an Anti-Rebating policies and I for one have too much respect for that TA to ask them to jeopardize their relationship with their Agency and most importantly Oceania Cruises.  I want a TA that respects their clients and treats them with integrity and respect. If I can spend $10 to 20,000 or much more on a vacation, I am not going to ask the TA to give me their livelihood.

Kate, you deserve a great Oceania TA and I hope you find yours real soon, they are out there.  Maybe one day our paths, or should I say seas, will cross and over a glass of something special, we can talk. 
Ciao, Mauibabes

What I find perplexing is why do the cruise lines let this rebating go on?  They all have a policy but turn a blind eye. In essence, they let travel agents undercut the cruise line pricing.

If you all remember back in the 90's, the airlines put a stop to all that nonsense when they went to 0% commissions.  That is the REAL reason your agent won't to air. 

In my opinion, enjoy your rebates now, because once the cruise lines get to that critical number of direct bookings, they will go the way of the airlines with 0 commissions and the end of the cruise travel agent. The company stockholders will be ecstatic as the net profit dramatically improves.  

Edited by commodore2010

On 10/3/2021 at 7:13 PM, ORV said:

I've pretty much given up trying to explain it. It's like cutting your nose off to spite your face. I simply don't get it. You can lead a horse to water..............

I have to believe that there are a lot of people out there who just simply haven't found the right TA, if they had they'd never book direct again. 

100% right on……Why wouldn’t you want more.

• Like 1

I totally get that so many of you love your TA, that is good and awesome and it clearly works for you, perfectly fine.  What I do not understand is how you all get in such a lather about folks who book direct with O, you "give up", "can lead a horse to water", jeez already, it's a cruise, it's each of our $$ and decision on how we decide to book.  Now back to our original programming...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, commodore2010 said:

What I find perplexing is why do the cruise lines let this rebating go on?  They all have a policy but turn a blind eye. In essence, they let travel agents undercut the cruise line pricing.

If you all remember back in the 90's, the airlines put a stop to all that nonsense when they went to 0% commissions.  That is the REAL reason your agent won't to air. 

In my opinion, enjoy your rebates now, because once the cruise lines get to that critical number of direct bookings, they will go the way of the airlines with 0 commissions and the end of the cruise travel agent. The company stockholders will be ecstatic as the net profit dramatically improves.  

Wow - soooo very incorrect.

Airlines are essential travel. Cruise lines are not.

Airlines are focused on transportation. Cruise lines are focused on a multifaceted (and somewhat complicated) experience.

Airlines can operate without need of TAs but still work with them (revenue is revenue). Cruise lines (as an industry) will never reach (nor pursue) a “critical number” of direct bookings because it would cost them far too much to try that on their own.

Like many companies that have figured out the value of “outsourcing,” cruise lines have found that is far less expensive to have TAs handle the bulk of their advertising, marketing, reservations, customer service (particularly for first time cruisers) than it would cost to expand their own staff and related expenses to generate the necessary sales (though they do keep some sales consultant staff because, again, revenue is revenue). As CLIA has often pointed out: Even after paying the TA commissions, the cruise line comes out ahead in bottom line net profit by relying on TAs!

And, speaking of commissions, it’s really no business of the cruise line what a Travel Agency chooses to do with its commissions - as long as the TA does not have conflicting published prices. After all, the TA is actually sharing is its own income while not reducing the price of the cruise.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I totally get that so many of you love your TA, that is good and awesome and it clearly works for you, perfectly fine.  What I do not understand is how you all get in such a lather about folks who book direct with O, you "give up", "can lead a horse to water", jeez already, it's a cruise, it's each of our $$ and decision on how we decide to book.  Now back to our original programming...

Perhaps some of us just hate to see some people throwing money away - and often, it ain’t just “chump change.”

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Perhaps some of us just hate to see some people throwing money away - and often, it ain’t just “chump change.”

If I'm getting a great price and super service from the O agent and then transfer to a highly rate O TA where I get, let's say, gratuities, do you see a problem with that.

On 10/6/2021 at 8:11 AM, Kate-AHF said:

I see these lectures on "using a good TA" every single solitary week here on this board.  So why does finding one have to be like hen's teeth?  It's just not that easy Orv.  Had a good TA, used once with great huzzahs on our part, then she retired during the pandemic.  Still using one we've used for 15 years, that TA is nothing like you describe.  Minutia (like... what documents do we need to travel for this cruise?) is not his thing and telling me to call O to find out is not helpful.

I've talked to a couple of the Connoisseur's club agents I found on the web.  So far? Not impressed by the two i talked to enough to even try booking a cruise with them. 

So how many cruises do I have to suffer through a bad agent to find a good one?  How many cruises do we take in a year?  It could literally take 5 years trying agents to get a good one.  You say the day you found your agent was "your lucky day".  I'm not so lucky, and I'm getting tired of getting lectured on this.  You all with great TA's should just count yourselves VERY VERY lucky and not talk to the rest of us that are not so lucky as being negligent, lazy, or stubborn.  You all seem to think it's easy.  It's just NOT that easy.

I'm not picking on you per se Orv, I like you and see eye to eye with you on so many things and love your sane, reasonable worldview.  But this thread sent me over the edge, and your post got picked to respond.

Totally agree. Tired of hearing all these folks preaching about using the "right" travel agents and all of the benefits they get that the rest of us can not get because we do not know who these freaking "elite" TA's are. 

1 hour ago, mexicobob said:

Totally agree. Tired of hearing all these folks preaching about using the "right" travel agents and all of the benefits they get that the rest of us can not get because we do not know who these freaking "elite" TA's are. 

Don’t you think that most of the folks who have found a good TA had to wade through their own fair share of losers?

And even if they got “lucky” early on in their search, it still may have required a ton of research and interpersonal skill (or perhaps chutzpah) sufficient to work “who did you use?” into, at least, every other onboard conversation.

IMO, finding a good TA is really no different than searching out a good tradesperson, vendor, professional practitioner, etc.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, clo said:

If I'm getting a great price and super service from the O agent and then transfer to a highly rate O TA where I get, let's say, gratuities, do you see a problem with that.

I recently booked a cruise directly on O’s website while my TA was on vacay. Upon her return, we chatted before transferring the reservation to her. 
From our discussion I learned that if I haven’t firmly decided which/where/when to travel, working with her prior to selecting my itinerary and date could increase my “bennies” as my credit card (or other source) will sometimes run promotions that are not uniformly offered across the board. It can vary by cabin category and itinerary and date. So, sometimes it can “pay” to book through the TA, although I see the value in having one more source of information (the O consultant). Sometimes my TA is unavailable and I want to “talk cruisin’!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

as my credit card (or other source) will sometimes run promotions that are not uniformly offered across the board.

We use our Chase Sapphire Reserve and get 3x points on travel.

13 hours ago, mexicobob said:

Next time your on a cruise and talking to someone just ask—most people will tell you.

38 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Next time your on a cruise and talking to someone just ask—most people will tell you.

Absolutely. And, as aforementioned: These are small ships and your chances of hearing multiple mentions of the same agencies (along with opinions) are very good.

12 hours ago, clo said:

We use our Chase Sapphire Reserve and get 3x points on travel.

I meant that some cruise lines/dates/itineraries are granted extra benefits over and above reward points applied for charging purchases to your credit card. Perhaps there are (I’m making this up) 5 O itineraries that my AMEX card will pay OBC, or PPG or other bennies. If I choose a different itin, I get fewer freebies.
The rewards for using your credit card are incidental to this discussion.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

I meant that some cruise lines/dates/itineraries are granted extra benefits over and above reward points... 

Yes. Also our TA has walked us through which itineraries have higher consortium benefits (hosted parties etc).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2021 at 8:11 AM, Kate-AHF said:

I see these lectures on "using a good TA" every single solitary week here on this board.  So why does finding one have to be like hen's teeth?  It's just not that easy Orv.  Had a good TA, used once with great huzzahs on our part, then she retired during the pandemic.  Still using one we've used for 15 years, that TA is nothing like you describe.  Minutia (like... what documents do we need to travel for this cruise?) is not his thing and telling me to call O to find out is not helpful.

I've talked to a couple of the Connoisseur's club agents I found on the web.  So far? Not impressed by the two i talked to enough to even try booking a cruise with them. 

So how many cruises do I have to suffer through a bad agent to find a good one?  How many cruises do we take in a year?  It could literally take 5 years trying agents to get a good one.  You say the day you found your agent was "your lucky day".  I'm not so lucky, and I'm getting tired of getting lectured on this.  You all with great TA's should just count yourselves VERY VERY lucky and not talk to the rest of us that are not so lucky as being negligent, lazy, or stubborn.  You all seem to think it's easy.  It's just NOT that easy.

I'm not picking on you per se Orv, I like you and see eye to eye with you on so many things and love your sane, reasonable worldview.  But this thread sent me over the edge, and your post got picked to respond.

Totally agree. Maybe one day I can be in the elusive, clouded in haze, "in" club and have a good travel agent. Until then just have to keep seeking that holy grail. Or maybe times are a changing, in this post Covid, high tech world, and travel agents will go the way of travel checks.

• Like 1

No problem at all if individuals want to make and keep their booking direct without  a TA involved.  Oceania makes more money on those bookings, because they do not need to pay a commission.  I know this is obvious, but it is a good thing for Oceania. IMO no one that chooses this option should be challenged or criticized.  Many years ago Renaissance tried a direct only model that did not work.  They eventually abandoned that effort.  Although not related, they did eventually go bankrupt.  Since that bad luck lead to Oceania being formed, it had a happy ending.

I know that some cruise companies do not allow cash rebates or direct discounts  (at least not advertised). Some of the cruise lines (I assume Oceania is the same) allow TA’s to provide refundable OBC.  This must be allowed by Oceania as that is what I have on my Oceania bookings.  Approximately 8% of my cruise fare.  So even though Oceania may not “allow” rebates they certainly allow TA OBC.  By the way my offer comes via an e mail from me asking for a quote, it is never advertised.  I am sure it helps that I book often.

The two TA that I currently use (depending on the cruise company booked) were found by recommendations from CC members. One on a cruise and another using Google search.

I can certainly understand why an individual would not want to use a TA.  From my perspective those people should be encourages to do as they wish as it contributes to Oceania’s profit and everyone has their own comfort level.  In certain situations (Tauck river cruise) I even book direct.

No matter how you book, just book.  The cruise lines really need the business.  I just finished a Trans Atlantic  cruise on another cruise line.  It was so great to get back to cruising and all the crew were so happy to be working again. The money we spend helps a lot of people.

Safe Travels.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

No problem at all if individuals want to make and keep their booking direct without  a TA involved.  Oceania makes more money on those bookings, because they do not need to pay a commission.  I know this is obvious, but it is a good thing for Oceania. IMO no one that chooses this option should be challenged or criticized.  Many years ago Renaissance tried a direct only model that did not work.  They eventually abandoned that effort.  Although not related, they did eventually go bankrupt.  Since that bad luck lead to Oceania being formed, it had a happy ending.

I know that some cruise companies do not allow cash rebates or direct discounts  (at least not advertised). Some of the cruise lines (I assume Oceania is the same) allow TA’s to provide refundable OBC.  This must be allowed by Oceania as that is what I have on my Oceania bookings.  Approximately 8% of my cruise fare.  So even though Oceania may not “allow” rebates they certainly allow TA OBC.  By the way my offer comes via an e mail from me asking for a quote, it is never advertised.  I am sure it helps that I book often.

The two TA that I currently use (depending on the cruise company booked) were found by recommendations from CC members. One on a cruise and another using Google search.

I can certainly understand why an individual would not want to use a TA.  From my perspective those people should be encourages to do as they wish as it contributes to Oceania’s profit and everyone has their own comfort level.  In certain situations (Tauck river cruise) I even book direct.

No matter how you book, just book.  The cruise lines really need the business.  I just finished a Trans Atlantic  cruise on another cruise line.  It was so great to get back to cruising and all the crew were so happy to be working again. The money we spend helps a lot of people.

Safe Travels.

The cost to do their own advertising/marketing/booking is why Oceania promotes the use of TAs. 
As for TA rebates and refundable SBC, O allows it as long as it is not advertised. AND do note that some amenity extras (beyond O Life and O Club perks) provided by TAs actually come from Oceania or a TA consortium. In those cases, the perk (e.g., gratuities) have the notation “OCAPP” on the Oceania invoice. In fact, in most cases, any TA “out of pocket” perk will not appear on the O invoice (but will appear on the TA’s invoice).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The cost to do their own advertising/marketing/booking is why Oceania promotes the use of TAs. 
As for TA rebates and refundable SBC, O allows it as long as it is not advertised. AND do note that some amenity extras (beyond O Life and O Club perks) provided by TAs actually come from Oceania or a TA consortium. In those cases, the perk (e.g., gratuities) have the notation “OCAPP” on the Oceania invoice. In fact, in most cases, any TA “out of pocket” perk will not appear on the O invoice (but will appear on the TA’s invoice).

Great explanation.  Exactly true in my case.  My upcoming cruise also includes the gratuities which was a special from Oceania at the time.  As well as the Beverage package. (O Life choice)

You are always so helpful and it is appreciated.