Maybe I’m missing something…grand vs owners suite

We have an OS booked on Harmony for March.  It was originally an OS on Rhapsody that got an L & S.  It’ll be me hubby & our 2 adult offspring so we wanted the extra room.  We haven’t all vacationed together in over 10 years so we wanted to be together in one room (and I have small offspring. Daughter is only 4’11”!). Of course with price protection, it was a steal at barely half price.  Only problem is hubby who will want one every cruise!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I recently gave up my Jr. Suite and went to the Owners suite.  I normally cruise with my mother who is 81 and uses a cane.  She is very unsteady.  I recently had a knee replacement.  While we love the Jr. Suite  and normally would not pay any extra,  we find it difficult and dangerous to use the tub.  They are higher than the tubs at home.  The owners suite (Adventure/ Voyager) were the only suite option with a walk in shower.  Therefore it is either upgrade to the owners suite or downgrade to a balcony.  If the price is doable I like the owners suite as she spends a lot of down time relaxing in the room.

A lot of people tell me to take a handicap room.  However, other than the tub/shower issue we do not need a handicap room and do not want to take one from others that do.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, lindacat said:

I recently gave up my Jr. Suite and went to the Owners suite.  I normally cruise with my mother who is 81 and uses a cane.  She is very unsteady.  I recently had a knee replacement.  While we love the Jr. Suite  and normally would not pay any extra,  we find it difficult and dangerous to use the tub.  They are higher than the tubs at home.  The owners suite (Adventure/ Voyager) were the only suite option with a walk in shower.  Therefore it is either upgrade to the owners suite or downgrade to a balcony.  If the price is doable I like the owners suite as she spends a lot of down time relaxing in the room.

A lot of people tell me to take a handicap room.  However, other than the tub/shower issue we do not need a handicap room and do not want to take one from others that do.

Quantum class also has a JS that has a very large walk in shower.  There are three different types of JS on that class and it is the one that used to be called a spa JS and they are located on the hump.  These cabins have a split bathroom.  One bathroom has a tub, sink and the large walk in rain head shower.  The other bathroom has a sink and a toilet.

Just another option that might fit your needs. 🙂 

We love the GS, especially the sitting area, but I wouldn't pay a penny extra for an OS unless I was travelling worth someone who had mobility issues or we were trying to put 3 or 4 passengers in the suite.

Even in the latter case, you're probably better off getting the GS and an adjacent JS. Shoot, there was one time it was a very similar cost to just getting 2 GSs (and was worth every cent to do so).

19 hours ago, Funkytown83 said:

That is very unusual. A Owner suite is usual priced around 40 to 50 % higher then a grand suite. The Owners must be well booked to explain the price jump?! 

Rates can be weird at times. Four of the Five Cruises I have Booked this Nov-Dec the Balcony Cabins are cheaper then OV and Guarantee Cabin more then ones you pick. But even in non-CV times once Booked a 2BD/2BA for cheaper then a Superior Balcony Cabin, this on a 13niter all to myself

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lindacat said:

I think I might’ve gone with adjoining balconies in this case.

21 hours ago, dianajo67 said:

BTW…my husband is frugal and thinks the js is fine.  We can afford more, but he prefers we split our splurge funds between vacations and home upgrade projects!  I say travel while you can!  Stuff is just stuff.

I agree with you.  My husband passed away earlier this year, and I am so very happy we went on many cruises together, especially for our 50th 2 years ago.  It's the time together that's important, not a fancy bathroom you use alone.

• Like 8

The only times we book GS or up is on Oasis class ships. The “perks” of a full suite on any lower class of ship (to us at least) never justify the price increase over a JS. Also, we never put in a RoyalUP bid on any class other than Oasis class, and never on a B2B if we have the same JS cabin on both legs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pcur said:

I agree with you.  My husband passed away earlier this year, and I am so very happy we went on many cruises together, especially for our 50th 2 years ago.  It's the time together that's important, not a fancy bathroom you use alone.

Sorry to hear about your husband.  I would normally be frugal too in order to travel more…but every so often it’s good to splurge for the memories and relationship even if you end up cutting back on other “stuff”.  I have a great hubby and he basically leaves all these decisions up to me and doesn’t whine overly much.  I always point to his HUGE flashlight collection if he gives me grief!

I'm curious when you originally booked your cruise.  Your sailing is next month.  Prices are always through the roof the closer to the sailing date.  We booked an Owners Suite for the 2022 Allure TA at $4,670/pp.  After discounts we were at $7,103 total.  We booked our cruise the day it opened for booking earlier this year.  Our original booking for the 2020 canceled Allure TA had us in a Grand Suite for $4,700/pp.  That one was also booked 2 years in advance of sailing.

6 minutes ago, orville99 said:

The only times we book GS or up is on Oasis class ships. The “perks” of a full suite on any lower class of ship (to us at least) never justify the price increase over a JS. Also, we never put in a RoyalUP bid on any class other than Oasis class, and never on a B2B if we have the same JS cabin on both legs.

Good advice.  I’m wavering.  Maybe use money to upgrade to junior from balcony on a couple cruises.  We’ll be diamond plus in March regardless so not worried about points overly much.

10 minutes ago, dianajo67 said:

Sorry to hear about your husband.  I would normally be frugal too in order to travel more…but every so often it’s good to splurge for the memories and relationship even if you end up cutting back on other “stuff”.  I have a great hubby and he basically leaves all these decisions up to me and doesn’t whine overly much.  I always point to his HUGE flashlight collection if he gives me grief!

LOL  I thought I was the only one!  My wife always laughs at my need to buy the newest flashlights on sale at Costco.  I must have 50 of them sitting around the house/garage/shop.

But on the good side, she always knows how to easily fill my Christmas stocking.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Teeara said:

I'm curious when you originally booked your cruise.  Your sailing is next month.  Prices are always through the roof the closer to the sailing date.  We booked an Owners Suite for the 2022 Allure TA at $4,670/pp.  After discounts we were at $7,103 total.  We booked our cruise the day it opened for booking earlier this year.  Our original booking for the 2020 canceled Allure TA had us in a Grand Suite for $4,700/pp.  That one was also booked 2 years in advance of sailing.

I always book as soon as it opens…normally refundable as it’s so far out.  Once we decide we are “all in” on a cruise, I might convert to a NRD if it’s a good savings.  With CWC, we felt better about converting to NRD earlier for cruises we felt 80% sure we’d go on.  Right now, I have a few “back up” cruises with refundable deposits in case covid makes things go haywire last minute.  I’m retired…but really should have a job for all the brain energy I have…can’t just do nothing….relaxing is not something I really experience. I have the luxury of time to follow costs closely and grab deals.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Teeara said:

I like to to know where you find $2237 worth of discounts when all Royal Caribbean sailings cost pretty much what the list price on the Royal site, minus Crown and Anchor balcony discounts?

I've been in the JS, GS, and OS, on the Explorer.  If I were doing a B2B, I would not move from one to the other, period.  Not having to move is, for me, one of the great perks of the B2B.  As for the pricing difference between the OS and the GS.  I don't recall them being that extreme.  I prefer the OS for the larger space, but am fine with a GS if the price difference is more than I feel is reasonable.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I've been in the JS, GS, and OS, on the Explorer.  If I were doing a B2B, I would not move from one to the other, period.  Not having to move is, for me, one of the great perks of the B2B.  As for the pricing difference between the OS and the GS.  I don't recall them being that extreme.  I prefer the OS for the larger space, but am fine with a GS if the price difference is more than I feel is reasonable.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you! Appreciate the perspective!  My gut says stay with the hump jr suite both weeks and use the money to perk up other cruises in 2022.  My emotions say go for the grand suite at least one of the two weeks due to low occupancy and low costs to max the bids on the suites I like.  

sitting in my screened-in porch contemplating costs to make it 3 season or year round sun room in 2022. Staying with the jr suite to save might be worth it.   Love sitting out here.  I almost never watch tv.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I like to to know where you find $2237 worth of discounts when all Royal Caribbean sailings cost pretty much what the list price on the Royal site, minus Crown and Anchor balcony discounts?

We often get a hefty military discount as hubby is a veteran.  Usually in the neighborhood of 15-20%.  It doesn’t always show when we book but usually find one.

40 minutes ago, dianajo67 said:

Thank you! Appreciate the perspective!  My gut says stay with the hump jr suite both weeks and use the money to perk up other cruises in 2022.  My emotions say go for the grand suite at least one of the two weeks due to low occupancy and low costs to max the bids on the suites I like.  

sitting in my screened-in porch contemplating costs to make it 3 season or year round sun room in 2022. Staying with the jr suite to save might be worth it.   Love sitting out here.  I almost never watch tv.

Yes, doesn't make sense to buy it outright now, but if you were to get it with a max bid on Royal Up , go for it.

People are telling you to keep your JS's for both cruises based on the present price of an Owner's Suite. Just don't see what people are telling you what to do if you get it at a Royal Up price, that is what I want to see people comment on?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

I’m not sure how I’m going to play this yet….losing sleep over it (brain vs heart).  Hubby thinks I’m being ridiculous!  I agree to some extent.  Will let you know how the bidding works out for reference sake if nothing else!  Just happy we’re crusing again!

• Like 2

I have cruised in both the Grand Suite and the Owners Suite. Give me the Owners Suite any day! The size is the big plus and the bidet is more than a novelty. The table is great for entertaining folks you cruise with or befriend on the cruise. You also get two large closets as opposed to one in the Grand. On a long cruise this can be really helpful. Really, you spend much more time in the cabin than on the balcony. The Owners Suite I was in did have two loungers. The first time I was in the Owners suite our traveling companions had a Grand Suite. Needless to say get together were always in our Owners suite. Our companions subsequently booked Owners suites on future cruises.  

• Like 6