Vaccination Card with 3rd dose booster

I wouldn’t worry about it.   Your card will clearly show you received the required number of doses and even if they get a bit confused by the date of the booster shot, they will be able to figure it all out pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

Has anyone been able to get the Moderna booster?  I got my 1st two shots in February and March.  I am 82 years old with type II diabetes.  I made an appointment for the Moderna booster, but when I got to the pharmacy, I was informed that I won't be eligible until the CDC approves the Moderna Booster.  This wasn't addressed during the lengthy online check-in that included all my insurance information.  Pharmacist said the Moderna "3rd Shot" is available only for those who had organ transplants, etc., and I am "too healthy".  🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Grandma Petania said:

Has anyone been able to get the Moderna booster?  I got my 1st two shots in February and March.  I am 82 years old with type II diabetes.  I made an appointment for the Moderna booster, but when I got to the pharmacy, I was informed that I won't be eligible until the CDC approves the Moderna Booster.  This wasn't addressed during the lengthy online check-in that included all my insurance information.  Pharmacist said the Moderna "3rd Shot" is available only for those who had organ transplants, etc., and I am "too healthy".  🙃

I had a patient who was able to get one just signing up for the Moderno vaccine. Even though it was her third dose, they went ahead. I don’t know, maybe they didn’t know until afterwards. But most places all they do is have you sign that you have a lowered immunity, you don’t have to show them proof. Not the pharmacist’s decision really.  Even so, I do think the 3rd dose Moderna is likely to be approved within the next several weeks (I hope so) for ages 65+, those with high risk jobs, and high risk health conditions.

Edited by AlohaLivin

We actually called and talked to Royal Caribbean's customer service. Basically, what the guidance from the CDC intends, is for your second shot (or first if J&J) to have been at least 14 days prior to your cruise. However, what the wording of the guidance from the CDC actually says, is 14 days since your final shot. Clearly, because the guidance came out pre-booster shots and hasn't been updated.

So customer service recommended that we not get the booster shot, because they could not guarantee that at the port, they wouldn't go by the wording of the CDC guidance, as opposed to the intention.

• Like 2

Not to throw any more wrenches into the pool, but for Florida departures, am I correct in presuming that everyone is debating is how you answer the question on the health form on the day before your departure?

41 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Not to throw any more wrenches into the pool, but for Florida departures, am I correct in presuming that everyone is debating is how you answer the question on the health form on the day before your departure?

Only the very few who can't tease out context and intent.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Don't understand your question. Most Florida cruises require that 100% of the passengers 12 years old and older must be vaccinated. 

Here's was the requirement for our cruise out of Miami. We were required to upload our vaccination card 21 days prior to cruise and our vaccination card was reviewed and validated three times at the terminal prior to being allowed to board the ship. 

Vaccination. All guests 12 and older must be fully vaccinated prior to sailing and must provide documentation of full vaccination (for example, a COVID-19 vaccination record card) prior to boarding. Guests must have received the final vaccine dose at least 14 days before sailing.

Edited by BirdTravels

20 hours ago, pcur said:

I called the State of Hawaii's Safe Travels hotline to ask just this question yesterday, because they state you have to be 15 days past your last shot.  I explained that if the Moderna booster is approved after the meeting mid-October for the Feds to discuss it, I will probably get it about 2 days before I fly to Kauai.

Not sure why you would risk taking a booster prior to travel. There is a good possibility that you will have some effects from the booster and would be lying on your airline check-in questions on "do you have any symptoms". In worst case, when the military temperature screens you as you exit your flight in Kauai (and Honolulu if you are connecting), and you have a fever from the booster (I had a fever after all three of my shots), you would be detained and quarantined for 10 days by the State of Hawaii. (Hawaii temperature screens 100% of the people leaving each aircraft).

42 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Don't understand your question. Most Florida cruises require that 100% of the passengers 12 years old and older must be vaccinated. 

Here's was the requirement for our cruise out of Miami. We were required to upload our vaccination card 21 days prior to cruise and our vaccination card was reviewed and validated three times at the terminal prior to being allowed to board the ship. 

Vaccination. All guests 12 and older must be fully vaccinated prior to sailing and must provide documentation of full vaccination (for example, a COVID-19 vaccination record card) prior to boarding. Guests must have received the final vaccine dose at least 14 days before sailing.

Don’t know what cruise line you were on, but we will be boarding our third RCL cruise since August out of PC on Sunday and have not been asked to upload our vaccination cards on any of them. The only time we were asked to show our cards was at the terminal during the boarding process.

Edited by orville99

22 hours ago, LorraineP said:

Was the date that you put in on RCL app for the 3rd dose?

I'd be careful with that and just list the second dose. The card shows the 3rd dose on the back, so they can look at the port if they want and deal with the confusion. The problem with inputting the 3rd dose on the app is that it could trigger unnecessary problems, since the port people and app are probably designed to look for a 14-day space between final dose and cruise. 

15 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The ability (not requirement) to upload the vaccination card started somewhat recently and may not be fleet wide.

Apparently not requested on either Allure or Harmony. Nothing requested or suggested on our three Allure cruises so far. We just checked in for our November Harmony cruise, and there was no request for any uploads on that one either.

1 hour ago, rj59 said:

I'd be careful with that and just list the second dose. The card shows the 3rd dose on the back, so they can look at the port if they want and deal with the confusion. The problem with inputting the 3rd dose on the app is that it could trigger unnecessary problems, since the port people and app are probably designed to look for a 14-day space between final dose and cruise. 

My card and my DH's card show the booster (3rd shot) on the front below the first two.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Not sure why you would risk taking a booster prior to travel. There is a good possibility that you will have some effects from the booster and would be lying on your airline check-in questions on "do you have any symptoms". In worst case, when the military temperature screens you as you exit your flight in Kauai (and Honolulu if you are connecting), and you have a fever from the booster (I had a fever after all three of my shots), you would be detained and quarantined for 10 days by the State of Hawaii. (Hawaii temperature screens 100% of the people leaving each aircraft).

The reason I called was because I COULDN'T be boostered 15 days in advance, to be completely over an side effects, and was that a trip-killer? They don't count the boosters as your "last vaccination"; they are only interested in the first two (for me, with Moderna).

30 minutes ago, pcur said:

The reason I called was because I COULDN'T be boostered 15 days in advance, to be completely over an side effects, and was that a trip-killer? They don't count the boosters as your "last vaccination"; they are only interested in the first two (for me, with Moderna).

Since there is no requirement for a third shot I'm not sure why this is even a topic for discussion.  We've had our third, but know that the second shot is what makes us fully vaccinated.  The OP and some others are overthinking it.

Edited by BND
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, BND said:

Since there is no requirement for a third shot I'm not sure why this is even a topic for discussion.  We've had our third, but know that the second shot is what makes us fully vaccinated.  The OP and some others are overthinking it.

Perhaps.  In my case I was dealing with the State of Hawaii, known to be very strict about timing of vaccine shots and coming into HI.  So, I thought I would call and ask.  Their explanation seemed applicable to what the cruise lines are requiring.

On the "what vaccines are accepted" page I found a passage dealing with booster shots:

F

What vaccines are accepted?

A

Royal Caribbean accepts vaccines that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by the U.S. FDA or the World Health Organization. A guest is considered fully vaccinated 14 days after the required number of doses in their vaccine series have been fully administered (e.g. 2 shots of Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, etc., or 1 shot of Johnson & Johnson).

For Cruises Departing from U.S. Ports 

Mixed mRNA Vaccines

For sailings departing from the U.S., the CDC will now recognize a mixed series of mRNA vaccines as fully vaccinated (e.g., 1 shot of Pfizer with 1 shot of Moderna, in any order). The doses must be administered a minimum of 28 days apart. The guest will be considered fully vaccinated 14 days after the final dose.  

Mixed mRNA with AstraZeneca Vaccine

Guests whose two-shot regimen consists only of 1 mRNA dose with 1 AstraZeneca dose will not be considered vaccinated. We continue to encourage the CDC and other U.S. government officials to re-evaluate this policy.

Booster Shots

Guests who have received 3 or more doses of vaccine, due to booster regimens, will be considered fully vaccinated if at least one of these conditions is satisfied:

• At least 2 of the doses are mRNA vaccines administered at least 28 days apart. The final dose must be completed at least 14 days before sailing.
  • At least 2 of the doses are AstraZeneca administered at least 28 days apart. The final dose must be completed at least 14 days before sailing.
  • At least 1 dose is Johnson & Johnson, completed at least 14 days before sailing.

For Cruises Departing from Ports Outside of the U.S. 

So, in rare cases (Astra + mRNA + mRNA) "fully vaccinated" can mean the third (booster) shot. Or do you read it in a different way?

Cheers

Cruisebear

Cruisebear…thank you for posting that information.  Can you simplify it for me to suit my situation……i received one AstraZeneca and one Pfizer vaccine shot.  When applicable, I will qualify for a booster shot, which will be a Pfizer shot.   Will I be considered fully vaccinated for cruising purposes after I receive the booster shot?  Technically, I am already fully vaccinated…but don’t meet the CDC’s rules.  

Thank you for any clarification on this.

On 10/7/2021 at 5:33 PM, pcur said:

Well, I'm thinking it's the second vaccine shot, too.  

I called the State of Hawaii's Safe Travels hotline to ask just this question yesterday, because they state you have to be 15 days past your last shot.  I explained that if the Moderna booster is approved after the meeting mid-October for the Feds to discuss it, I will probably get it about 2 days before I fly to Kauai.

She said they are interested in the second vaccine shot, not the booster (yet).  I think they are all focusing on the vaccine because the boosters are just starting to roll out.  

Also, everyone who is checking is more concerned about people being fully vaccinated rather than boostered.

Hubby recently had a bad reaction for 2 days after booster, he was fine with 1st two doses and flu shot.  Be mindful give yourself a few extra days if you can. Safe travels.  Hawaii, envious.. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 8:53 PM, Grandma Petania said:

We got a Moderna booster at our local hospital in CO last month. They were offering it to anyone over 65

On 10/7/2021 at 7:53 PM, Grandma Petania said:

We live in California and have been advised by our doctor that the Moderna booster is still not available and we would be notified when it was.  From what I have been reading about the booster, the final OK should be coming soon.  Like you, we also got our shots in February and March. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

We live in California and have been advised by our doctor that the Moderna booster is still not available and we would be notified when it was.  From what I have been reading about the booster, the final OK should be coming soon.  Like you, we also got our shots in February and March. 

That is what I understand for the US in general. We had our 3rd dose (booster) of Moderna under the reduce immunity program (we were first dosed in Jan ‘21 under health care providers), but the Moderna should be available in the next few weeks for those 65 and over, those who have at risk jobs, and those with significant medical issues (e.g., diabetes). I had a little bit of a sore arm and redness, my husband had mild chills for about 12 hours (after 12 hours) as his immune system reacted (about the same as the 2nd dose). Fingers crossed they get a move on with the Moderna since so many of us had that brand vaccine. 👍🏼

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SConnolly said:

Hubby recently had a bad reaction for 2 days after booster, he was fine with 1st two doses and flu shot.  Be mindful give yourself a few extra days if you can. Safe travels.  Hawaii, envious.. 

My thoughts exactly:  I'm not traveling for at least 10 days after the Moderna booster.

I have to smile:  everyone who knows that I'm going to Kauai for a week are envious.  I'm starting to get "Hawaii traveler's guilt".  (Plus, it's a friend I'm visiting who wants me to come any time I want.  Now, THAT'S a travel honey pot I fell into.....HA!).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/11/2021 at 7:29 AM, Italy52 said:

"Millions of Americans will be one step closer to receiving a Covid-19 booster shot this week when a key Food and Drug Administration advisory panel meets Thursday and Friday to debate extra doses of the  Moderna vaccines."

This is a quote from a CNBC article updated on 10/11/21.

I'm hoping it's approved quickly, as I'd like to get it before I fly to Kauai in November.  Fingers crossed.

• Thanks 1