John Padgett named President of Princess Cruises

PescadoAmarillo

from Jan Swartz

It is my privilege to share with you that John Padgett has been named president of Princess Cruises, effective immediately. John will report to me, while also retaining leadership of the corporation’s innovation unit.

Many of you know John as the mastermind behind our Princess MedallionClass experience. Delivering a more personalized, simplified, and connected onboard experience for all guests and crew, it is now available on the entire Princess global fleet. This includes the creation and development of the award-winning Medallion®wearable device and the enabling OCEAN® platform that enhances and personalizes the overall cruise experience ranging from world-class dining, to entertainment, spas, shore excursions, and guest services. Throughout the fleet transformation, John worked closely with virtually every area of our operation and became connected with thousands of Princess guests, travel advisors, and destination partners spanning the world.

Since joining Carnival Corporation & plc in 2014 as chief experience and innovation officer, John has helped transform the approach to creating differentiated guest experiences based on personal interactions. His work has helped us tailor our experience to the interests and preferences of individual guests, further enhancing one of the world’s most popular vacations. Headlining the iconic 2017 CES show with Princess Cruises’ innovation and creating an extensive patent portfolio, John and his innovation team also created original TV and digital content programming that highlights the extraordinary experiences that guests enjoy while on a cruise vacation with over 900 million viewers around the world. This work helped to expand the market’s awareness and demand-generation for cruising.

John is an alumnus of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech), where he earned both a master’s and bachelor’s degree. He also holds over two dozen patents and multiple innovation awards.

Please join me in congratulating John on his new role with our operating line. His vision and drive, combined with his commitment to providing the best guest experience in the industry, will help position Princess for success well into the future. 

Best, 
Jan

• Like 1

Just now, PescadoAmarillo said:

from Jan Swartz

It is my privilege to share with you that John Padgett has been named president of Princess Cruises, effective immediately. John will report to me, while also retaining leadership of the corporation’s innovation unit.

Many of you know John as the mastermind behind our Princess MedallionClass experience. Delivering a more personalized, simplified, and connected onboard experience for all guests and crew, it is now available on the entire Princess global fleet. This includes the creation and development of the award-winning Medallion®wearable device and the enabling OCEAN® platform that enhances and personalizes the overall cruise experience ranging from world-class dining, to entertainment, spas, shore excursions, and guest services. Throughout the fleet transformation, John worked closely with virtually every area of our operation and became connected with thousands of Princess guests, travel advisors, and destination partners spanning the world.

Mastermind, huh? Nevermind the personalized, many folks have not found this experience to be simplified.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

from Jan Swartz

It is my privilege to share with you that John Padgett has been named president of Princess Cruises, effective immediately. John will report to me, while also retaining leadership of the corporation’s innovation unit....John is an alumnus of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech), where he earned both a master’s and bachelor’s degree. He also holds over two dozen patents and multiple innovation awards.

Is is possible he will need an assistant who also is a Hokie and retired from the U. S. Army?  😉

• Haha 1

If the medallion is that red hot, which in my mind it is not, then why has it not been implemented across the entire Carnival Group's ships, like...Carnival Cruise Lines, Cunard, Holland America, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Costa, etc etc?

• Like 1

Congratulations to John Padgett on his promotion. Jan Swartz just sent a clear message. All eggs in Medallion basket. Like it or leave it. I like it. Quite a challenge for someone whose background is innovation to head one of the more resistive cruise lines to change.

Edited by billco
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, billco said:

Congratulations to John Padgett on his promotion. Jan Swartz just sent a clear message. All eggs in Medallion basket. Like it or leave it. I like it. Quite a challenge for someone whose background is innovation to head one of the more resistive cruise lines to change.

If you believe that they are putting "all eggs in Medallion basket", why do you think they just announced that they are going to restore the web based function?

9 hours ago, NSWP said:

If the medallion is that red hot, which in my mind it is not, then why has it not been implemented across the entire Carnival Group's ships, like...Carnival Cruise Lines, Cunard, Holland America, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Costa, etc etc?

Just maybe they do not want to drive away all the customers from the various cruise lines operated by Carnival Corporation to other cruise lines.

12 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

from Jan Swartz

When I saw this, I checked the calandar.   I was sure it had to be April 1st...

So, for all the complaints about the medallion app here, all the calls to princess, all the letters and emails to princess.

Relax.

PRINCESS HEARD YOU!

...AND, THEY DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK!!!

Medallion might be the greatest thing ever.

But, the development and roll-out doesn't even rise to unprofessional.

So, reward the guy managing the development!   What the...<insert bad word here>????

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

When I saw this, I checked the calandar.   I was sure it had to be April 1st...

So, for all the complaints about the medallion app here, all the calls to princess, all the letters and emails to princess.

Relax.

PRINCESS HEARD YOU!

...AND, THEY DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK!!!

Medallion might be the greatest thing ever.

But, the development and roll-out doesn't even rise to unprofessional.

So, reward the guy managing the development!   What the...<insert bad word here>????

This is how corporate America works.  I remember when everyone was complaining about Jan and she scored a promotion as well.

While I like the idea of Medallion a failed startup doesn't deserve a promotion in my book.  

And this is just another reason we have started to book on other lines. Sad to leave Princess but RC and Celebrity just have much better deals. That said, we leave on The Enchanted Dec 10th and I hope all goes well and my faith in Princess is restored.