LIVE from the MAIDEN VOYAGE OF THE ROTTERDAM VII - TRANSATLANTIC

sansterre

@sansterre, my memory is really bad, but did we sail together on the Maasdam's Atlantic Adventurer in 2014?  On that cruise we had a Cellar Master called Miguel, Argentinian, but he lived in South Africa.  I got into trouble with him because I called him "Miguelito", and he said only his  abuelita (grandmother ) called  him that.  I wonder if your Miguel now is the same man.  I couldn't really tell from your photo.  Here is a picture of the Miguel we had -

P1070190.thumb.JPG.a94b5012c8b3d78fdda77b557cfd6359.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

There is a post on Facebook by James Hills from November 7 that reads as follows:

Who is James Hills?  What is his relationship with HAL?  I don't recognize the name.  Why should I believe anything that is in his Facebook post?  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

@sansterre, my memory is really bad, but did we sail together on the Maasdam's Atlantic Adventurer in 2014?  On that cruise we had a Cellar Master called Miguel, Argentinian, but he lived in South Africa.  I got into trouble with him because I called him "Miguelito", and he said only his  abuelita (grandmother ) called  him that.  I wonder if your Miguel now is the same man.  I couldn't really tell from your photo.  Here is a picture of the Miguel we had -

We saw Miguel while dining at the Pinnacle Grill tonight.  I asked him if he was on the Atlantic Adventure in 2014.  He said yes that was him and it was probably the Maasdam or Veendam.  We have enjoyed wine tasting with Miguel on many cruises through the years..

I also recall your name, Victoriann and I think we were on one or two independent tours together on the Atlantic Adventure.  We did 3 Atlantic Adventures so I don't recall which year or what ship, not what tours we were on.  Thanks for posting this photo and making the connection!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Who is James Hills?  What is his relationship with HAL?  I don't recognize the name.  Why should I believe anything that is in his Facebook post?  

I do not know him either, but I also read his post on FB and he merely quoted from the question and answer session that was held on board with Captain, CD and the HD on Rotterdam, this was where the information came from.

I have taken the liberty to post a screen shot, so all credits for this info go to James Hills, who was so kind to post this information.

TT.jpg

Edited by Alphen
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm thinking of booking an obstructed veranda(VH)  on Rotterdam. I wonder if anyone is able to show any pictures of the actual obstruction. Interested to know if there is much difference between being above the tenders or lifeboats.

Edited by OVgirl
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, OVgirl said:

I'm thinking of booking an obstructed veranda(VH)  on Rotterdam. I wonder if anyone is able to show any pictures of the actual obstruction. Interested to know if there is much difference between being above the tenders or lifeboats.

My first reaction would be to suggest the website with facts about HAL, but with the new davitt system on Rotterdam, we need to wait for real reports and images.  Hopefully a CC poster will be in an obstructed veranda on Rotterdam soon and post the info.

I want to book one of the 'longways' cabins on Rotterdam, but will wait to see if they are similar to Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam's 'longways' ones.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I want to book one of the 'longways' cabins on Rotterdam, but will wait to see if they are similar to Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam's 'longways' ones.

Will you please be so kind to explain what kind of a cabin you mean?  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

Will you please be so kind to explain what kind of a cabin you mean?  

# 4039/4040/4041/4042/4043 and 4044 on Rotterdam

#4043/4044/4045 and 4046 on Koningsdam

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/4046-koningsdam/2022569848_Screenshot2021-11-10160346.jpg.ee2ad29f0b202bf0f52dad408a60efd1.jpg

Edited by VMax1700
clarity, I hope!
  • Like 1

On Koningsdam, our VH balcony (4045) view out was like the pictures below.  If you looked directly down over the railing, you saw the walking (promenade) deck.  

IMG_1607.thumb.JPG.06659ea5dfa9c38b67fd71fc841fcc34.JPG

IMG_1619.thumb.JPG.4622a61c4019b720b38c1a93ca5580f1.JPG

IMG_1672.thumb.JPG.1dcc3eae482626e7817b737fa93cb1e4.JPG

342802720_IMG_16112.thumb.JPG.4d0b3909de848b798fc80e4070f3cc12.JPG

The last picture was in port, the white area is a building.  As VMax says, who knows what the Rotterdam is like.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

# 4039/4040/4041/4042/4043 and 4044 on Rotterdam

#4043/4044/4045 and 4046 on Koningsdam

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/4046-koningsdam/2022569848_Screenshot2021-11-10160346.jpg.ee2ad29f0b202bf0f52dad408a60efd1.jpg

OK, thanks VMaX. I should have known that "longways" had something to do with the direction of the length of the cabin (and the balcony of course...).

18 hours ago, Alphen said:

I do not know him either, but I also read his post on FB and he merely quoted from the question and answer session that was held on board with Captain, CD and the HD on Rotterdam, this was where the information came from.

I have taken the liberty to post a screen shot, so all credits for this info go to James Hills, who was so kind to post this information.

Thanks for your post.  But, who is James Hills?  What is his precise relationship with HAL?  Why would he have such "insider information" as to what will or will not happen?  Pardon for me being so skeptical, but, the more mature that I become, that skepticism seems to keep increasing.  

6 hours ago, Cajuntraveler said:

I have been trying to find out about the signature suite bathroom configuration on the Rotterdam.  Sorry to hear that there is no tub.  HAL's on line description says there is a whirlpool tub and shower.

Thank you, so much, for the info.

You're welcome

Can't help with Signature Suites or longwise verandas, but home now and posting this welcome we had boarding the Rotterdam on Nov. 5.  I realize now that, if patient, a short video will load!

Departing on Nov. 10th was a sad but the same number of happy and  friendly faces were present, thanking us for cruising with them.

My thanks go to all of you who followed and/or commented on this thread and especially to those who helped answer questions I could not.  

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, sansterre said:

Can't help with Signature Suites or longwise verandas, but home now and posting this welcome we had boarding the Rotterdam on Nov. 5.  I realize now that, if patient, a short video will load!

Departing on Nov. 10th was a sad but the same number of happy and  friendly faces were present, thanking us for cruising with them.

My thanks go to all of you who followed and/or commented on this thread and especially to those who helped answer questions I could not.  

Welcome home sansterre 🙂 

Thank you SO VERY much for your excellent posts and taking us along with you.  A very enjoyable thread with tons of great information.

Many thanks 🙂 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 5:27 PM, Vict0riann said:

That's Miguel from Argentina indeed, we had him on the Oosterdam,  Sydney to Seattle ,great person..

21 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

James Hills was at the question/answer session with the Captain, Cruise Director and Hotel Director. He was reporting the answers to the questions that passengers had asked.

Thanks for your post.  This man knows nothing more (and will say nothing more) than what he has been told/learned (and has been told to say) from his corporate bosses.  I remain skeptical of whatever he says.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for your post.  This man knows nothing more (and will say nothing more) than what he has been told/learned (and has been told to say) from his corporate bosses.  I remain skeptical of whatever he says.  

He does not work for Holland America Line, but apparently was invited to a press gathering along with other travel writers aboard. He wrote and this morning posted an excellent article about the Half Moon Bar:

https://www.mantripping.com/food-and-drink/drinking-our-way-through-150-years-of-history-at-holland-america-line-s-half-moon-bar.html

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2