Cruises you love to do but the $$$

On 10/20/2021 at 2:59 PM, lissie said:

Antarctica - did a 7 day trip with this company last summer - because we'd spent no travel budget on anything else - this is probably  going to be  my "only got 6 months to live - make sure the funeral cheque bounces" cruise https://www.heritage-expeditions.com/destinations/antarctica-travel/ross-sea-cruise/ 

Looks like a great trip - pity about the eye-watering prices, eh.

On 10/20/2021 at 3:02 PM, lissie said:

I'm eying up one of these - not too bad I thought for a week https://www.sail-croatia.com/croatia-cruises/explorer-cruises 

A lot of young Aussies do the 'Sail Croatia' cruises. They tie up at a different harbour each night and the kids go out and drink themselves stupid. Good times. I think they have ones for real adults though, too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

A lot of young Aussies do the 'Sail Croatia' cruises. They tie up at a different harbour each night and the kids go out and drink themselves stupid. Good times. I think they have ones for real adults though, too.

LOL - yes I was reading between the lines and thinking we'd go for the more upmarket versions - I like the idea of parking up each night being able to go off and eat onshore (and  drink...) 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 10:16 AM, ilikeanswers said:

We did Croatian Islands via ferry. A poor man's luxury yacht cruise😂. We got a few hours cruise and got to stay on the islands for a few days. 

We did this on Alaskan Marine Highway ferry. Staying at each town a few days then a truck camper trip from Anchorage.  Was a great way to see Alaska.

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

We did this on Alaskan Marine Highway ferry. Staying at each town a few days then a truck camper trip from Anchorage.  Was a great way to see Alaska.

That is something I would love to do, though I hear they are potentially shutting it down😔

7 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

That is something I would love to do, though I hear they are potentially shutting it down😔

I don’t see how it can be shut down without replacement as lots of Alaskan towns inc the capital can only be reached via water.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I don’t see how it can be shut down without replacement as lots of Alaskan towns inc the capital can only be reached via water.

They would have to go back to the pre ferry system of private boats and water taxis which locals say would be too expensive and infeasible but for some reason the Alaskan government is so determined to shut it down🤷‍♀️. They were supposed to slash routes this year but with the pandemic I'm guessing the government didn't want to come across mean spirited😆. Fingers crossed it is still operating when I finally get to visit Alaska. 

We've always wanted to do the 35 day Princess Sydney, Hawaii, Tahiti, NZ, Sydney round trip, but the price was a bit much for us. However with missing 2 years, 3 by the departure time of 30 April 2023, we have enough to do the trip. Great fare with the drinks package thrown in for only $40.00/day PP. Do you think we will actually be cruising by then?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

We've always wanted to do the 35 day Princess Sydney, Hawaii, Tahiti, NZ, Sydney round trip, but the price was a bit much for us. However with missing 2 years, 3 by the departure time of 30 April 2023, we have enough to do the trip. Great fare with the drinks package thrown in for only $40.00/day PP. Do you think we will actually be cruising by then?

I think so, a very strong chance for sure.

With international borders opening up for Aussies next month, I feel cruising will be back before our winter season next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

30.4.23, one would hope so, otherwise the cruise industry is really doomed.

We were booked on the Royal Princess to cruise from Vancouver around Alaska across to Japan and cruise around Japan it was a great itinerary and price.  I have been checking princess website to see if they plan that cruise in the future to no avail.  It was a great price too.  

I would love to go on a Circle Australia Cruise, but only on a small cruise ship,  like Silverseas, Seabourn, Viking.  I live in NZ  and now only want to travel close to home.  The only ships doing this cruise seem to be Princess or P&O.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, harbourside said:

I would love to go on a Circle Australia Cruise, but only on a small cruise ship,  like Silverseas, Seabourn, Viking.  I live in NZ  and now only want to travel close to home.  The only ships doing this cruise seem to be Princess or P&O.

The Princess ship, Coral Princess, is one of the smallest in their fleet but, of course, is not as luxurious as the lines you mentioned. However Princess are very good for longer cruises with very good food, good entertainment, and good bars and lounges on that size ship. The cabins are a bit small but if you're prepared to pay luxury line prices you could book a suite or minisuite. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The Princess ship, Coral Princess, is one of the smallest in their fleet but, of course, is not as luxurious as the lines you mentioned. However Princess are very good for longer cruises with very good food, good entertainment, and good bars and lounges on that size ship. The cabins are a bit small but if you're prepared to pay luxury line prices you could book a suite or minisuite. 

The title of this topic says it all.  Its on the WISH list.  We did six river cruises with APT and Scenic before doing a cruise with Princess. After river cruising we did not enjoy all the crowds, and the nickle and diming.    It took me ages to convince my husband to give ocean cruising another try on a smaller ship and we tried Viking as it was a good price at the time.  It was a good fit.  So at least he agreed to go on another cruise with Viking. We have of course had two cancelled, and have another booked but just  around Australia and NZ.  Without the expensive airfares to Europe, (will only go premium or Business class now, nearly all our flights have been in economy but the body can not longer take the long flights,)  it leaves more in the budget for the cruise.  We only do one cruise a year and with no cruising for three years (next cruise is in 2023),  the budget may stretch to it.

12 minutes ago, harbourside said:

The title of this topic says it all.  Its on the WISH list.  We did six river cruises with APT and Scenic before doing a cruise with Princess. After river cruising we did not enjoy all the crowds, and the nickle and diming.    It took me ages to convince my husband to give ocean cruising another try on a smaller ship and we tried Viking as it was a good price at the time.  It was a good fit.  So at least he agreed to go on another cruise with Viking. We have of course had two cancelled, and have another booked but just  around Australia and NZ.  Without the expensive airfares to Europe, (will only go premium or Business class now, nearly all our flights have been in economy but the body can not longer take the long flights,)  it leaves more in the budget for the cruise.  We only do one cruise a year and with no cruising for three years (next cruise is in 2023),  the budget may stretch to it.

Fair enough but you might not be able to do a full Round Australia cruise with any of those lines. But keep checking each time they release new itineraries, you might be lucky to find one doing the circumnavigation.

13 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Fair enough but you might not be able to do a full Round Australia cruise with any of those lines. But keep checking each time they release new itineraries, you might be lucky to find one doing the circumnavigation.

Might have to settle for Azamara Feb 2024 Sydney to Perth. Would like to try Azamara.