Muster Drill

esther e

Much simplified to keep people from crowding into small spaces. 

Celebrity never had passengers line up on deck as other cruise lines do.  Maybe eventually Celebrity will go back to having everyone gather at their “mustard stations”😊 but for now just watch the video and stop by your station to be checked in.

When we went to the muster station, a sticker was put on our key card, to confirm that indeed we had watched the video. We were initially sent an email the previous weekend, indicating that we could pre watch the video.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

When we went to the muster station, a sticker was put on our key card, to confirm that indeed we had watched the video. We were initially sent an email the previous weekend, indicating that we could pre watch the video.

I didn't even get a sticker last time (a few weeks ago). They just scanned the card and sent me on my way. I barely broke stride. 

I did have to watch the video on embarkation day though (and did so that morning before boarding).

OP, if you would like someone to demonstrate the life vest for you (or you don't watch the video), there is someone at the station to do that. 

18 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I did have to watch the video on embarkation day though (and did so that morning before boarding).

Glad you mentioned this - I was about to post that I read on the RC board that many were able to do this at home,  or in the hotel room the evening before or that morning. 

Nice that Celebrity will work the same, for us early risers on sail away day. 

14 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Glad you mentioned this - I was about to post that I read on the RC board that many were able to do this at home,  or in the hotel room the evening before or that morning. 

Nice that Celebrity will work the same, for us early risers on sail away day. 

It's only a couple or few minutes long, so it really isn't a big deal to do on board if that's what you had to do. Still, it is nice to kill those few minutes on shore! 

• Like 1

In US you can watch the short video on TV or App.   Then you go to muster station snd they scan your card.   Each cruise they have had about 100 who did not follow the simple instructions and are required to attend an in person drill before the ship can depart. 

5 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Much simplified to keep people from crowding into small spaces. 

Celebrity never had passengers line up on deck as other cruise lines do.  Maybe eventually Celebrity will go back to having everyone gather at their “mustard stations”😊 but for now just watch the video and stop by your station to be checked in.

Back in the day, 1997 up until about 2002 Celebrity required you to line up outside at your muster station with your life jacket on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Back in the day, 1997 up until about 2002 Celebrity required you to line up outside at your muster station with your life jacket on.

Actually, my memory is that our first two cruises on the long departed Mercury required folks to actually don the life jacket and stand out on the deck below your assigned life boat.  Both of those cruises were in 2008.

One of those cruises left from San Diego and it was quite cool that day.  Our group was lined up on the Mercury port side and passengers from a Holland America ship were across from us also wearing their life jackets and in formation on a deck.  Apparently those of us on the Celebrity cruise followed directions better than those on the HA cruise as we were dismissed before they were.  I was wearing long sleeves and a light weight fleece jacket, and it was such a relief to go inside out of the moist cool weather.

I remember that they change their procedure after a couple of people tripped while wearing the lifejackets because they could not see the lip on the door sill coming in from outside, and failed to step over it. Some also tripped on the long belts being dragged behind the lifejackets as people were walking back to their state rooms. So it turned out that the safety drill had some un-safe procedures

• Haha 1

On Equinox the muster drill was digital. You watch the muster instructions on your smart phone app or state room TV and check that you did it. Then you go to your muster station and check in with crew there showing you sea pass. It is over very fast. We did not have to go to lifeboat stations or wear life vests or go in large groups to a muster station to watch muster instructions.  It is so much easier and quicker now. I really hope this new system remains in place after Corona Virus protocols finally are over. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

It is so much easier and quicker now. I really hope this new system remains in place after Corona Virus protocols finally are over. 

It will.  This was the 'new' practice long before COVID.  It just happens to serve an additional useful purpose now re social distancing..

Muster 2.0 was introduced with the restart of cruising.  There is no mass gathering of people at a set time at the muster station.  As others have said you watch a short (2 min) video about putting on a life jacket on your device or stateroom TV,  Then starting around noon through mid afternoon you go to your muster station individually and get you cards scanned by the muster leader (another 2 minutes).  Then you are done.  Yes this will continue after covid.

1 hour ago, Alakegirl said:

I remember that they change their procedure after a couple of people tripped while wearing the lifejackets because they could not see the lip on the door sill coming in from outside, and failed to step over it. Some also tripped on the long belts being dragged behind the lifejackets as people were walking back to their state rooms. So it turned out that the safety drill had some un-safe procedures

That was me, not being able to see over the life jacket, especially going down the steps.  I still have masks that I cannot see over.  I was so glad when they changed it.  

6 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

You could watch it on your stateroom TV but that did not replace going to the in-person drill. You basically saw the same film that they showed at the drill, which was repeated in a loop on one of the TV stations on boarding day

Agree. Mandatory to report to with your life vest, be checked in, watch the in person demonstration as a group and put on the life vest at your assigned muster station. We like the sounds of the current muster procedure.

Edited by davekathy

4 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We started cruising on Celebrity in 2002 and did line up outside for several years.