CDC Extends CSO through Jan 15, 2022

Ken the cruiser

CDC Extends Conditional Sail Order Through January 15, 2022; Voluntary Program After That - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

CDC Extends Conditional Sailing Order Until Early 2022 (cruisehive.com)

CDC extends conditional sailing order Jan. 15, then becomes voluntary (seatrade-cruise.com)

Transition to fewer than 95% vaccinated passengers

One change is that ships operating with 95% of crew and passengers fully vaccinated may transition to operating with fewer than 95% vaccinated passengers without first conducting a simulated voyage, with several provisions. They must have a 60-day transition period with the 95% level and continue to have 95% of crew fully vaccinated.

They'll also need to incorporate additional mask use, distancing and other measures. They additionally must have procedures for notifying passengers who booked a 95% passenger vaccinated cruise that their sailing will no longer operate as such.

Ships that have been operating outside US waters and intend to transition to operating with fewer than 95% vaccinated passengers will need to follow these same procedures but also must conduct one simulation of embarkation screening and testing at the terminal it intends to use in the US —  unless the ship will be operating at the terminal already in use by the same cruise line for passenger operations.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

Was it the CDC or the cruise lines that came up with the requirement for negative pre-cruise antigen/PCR tests for passengers to present during the final check-in process prior to boarding? First, the requirement was for within a 72 hour window, then it was changed to 3 days, and now 2 days prior to embarkation.

I know Celebrity initially tried but ultimately failed to start administering them to all passengers prior to the Edge's 7/31 cruise, but then on the next cruise required passengers to present proof of a negative test prior to boarding. Was that a Celebrity, RCG or CDC inspired decision?

I tried looking through the CSO Technical Order updates and couldn't see where the CDC ever "required" cruise lines to do that starting the end of July. If you think it was the CDC, would you please post the section in the CSO TI where it says that?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

I’m all in for vaccines but eagerly awaiting the end of pre-cruise testing anguish.

We agree as long as everyone on the cruise has been vaccinated. This includes eliminating the need for testing B2B cruisers prior to being allowed to continue on to the next leg. However, if someone is diagnosed with COVID while on a cruise, existing protocols should be implemented to include those associated with contact tracing. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, CHOPPERTESTER said:

Once youth vaccine is approved then can only sail with 100% vaccinated except for medical exemption (contradiction to vaccine). Sorry kiddies under 5. Get rid of mask and distancing. Get back to normal cruising.

I'd rather they stick with everyone who CAN be vaccinated should be so, but no medical exemption.  Only age exemption.  They only ever get a handful of littles on Celebrity, but the little under 5 are usually not an issue.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cruzzzinma said:

I still do not see in this where it says passengers MUST provide a negative covid test 2 days before sailing?  This doesn't even say the cruise line has to require a test at all.  I have seen a lot of people say that the CDC is mandating this but I cannot seem to find anything where the CDC says it is mandatory to test negative within 2 days of sailing, let alone any other number of days.  This then asks the question why can't the cruise lines go back to 3 days before sailing to test?    

3 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

I still do not see in this where it says passengers MUST provide a negative covid test 2 days before sailing?  This doesn't even say the cruise line has to require a test at all.  I have seen a lot of people say that the CDC is mandating this but I cannot seem to find anything where the CDC says it is mandatory to test negative within 2 days of sailing, let alone any other number of days.  This then asks the question why can't the cruise lines go back to 3 days before sailing to test?    

• People who decide to go on a cruise should get tested 1–3 days before their trip  regardless of vaccination status.

not a law but part of the suggestions for travel from CDC to Cruise lines.  I agree 3 would be easier but get the 2 days cause it’s safer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, s0479 said:
  • People who decide to go on a cruise should get tested 1–3 days before their trip  regardless of vaccination status.

not a law but part of the suggestions for travel from CDC to Cruise lines.  I agree 3 would be easier but get the 2 days cause it’s safer.

The problem is this says "Should" not "MUST" get tested.  A lot of people keep saying the cruise lines are doing what the CDC has mandated and I would just like to see where it has been mandated.  If it is the cruise lines that are requiring this then they should be transparent about that.  With the holidays coming up I believe it is going to become very difficult to get a covid test within 2 days of sailing.  Even the at home tests are limited and the ones I got expire in mid December and that is with a extension.  I only see 1 company who has the allowed at home testing which also makes this more difficult.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Thanks to the sleuthing of @Earthworm Jimon a similar thread, try this link and look under the subheading of "Testing of Embarking and Disembarking Passengers for Restricted Voyages")

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

Screening Testing of All Embarking and Disembarking Passengers for Restricted Voyages
  Not Fully Vaccinated Passengers Fully Vaccinated Passengers
Pre-embarkation Day Testing (including simulated voyages) Viral (NAAT or antigen test)* no more than 3 days before boarding; NAAT is preferred Viral (NAAT or antigen test) no more than 2 days before boarding

OR

Viral test on embarkation day
Embarkation Day Testing Viral (NAAT or antigen test)*; NAAT is preferred
Disembarkation Testing ^  Viral (NAAT or antigen test) Not Applicable
Back-to-Back Sailing¥ Testing Viral (NAAT or antigen test) Recommended Viral (NAAT or antigen test)

* Either the pre-embarkation day test or the embarkation day test must be NAAT.

† Fully vaccinated passengers may use a self-test (sometimes referred to as home test)—see specifications in section below.

^ Disembarkation testing is only required for voyages of more than 4 nights.

¥ Back-to-back sailing refers to passengers who stay on board for two or more voyages.

• Due to the increased transmissibility of some SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern, cruise ship operators must inform passengers of the following documentation requirements:
    • Not fully vaccinated passengers must present a negative COVID-19 NAAT test result at the time of embarkation. The specimen must be taken no more than 3 days before boarding.
    • Fully vaccinated passengers must present a SARS-CoV-2 negative viral test result at the time of embarkation. The specimen must be taken no more than 2 days before boarding.
      • Fully vaccinated passengers may use a self-test (sometimes referred to as home test)—see specifications in section below.
      • In lieu of testing pre-embarkation day, cruise ship operators may test fully vaccinated passengers on the day of embarkation.
    • Information requirements for pre-embarkation testing documentation:
      • Type of test (indicating it is a NAAT or antigen test)
      • Entity issuing the result (e.g., laboratory, healthcare entity, telehealth service)
      • Specimen collection date
      • Information that identifies the person (full name plus at least one other identifier such as date of birth or passport number)
      • Test result
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks to the sleuthing of @Earthworm Jimon a similar thread, try this link and look under the subheading of "Testing of Embarking and Disembarking Passengers for Restricted Voyages")

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

Screening Testing of All Embarking and Disembarking Passengers for Restricted Voyages
  Not Fully Vaccinated Passengers Fully Vaccinated Passengers
Pre-embarkation Day Testing (including simulated voyages) Viral (NAAT or antigen test)* no more than 3 days before boarding; NAAT is preferred Viral (NAAT or antigen test) no more than 2 days before boarding

OR

Viral test on embarkation day
Embarkation Day Testing Viral (NAAT or antigen test)*; NAAT is preferred
Disembarkation Testing ^  Viral (NAAT or antigen test) Not Applicable
Back-to-Back Sailing¥ Testing Viral (NAAT or antigen test) Recommended Viral (NAAT or antigen test)

* Either the pre-embarkation day test or the embarkation day test must be NAAT.

† Fully vaccinated passengers may use a self-test (sometimes referred to as home test)—see specifications in section below.

^ Disembarkation testing is only required for voyages of more than 4 nights.

¥ Back-to-back sailing refers to passengers who stay on board for two or more voyages.

• Due to the increased transmissibility of some SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern, cruise ship operators must inform passengers of the following documentation requirements:
    • Not fully vaccinated passengers must present a negative COVID-19 NAAT test result at the time of embarkation. The specimen must be taken no more than 3 days before boarding.
    • Fully vaccinated passengers must present a SARS-CoV-2 negative viral test result at the time of embarkation. The specimen must be taken no more than 2 days before boarding.
      • Fully vaccinated passengers may use a self-test (sometimes referred to as home test)—see specifications in section below.
      • In lieu of testing pre-embarkation day, cruise ship operators may test fully vaccinated passengers on the day of embarkation.
    • Information requirements for pre-embarkation testing documentation:
      • Type of test (indicating it is a NAAT or antigen test)
      • Entity issuing the result (e.g., laboratory, healthcare entity, telehealth service)
      • Specimen collection date
      • Information that identifies the person (full name plus at least one other identifier such as date of birth or passport number)
      • Test result

Thank you.  Reading it now and wondering if they plan to update this at all.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

The problem is this says "Should" not "MUST" get tested.  A lot of people keep saying the cruise lines are doing what the CDC has mandated and I would just like to see where it has been mandated.  If it is the cruise lines that are requiring this then they should be transparent about that.  With the holidays coming up I believe it is going to become very difficult to get a covid test within 2 days of sailing.  Even the at home tests are limited and the ones I got expire in mid December and that is with a extension.  I only see 1 company who has the allowed at home testing which also makes this more difficult.

Under the August 27, 2021 CSO modification description listed in the first paragraph of the CDC CSO found at the below link, the words "voluntary basis" stick out pretty clearly. Of course, I guess a cruise line could choose not to implement these suggested CDC preventative measures as they are voluntary, but do they really want to? 

Revised screening testing and documentation requirements for fully vaccinated passengers and those who are not fully vaccinated, for pre-embarkation, embarkation, and back-to-back sailing, for cruise ships operating under the CSO, including those choosing to follow CSO measures on a voluntary basis. This change was due to the increased transmissibility of some COVID-19 variants of concern, and evidence of breakthrough cases in fully vaccinated individuals,

Added language reflecting that, as of July 23, 2021, the CSO and accompanying measures, such as technical instructions, are nonbinding recommendations for cruise ships arriving in, located within, or departing from a port in Florida. However, CDC will continue to operate the CSO as a voluntary program for such ships should they choose to follow the CSO measures on a voluntary basis.

COVID-19 Operations Manual for Simulated and Restricted Voyages under the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order | Quarantine | CDC

35 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Under the August 27, 2021 CSO modification description listed in the first paragraph of the CDC CSO found at the below link, the words "voluntary basis" stick out pretty clearly. Of course, I guess a cruise line could choose not to implement these suggested CDC preventative measures as they are voluntary, but do they really want to?

Nope.  As noted in another long and contentious thread from some weeks ago, the CDC has set a 0.1% threshold (that's 1 passenger per 1,000) shipboard positivity rate to push a ship into 'yellow' status.  If the CDC subsequently decides that the line isn't being sufficiently cooperative, they can then push the ship into 'red' and refuse to permit sailings from U.S. ports.

• Like 1

I realize there are wide ranging opinions on this, but we’re dealing with a highly contagious illness and caution is the right approach in my world.  The pre cruise testing is a hassle/headache, but even if the CDC calls it “guidance” rather than a mandate, I am all for it.  It’s in the interest of public safety, I’m not a medical wizard, so I can’t decipher the statistics and the epidemiology like some can.   I’m just thankful we can cruise without mandatory masks.  If pre cruise testing helps to ensure that (no masks) is ok to do, I’ll take it.

• Like 6

We are currently on the Edge which has not had a case of Covid in 10 cruises so it seems requiring vaccinated passengers and a test 2 days before is working.  With the on line  proctored tests which you can do 24/7 testing shouldn’t be a issue. It is great to be on a ship in a almost normal environment.  The crew is still masked and had hoped with the anticipated expiration of the CSO they could get rid of masks but that may be delayed.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Nope.  As noted in another long and contentious thread from some weeks ago, the CDC has set a 0.1% threshold (that's 1 passenger per 1,000) shipboard positivity rate to push a ship into 'yellow' status.  If the CDC subsequently decides that the line isn't being sufficiently cooperative, they can then push the ship into 'red' and refuse to permit sailings from U.S. ports.

I agree with you completely. The phrase “voluntary basis” leaves much to the imagination. 

48 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We are currently on the Edge which has not had a case of Covid in 10 cruises so it seems requiring vaccinated passengers and a test 2 days before is working.  With the on line  proctored tests which you can do 24/7 testing shouldn’t be a issue. It is great to be on a ship in a almost normal environment.  The crew is still masked and had hoped with the anticipated expiration of the CSO they could get rid of masks but that may be delayed.  

Has the Edge crew been allowed to go ashore yet? When we were on our Edge B3B in August, they had not yet been allowed to go ashore since they first boarded.

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Once aboard, you can drink away your pre-cruise testing inconvenience blues and hopefully have a virus free cruise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Has the Edge crew been allowed to go ashore yet? When we were on our Edge B3B in August, they had not yet been allowed to go ashore since they first boarded.

We were on Edge last week. They had a crew excursion in Cozumel.  Not available to all crew. I don’t know how they determined who could go on the excursion. They also tested the entire crew on Thursday, 1,019 crew members. All Negative. 

• Thanks 1