Flying to port same day…

happywife0921

…..sounds like a very bad idea with all the cancellations that have been happening, plus it leaves on Thanksgiving so add rush holiday travel to that. Now I’m getting anxiety about possible delays and cancellations, plus I’m a nurse and we’re short staffed at holidays already so manager wasn’t accommodating with trying to fly out the day before. I already booked it last minute because I got an offer for a free interior room and I just didn’t want to turn it down, but didn’t really consider the other travel logistics. Anyone think it might turn out okay? Or is it too risky? 

29 minutes ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

If you can fly Southwest maybe book multiple flights (if there are).  SW allows last minute cancellations (of the flight you don’t use) where you could get money back (save for future travel).  Hopefully multiple flights out of the same city wouldn’t be cancelled. 

I had booked the 6 am flight on southwest out of NYC, the only other flight that would arrive in time to get to port is the 7:50. I may take your advice and book it as well just in case.

29 minutes ago, happywife0921 said:

I had booked the 6 am flight on southwest out of NYC, the only other flight that would arrive in time to get to port is the 7:50. I may take your advice and book it as well just in case.

Always risky, but sometimes everything does not work out the way you want it to and you must take the chance. Do not book a connecting flight, to much chance for a delay that you do not need. 

• Like 1

It's always a risk, of course, but it's always turned out OK for me when I did it.  Oddly, I've had more trouble flying out the day before with cancellations and weather than the day off, which caused me to fly in the day off anyway.  You're flying from NYC?  At least you have the possibility of finding another flight on another airline--heck, you even have a few airports.

8 hours ago, happywife0921 said:

…..sounds like a very bad idea with all the cancellations that have been happening, plus it leaves on Thanksgiving so add rush holiday travel to that. Now I’m getting anxiety about possible delays and cancellations, plus I’m a nurse and we’re short staffed at holidays already so manager wasn’t accommodating with trying to fly out the day before. I already booked it last minute because I got an offer for a free interior room and I just didn’t want to turn it down, but didn’t really consider the other travel logistics. Anyone think it might turn out okay? Or is it too risky? 

🤞🤞for you. 

And thank you for your work as a nurse. I know when DW was recently at an emergency room after a fall, there are no people in the world more compassionate than nurses.

Although I would never suggest same day as cruise flights in general, the fact that you are leaving on the actual holiday may be to your benefit.  

We usually fly out of state for Thanksgiving (not this year but is customary for us to do so) and ALWAYS fly Thanksgiving morning.  We have found there is virtually no one on the roads and very little people in the airport as it seems like most of flyers go the day before (the most traveled day of the year).  Unless there are a lot of hold overs from flights that were delayed from day before, you may actually make out ok going the morning of the actual holiday. 

Of course, definitely have plan B ready to go if possible just in case and good luck! 

I am a nurse too and booked a flight for the same day from Atlanta to Miami in Jan 2022.  It leaves Atlanta at 0700 and arrives in Miami 9ish.  If something happens, there are 2 other flights from Atlanta to Miami on the same carrier ( Delta) that arrive in Miami before noon.  I know it's a chance, but couldn't take the extra time off work.  Felt it was worth the chance with the (total) of 3 flights arriving before noon.  Plus I booked transfers via the cruise line.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

My trust for the airlines have taken a hit these past few weeks.  We were going to fly into LA the day before boarding the ship but now we're flying in two days before.  The price for another hotel night is a small price to pay for the peace of mind.

• Like 1

Chances are low that you will miss your cruise, but they are there. I will never ever fly in the day of. Even more so in this day and age of labor shortages, and people not wanting to work anymore. With all of the recent complications, I can only imagine a major holiday adding to the problem.

Flying in the day before has become part of the cruise experience for us. We spend the night enjoying the city. The next morning is infinitely less stressful. Usually by the pool or beach, eating, drinking, and relaxing. Then around 12-1, we make our leisurely stroll to the ship. No worrying about flight delays, where to put our bags, getting in the room ASAP. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jobeth66 said:

I'd second the advice to try to fly out after work the night before your cruise - being in NYC you can check LGA, JFK and EWR - if someone has a late-night flight it might be worth it to book.  Good luck!

Don't forget MacArthur (Islip).

However, from Islip there will probably be a change or stop in Baltimore. However, Baltimore is a Southwest hub and changes are the flight will be nonstop from Baltimore.

Even if you can only make it to Baltimore the night before, your will be closer to Florida and BWI can have better winter weather than airports in NYC.

It certainly wouldn't take you any longer to drive to Islip than it would to Newark in the day before Thanksgiving traffic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Don't forget MacArthur (Islip).

However, from Islip there will probably be a change or stop in Baltimore. However, Baltimore is a Southwest hub and changes are the flight will be nonstop from Baltimore.

Even if you can only make it to Baltimore the night before, your will be closer to Florida and BWI can have better winter weather than airports in NYC.

It certainly wouldn't take you any longer to drive to Islip than it would to Newark in the day before Thanksgiving traffic.

Except EWR is a quick train ride from Penn Station, and you can't get to Islip via mass transit.  I sure wouldn't drive to any of the NYC-adjacent airports if I didn't have to!!  🙂

• Like 1

@happywife0921 I didn't mean to minimize your financial risk in post #10. Time is money and our vacation time is priceless. I was burnt by Spirit this summer and am trying to use my credits at the end of Dec. I hope all the airlines can get it together. I think there should be more of a financial penalty for them rather than allowing these mass cancellations to keep occurring.

3 hours ago, Jobeth66 said:

Except EWR is a quick train ride from Penn Station, and you can't get to Islip via mass transit.  I sure wouldn't drive to any of the NYC-adjacent airports if I didn't have to!!  🙂

The OP is in Brooklyn, not NJ or Manhattan.

Chances are that she would drive (or cab) to LaGuardia or Newark and not fight with luggage on the subway or train. For Newark, the easier route will be by car through Staten Island.

Going through Manhattan on Thanksgiving morning is a nightmare by any type of transportation due to the parade.

Depending where she is in Brooklyn, it is an easy (except for possible traffic) drive by the Belt and Southern State Parkways to Sunrise over to Veterans and the airport (or the BQE and LIE to Vets).

Side note: I am appalled by the grammatical and spelling errors in my first post. I do know better.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

If you can fly Southwest maybe book multiple flights (if there are).  SW allows last minute cancellations (of the flight you don’t use) where you could get money back (save for future travel).  Hopefully multiple flights out of the same city wouldn’t be cancelled. 

They will cancel one of the flights if multiple flights are booked.  I had that happen to me.  I had booked a second flight thinking it would be a backup plan.  They actually cancelled the flight that I preferred.  I called and was told that their system automatically cancels the most expensive flight.  She rescheduled it for me at the original price I paid, but it was a hassle.  If you are booking a backup plan, it must be on another airline.

• Like 1