Why do the cruise lines give free tests to children at the pier, but adults must bring proof ahead of time

It’s like a double standard to me that adults must pay and bring with them and negative test for Cove it before boarding the cruise line well why are children giving a free test at the fear when adults are me to get it ahead of time and pay for it that sounds like a double standard. Why don’t they just make it everyone needs to have it to go on the cruise a negative test and let children get them ahead of time to just like adults do.

• Like 2

It’s not so easy to find places that will give adults a test within 48 hours for results it’s a vacation supposed to be stress-free so if the kids can get it for free at the pier they should make that open to everyone that’s how I feel

• Like 2

It is available.  $99. 

You can also pre-purchase and do the online test.  But that’s an antigen test and not what they want for kids. 

Sure, it’s a headache and there is lots of flexibility required for a vacation these days.  There are always other options. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, goldengirl said:

It’s like a double standard to me that adults must pay and bring with them and negative test for Cove it before boarding the cruise line well why are children giving a free test at the fear when adults are me to get it ahead of time and pay for it that sounds like a double standard. Why don’t they just make it everyone needs to have it to go on the cruise a negative test and let children get them ahead of time to just like adults do.

Because kids are unvaxxed and have a higher probability of carrying Covid onboard. No double standard. Smart risk mitigation. 

• Like 8

Kids must get tested within 3 days of the cruise which parents pay for and then they must also get tested by Royal at the pier. They are having to get tested 2 times while the vaccinated only have to get tested 1 time.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Kids must get tested within 3 days of the cruise which parents pay for and then they must also get tested by Royal at the pier. They are having to get tested 2 times while the vaccinated only have to get tested 1 time.

Exactly… my kids are getting tested today for our cruise on Monday, and will still get tested at the pier. There’s no double standard. 

And if you do your covid test at a pharmacy, they’re almost all free. I did it at cvs and they didn’t even ask for my insurance card. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, katkel said:

Free port testing was provided in Europe, and was a part of the boarding protocol. So, I agree it's unfair and adds to the stress for US departures. 

You can’t compare America and European protocols, different governments making different protocols with different ways to pay for them. 

• Like 1

I’ve been tested dozens of times.  Haven’t paid a thing.  

Testing everyone at the pier would take a very long time.   They would need much more space in terminals that aren’t designed to have it.  It would be hard to get thousands tested and still leave at a reasonable time.  

It simply doesn't scale to test thousands at the pier.  Testing 60, 70, or 80 kids is painful enough for those involved.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, goldengirl said:

It’s not so easy to find places that will give adults a test within 48 hours for results it’s a vacation supposed to be stress-free so if the kids can get it for free at the pier they should make that open to everyone that’s how I feel

Cruising during covid is  a far cry from stress free. Also, do you really want to be waiting in line while 3000 plus passengers are testing for covid and waiting for results?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, goldengirl said:

It’s not so easy to find places that will give adults a test within 48 hours for results 

A small point, but, maybe it will help you.  It's 2 days , not 48 hours.  You can get tested at 1am on Friday for a cruise departing Sunday at 10pm.  

I'm going on Virgin Voyages soon and it sounds like a total cluster with everyone required to do embarkation testing. I'd much rather just do the 48 hr rapid antigen Binax test. I will test for myself before I get on the plane and before I go to the pier.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

I'm going on Virgin Voyages soon and it sounds like a total cluster with everyone required to do embarkation testing. I'd much rather just do the 48 hr rapid antigen Binax test. I will test for myself before I get on the plane and before I go to the pier.

It wasn't a big deal at all when Adventure was sailing out of Nassau.

14 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

It wasn't a big deal at all when Adventure was sailing out of Nassau.

I went on Adventure out of Nassau and when I went they weren't testing us at embarkation. We tested at home beforehand and brought the printed out results. Did they change that?

23 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

I went on Adventure out of Nassau and when I went they weren't testing us at embarkation. We tested at home beforehand and brought the printed out results. Did they change that?

The first few voyages in Adventure out of Nassau did testing at the pier, the entry requirement for the Bahamas changed quickly necessitating testing prior to arrival on the island. 
It worked for awhile, but remember there are VERY small numbers on those voyages, nothing like what is currently going on.

As pointed out, the double standard is that children must be tested twice and that the second time must be at the pier. Adults can test ahead of time and just show up with results. 

Frankly, I don't understand so many demanding covid tests at the pier. Who wants to go through all the time, effort, and expense to arrive at the pier and then be denied boarding at the threshold? Be very careful what you wish for. 

I much prefer the luxury of testing beforehand. If it happens to be positive, then I can stay home. If negative, then I know I can just head on board.  

On 11/5/2021 at 12:52 AM, goldengirl said:

why are children giving a free test at the fear when adults are me to get it ahead of time and pay for it that sounds like a double standard.

COVID tests are free.  If you pay for the home kit the cost is reimbursable through a FSA account.  

Cruising may not be a good fit for you at this time.  Maybe in a few months time there will be some changes and things will fell less stressful for you.  

On 11/5/2021 at 12:52 AM, goldengirl said:

Unvaccinated children also need to get them ahead of time, just like vaccinated persons age 12+.

The "free" test at the pier is in addition to the earlier test, which everyone needs to get.  Everyone needs to get the earlier test, no double standard.  Everyone is treated the same.