Can a HAL fan convince me to switch from Princess for Alaska cruise?

PACD_JG

I'm currently booked on a Vancouver-Whittier cruise on 06/25/22 onboard the Royal Princess.  I am disappointed because I had originally booked on the Dolphin Deck of the Sapphire Princess.  Here's what I lost from my original cruise:

1.  The Royal sails west of Vancouver Island, and I wanted to sail through Johnstone Strait in the hopes of seeing Orca northern residents (seen southern residents numerous times).

2.  For whatever reason, Glacier Bay was eliminated from my original cruise and replaced with Hubbard Glacier.  I'm sure Hubbard is great, but I'm a bit of a completist and Glacier Bay isn't the easiest to visit.

3.  The Sapphire had a covered pool which I figured would be nice on an Alaskan cruise.  I see the Koningsdam has one.

4.  My original balcony was huge, and the Royal Princess balcony is only 9x4.  Looks like the Koningsdam balconies aren't that big either, but I think they are bigger than Royal's?

Before you say no brainer, I am booked on a mini-suite and an interior room across the hall.  It looks like the price will be similar to switch but I'd have to go with a Verandah room and interior room.  And I'll be with my 2 teenaged daughters, ages 15 and 14.  Also, the Koningsdam cruise is round-trip (I have been to Anchorage before but my wife and kids haven't - was planning on staying 2 nights in Palmer AK).  I also don't like the fact that if I switch to Holland I would lose $100 OBC for being a veteran - so that could be $300 since my wife and son (if he goes) are veterans too.  And if it matters, my 26 year old Vegan son and his partner might go - does HAL do Vegan better than Princess?  Thanks in advance.

Edited by PACD_JG

I cruised Royal's sister ship (Regal) and I gotta say....those ships are terrible for Alaska. It's a very inward-facing ship with no lounges that view the outdoors.  The best outdoor views are in the buffet.  They don't have anything like HAL's Crows Nest and like you said, none of the pools are covered.  

Why in the world would they cruise outside Vancouver Island when cruising out of Vancouver?  That sucks.  Hubbard Glacier is spectacular.  It far exceeds any glaciers you'll see in Glacier Bay.  However, GB is still a full day event that includes more than just glaciers.  I'd rather have GB on my itinerary.

Mini suites on Princess really aren't that nice because Princess staterooms feel so much smaller than other lines.  On Princess, you have to book a mini suite in order to have a couch in your room.  Frankly, there isn't a whole lot of difference between a Princess mini suite and a HAL veranda.  Plus, Koningsdam has very nice bathrooms with some of the nicest walk-in showers I've ever seen on a ship.  

I don't think I'd trade a one-way itinerary for a round trip.  That time spent in AK after the cruise is amazing and you would totally lose that by switching.

This is a tough one and no way do I think it's a no-brainer.  Are these your only 2 options?

• Like 2

Thanks for your comments Aquahound.  Technically, not my only options, but when I booked my cruise I was able to secure four DAY-YVR one-way tickets for only $785.12 on 06/24.  I haven't purchased the ANC-DAY one-ways yet because I haven't found a price I was comfortable with. Anyway, I was set to sail on 06/25 and those cruises are the only ones leaving Canada Place that day.

I guess I didn't mention - this is my family's first cruise.  I've researched enough to know HAL's reputation.  The most important thing for me is value, and I agree: it doesn't seem like a large ship like the Royal is good value for Alaska.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Only because of your teenaged daughters would I be unlikely to go on HAL.  

Thanks OCruisers.

We have watched some Youtube videos on the Koningsdam, and it does appear that it would be "less fun" for them.  But we're all ambiverts anyway, so "quiet" isn't necessarily awful.  If the internet service is good, they'll be happy (although I've read no cruise ship has really good internet on an Alaskan cruise). 

• Like 1

HAL has a ship, the Noordam, sailing from Vancouver to Whittier on 6/26.  You definitely want to do the inside passage and Glacier Bay.

HAL has a teens club onboard.  Teenage girls can make their own fun.  Don’t worry about them being entertained!  HAL has a lot of kids onboard Alaska cruises and many families.

• Thanks 1

Having been on both the Royal and the Koningsdam, and having done the inside passage, I would choose the Koningsdam hands down. It at least has a promenade you can walk completely around without going inside and back out like the Royal.  The Tamarind restaurant and Canaletto are very enjoyable venues. 

We love the inside passage and Glacier Bay,  for those reasons alone it is worth the 300$ loss.  The outside of Vancouver island offers no scenery to speak of as you are ways off shore, and the very real possibility of a rough passage.  

We’ve also really enjoyed the one way and time in Anchorage.  But the Noordam is an older ship, although I think now updated.  

if you choose a balcony on the fourth deck of Koningsdam they are a lot bigger.  

Happy cruising!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

I'm currently booked on a Vancouver-Whittier cruise on 06/25/22 onboard the Royal Princess.  I am disappointed because I had originally booked on the Dolphin Deck of the Sapphire Princess.  Here's what I lost from my original cruise:

1.  The Royal sails west of Vancouver Island, and I wanted to sail through Johnstone Strait in the hopes of seeing Orca northern residents (seen southern residents numerous times).

2.  For whatever reason, Glacier Bay was eliminated from my original cruise and replaced with Hubbard Glacier.  I'm sure Hubbard is great, but I'm a bit of a completist and Glacier Bay isn't the easiest to visit.

3.  The Sapphire had a covered pool which I figured would be nice on an Alaskan cruise.  I see the Koningsdam has one.

4.  My original balcony was huge, and the Royal Princess balcony is only 9x4.  Looks like the Koningsdam balconies aren't that big either, but I think they are bigger than Royal's?

Before you say no brainer, I am booked on a mini-suite and an interior room across the hall.  It looks like the price will be similar to switch but I'd have to go with a Verandah room and interior room.  And I'll be with my 2 teenaged daughters, ages 15 and 14.  Also, the Koningsdam cruise is round-trip (I have been to Anchorage before but my wife and kids haven't - was planning on staying 2 nights in Palmer AK).  I also don't like the fact that if I switch to Holland I would lose $100 OBC for being a veteran - so that could be $300 since my wife and son (if he goes) are veterans too.  And if it matters, my 26 year old Vegan son and his partner might go - does HAL do Vegan better than Princess?  Thanks in advance.

1.  HAL departures from Vancouver invariably sail through Johnstone Strait.  Seattle departures do not.
2.  Glacier Bay is very much the preserve of HAL and Princess.  Others go there, but not in similar numbers.  That being said, capacity is limited and sometimes the US National Park service can mandate changes
3.  All HAL ships have magrodomes over the Lido pool.  Pinnacle class (K'dam, Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam VII) have double height pool areas which makes for a nicer environment when the roof is closed.
4.  Very best choices on K'dam are deck 4 aft of the lifeboats--the appearance of extra depth on the deck plans is real.

My dining room experience on HAL is two years out of date, but pre-pandemic I would never hesitate to recommend the dining room team as well able to accommodate vegan dietary requirements, and providing choice when they do so.  

There are 7 day cruises from Vancouver to Seward on other HAL ships.  Koningsdam doesn't have to be your only choice, as the HAL quality of service is consistent across the fleet.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

Sailing quite a bit on both lines, more on Princess, I would go with the HAL cruise with Glacier Bay over the Royal Princess going to Hubbard Glacier.  Smaller ship size, better route.  better music entertainment venues.  Would give the food a slight tilt to HAL, with the exceptions of soups.

During the summer on Alaska cruises demographics for HAL shifts considerably younger than its normal older demographics (just as Princess does as well).

• Like 5

We have also done Alaska several times on both lines.

For us its HAL hands down for Alaska even though we generally sail Princess for other itineraries.  HAL generally sails inside passage and we would never consider a sail on the west coast of Van Island for the reasons given by others.  Inside passage is not to be missed.

HAL has better presentations and guides at the glaciers as well. (Hopefully they will still be on board).  Better viewing opportunities on HAL ships, lovely wrap around decks 

• Like 4

I think I'm ready to book on HAL.  Just to make sure...as long as you cancel more than 90 days prior 9 (that goes for both HAL and Princess), you'll get refunded your deposit, correct?

The rate is $8480 HAL, $8416 Princess.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

The Royal sails west of Vancouver Island, and I wanted to sail through Johnstone Strait in the hopes of seeing Orca northern residents (seen southern residents numerous times).

In order to have a visit to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier (both of which are very worthwhile), your itinerary is in the wrong direction for a possible Princess cruise.

As much as I like HAL, Princess' onboard Alaska cruise program is better than HAL's.  HAL's is very good, but, as of my 2019 Northbound cruise Vancouver to Seward on HAL and my Southbound cruise from Whittier to Vancouver on Coral Princess, there was a qualitative difference between the two Alaska in-board programs, in my opinion.  

Having just typed this, I think the Royal Class ships are too large for the Alaska market.  But, maybe, when you sail the number of guests aboard will still be restricted.  Who knows?  

11 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

Just to make sure...as long as you cancel more than 90 days prior 9 (that goes for both HAL and Princess), you'll get refunded your deposit, correct?

Neighbor:  The fare difference is peanuts.  Your question about refunds?  Don't depend on what you read on CC.  Depend on the fine print that your chosen cruise line states at the time that you book.  And, print it!  

• Like 2

Stick with Princess because you will have the beautiful HAL ships in the background of your Alaska photos, if you share Glacier Bay at the same time.

Otherwise, you will have the ugly Princess ships in your photos, if you are taking them from a HAL ship. (Not really joking.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I cruised Royal's sister ship (Regal) and I gotta say....those ships are terrible for Alaska. It's a very inward-facing ship with no lounges that view the outdoors.  The best outdoor views are in the buffet.  They don't have anything like HAL's Crows Nest and like you said, none of the pools are covered.  

This ^^^^^.   The sight lines toward the ocean on Princess ships are usually cluttered or blocked, both inside and outside. Frankly you might as well be in a hotel on land. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

For those who haven't sailed Princess Royal Class and seen their pathetic balconies, this is a standard balcony.  There are larger available, but this is the vast majority of them. 

But, at least the deck is a different covering than the plastic mesh that I experienced on Star Princess that probably helped to fuel the fire on that ship when there was a balcony fire.  

6 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

I think I'm ready to book on HAL.  Just to make sure...as long as you cancel more than 90 days prior 9 (that goes for both HAL and Princess), you'll get refunded your deposit, correct?

CHECK YOUR FARE!!. If you book have it all it is refundable. The "best price" fare is non refundable and there it says "Take advantage of this great cruise at the lowest fare available and a 50% reduced deposit (non-refundable)." 

There is a third fare called the advantage fare that has a refundable deposit but does not include the perks of HIA (wifi, shorex credit, specialty dining, beverage package) and usually floats somewhere about half way between the two fares. If you want to book this you must call or have your TA call. There is no way to book online. 

After you book double check your confirmation. They will let you switch fare types if you catch it quickly (and I believe 24 hours to cancel even with a non-refundable deposit but don't quote me on that). 

Edited by zgscl
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

As much as I like HAL, Princess' onboard Alaska cruise program is better than HAL's.  HAL's is very good, but, as of my 2019 Northbound cruise Vancouver to Seward on HAL and my Southbound cruise from Whittier to Vancouver on Coral Princess, there was a qualitative difference between the two Alaska in-board programs, in my opinion.  

We really enjoyed HAL's onboard experience this last year. They had a number of EXC talks which were all excellent. Not sure when they launched this but it was fantastic. They also had the post glacier bay rangers as well as a native Alaskan to talk about the people of Alaska. They also had a naturalist onboard. 

• Like 3

The Alaskan cruises are so port intensive meaning that you are off the ship most of the time.  Alaska cruises tend to be early to bed, early to rise because the ship docks in the morning, and excursions start early.  There is so much to see, that everyone is up and getting ready to get off the ship.

I think you have already made the hard decision, by choosing to sail one way out of Vancouver and the Inside Passage. (My Celebrity cruise out of Seattle was re-routed thru the Inside Passage due to a severe storm this past October, and OMG, the Inside Passage was beautiful).  I also think that the HAL teen program will offer your daughters enough fun social events on those sea days.

Give HAL a try!

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 11:49 AM, Aquahound said:

I would extend this even further and say the ships are terrible period. I'm not a fan of the Royal-class ships at all, for the reasons stated above. Why would you want to lose that connection with the sea on ANY itinerary?

These newer ships replace a class that I was already "meh" about, so chances are my cruises on Princess will be few and far between in future. And I say that a bit sadly having cruised with them so many years. 

• Like 4

My DH and I have completed 15 Alaska cruises many on HAL and Princess.  We loved the 14 day HAL Alaska cruise and are hoping when the COVID dust settles that HAL will once again offer that great cruise.

For us, there are some advantages to HAL over Princess.  In Juneau Princess docks one mile away from town!  There is no ship provided transportation to downtown and cabs are few and far between.  This can be a major issue when you are a senior, especially with ambulatory issues.  HAL docks right in town which is a major convenience.

The same is true of Ketchikan.  When there are many ships in town Princess often docks away from town while HAL has berths in town.

Edited by JudithLynne
  • Like 3