CBD on caribbean cruise

Agree with Chengkp75 on legality, but here's the thing.  If you bring a CBD product on board, do so in your toiletries bag/carryon .  take your pills or eat your candy in your cabin.  DO NOT waltz around the ship waving it to others, bragging about how good you feel now that you had your daily dose.  And especially, DO NOT even attempt to leave the ship at any port of call with the stuff in your pocket! 

It may work for you (congrats!).  It may be a placebo (not yet recommended by FDA or complete verifiable studies showing efficacy).  Or the stuff you're using might be a scam (lots of quacks and "naturopaths" pushing CBD).  But it's your choice to use discreetly  or not use at all.

17 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

I'm sure one day in the future cruise lines will open Pot Dispensaries onboard if they can make a buck with it...lol

Hopefully. 😎

7 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Not as long as they are parking their ships in US ports 

Its only a matter of time before marijuana is fully legalized on a Federal level.   I dont see how it would be any different than them selling their duty free liquor at that point.  If they can make a buck off of it and the legalities are all worked out, trust and believe it may happen one day  

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, binro01 said:

TLDR:
It is not legal to bring on an Royal Caribbean ship, and if you decide to take that risk, you might have an unintended excursion to a police station in a foreign land or refused boarding at the start of the trip. A thread on CC will not change this.

Incorrect. It is illegal to bring CBD products on Royal ships and is on the prohibited items lists along with guns and explosives. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

I'm sure one day in the future cruise lines will open Pot Dispensaries onboard if they can make a buck with it...lol

Are pot dispensaries and free all you can eat buffets really a good business combination? 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

CBD oil from hemp is legal federally FYI........  And you're obviously not even close to getting my point.

The moment you board that ship, you no longer are in the USA. 

34 minutes ago, ryano said:

Its only a matter of time before marijuana is fully legalized on a Federal level.

And, even if it is, it still needs to become legal on ships, which would require the concurrence of at least half of the 133 nations signatory to STCW and the 100 nations signatory to the MLC 2006 Conventions.  As long as the IMO and ILO consider a substance to be illegal, it will be illegal on ships, even on ships of a nation like Netherlands, where it is legal elsewhere in the country.

4 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Always amazes me how many Maritime Lawyers (and epidemiologists) post on cruise critic. IANAL, but here’s one tip I have learned. You can tell when you are under maritime law instead of the us constitution when the flags have gold fringe. 

Hopefully, this is tongue in cheek, because that is not true.  

• Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Incorrect. It is illegal to bring CBD products on Royal ships and is on the prohibited items lists along with guns and explosives. 

Umm I said, not legal... also known as illegal. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Always amazes me how many Maritime Lawyers (and epidemiologists) post on cruise critic. IANAL, but here’s one tip I have learned. You can tell when you are under maritime law instead of the us constitution when the flags have gold fringe. 

I'm doing my own research on this subject.

• Haha 3

Coloradan here.  All that stuff legal here, but I would not feel safe bringing it even across state lines, let alone a cruise ship. It has really helped my husband with his cancer treatments....but we will do without any of that on our cruise.  My nephew took some pot (yes, I know pot is not CBD) and got in big trouble taking it across state lines.  Taking CBD to a different country, when it states it in the rules...I don't think I would take that kind of risk.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bouhunter said:

A person couldn't get high if they drank a gallon of CBD oil and RCCL bans it.  But they'll gladly sell you enough alcohol to get drunk every day......

The problem is each country handles this differently, so instead of adjusting it per cruise, they have a blanket ban

19 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I've never seen officials on board with dogs.  I've often seen them on the pier checking folks getting on or off, but I've never seen them on board.

I came out of my cabin when we docked at PR and there was lots of dogs and cops ready to go in the cabin across the aisle.  You need to be smart and discreet and you will be ok.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, glentally said:

I came out of my cabin when we docked at PR and there was lots of dogs and cops ready to go in the cabin across the aisle.  You need to be smart and discreet and you will be ok.

Would you also recommend that people bring weapons, irons, surge protectors, alcohol, electric kettles on board? They are also banned. 

5 hours ago, glentally said:

I'm sure lots of people who have been caught and kicked off the ship (or jailed in some countries) thought they were being careful and discreet too.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, glentally said:

You must have been high when you posted this. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

You must have been high when you posted this. 😂

Wow, tough crowd. OP was asking about harmless CBD to help her. Someone else mentioned dogs and cops.  I was shocked when I came out and saw all that and was reliving a past event.  

I tell her to bring her harmless CBD gummies and you have me a member of the cartel.  

I'm making popcorn.  Get a life people.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, glentally said:

Wow, tough crowd. OP was asking about harmless CBD to help her. Someone else mentioned dogs and cops.  I was shocked when I came out and saw all that and was reliving a past event.  

I tell her to bring her harmless CBD gummies and you have me a member of the cartel.  

The issue is not whether it is "harmless" or not. It's about what is legal.  Two completely different things.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, glentally said:

Never mention or implied any organized criminal group. :classic_rolleyes: Now you sound paranoid or dazed and confused. 😵Smoking pot has that effect on some. 😂 Sounds like you now have the munchies. 🍿

• Like 1
  • Haha 1