The Daily for Monday November 15, 2021

richwmn

Today is America Recycles Day, Clean Your Refrigerator Day, and National Philanthropy Day

Every exit is an entry somewhere else. --Tom Stoppard

Meal suggestion for today - Seafood and Sausage Stew

Drink of the Day - Irish Car Bomb

Wine of the day - Château Pichon Baron Pauillac 2016

Destination of the Day - Fujairah United Arab Emirates

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination Cabo San Lucas eta 11/15

Bridgetown, Barbados
Rotterdam 08:00 - 17:00

Nassau BS
Nieuw Amsterdam

Port Everglades FL US
Eurodam quarantine

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Caribbean Sea
Noordam Destination Freeport BS eta 11/19

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX eta 11/21

Augusta IT
Volendam Anchorage

Corfu GR
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Port Everglades FL US
Nieuw Statendam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

1115NAmerica.thumb.png.c092ea1d6baf371cd20a7ab6a2e499cd.png

1115Europe.thumb.png.5e445f46f49688843631a58096ab0cd9.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 9

Good Monday morning everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich. Great collection of days. Finally, forced to clean out the fridge!  Wholeheartedly agree with today’s quote although it’s not easy when you’re in the middle of the process.  Meal sounds interesting.  We haven’t been to today’s port. Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today and  🥂 to everyone celebrating a happy event today. 

• Like 25

Thank you to the Monday Daily, Rich.  A big salute to Clean Refrigerators, Recycling, and Philanthropy,  So true on the Shepard quote.  I visited Fujairah just once on the Silver Whisper and don't remember much about it.  I'll pass on the meal suggestion.  My alternative is Apple, Pear, and Cucumber Salad, Turf from Surf and Turf, and Almond and Orange Cake as served on MS Prinsendam November 15, 2017. 

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes1115.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
kakalina with spreading lung cancer going into hospice
SrLouisCruisers friend John with end stage melanoma
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo but at least back home
Irishjim’s wife Sheila back in hospital
Seasick sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
USN59-79 with kidney stone
From the rotation:
rafinmd undergoing radiation
My travel agent with an esophageal blockage
Mamaofami’s friend in hospice
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy 35th Anniversary smitty 34877!!!
4 BHB with passengers
Nieuw Statendam and Euridan tiogether in Everglades
Front Line Health Care Workers
lazey1 feeling better
horizonchaser1947 settled in Mexico
Norseh20 at sea (Oceania Marina to 12/1)
Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam till 12/12), dobiemom (NCL Bliss to 11/21), Lady Hudson (Anthen OTS to 11/21)and Sea Viewer (Allure OTS to 11/21)
First jabs for Cruising-along’s 2 little DGS
Safe travels Crazy for Cats
57redbird covid negative and surgery scheduled for November 29
Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 9

Good morning all!

Been lurking a lot, responding-not so much. To all of you that may just read the comments and not post, hi!

A good collection of days. America doesn’t take recycling seriously enough; our motto should be Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Cleaning out my refrigerator-never a favorite thing to do, but very necessary. And we should all practice philanthropy.

I love the Tom Stoppard quote. He wrote one of my favorite plays, “Arcadia”, but also one of the strangest I ever saw, “Jumpers”.

I will skip the meal and the drink, but look forward to the wine description.

Haven’t been to today’s destination. 

Have good news/bad news on the concern front. My friend with the liver transplant posted on Facebook and as another friend said, “it sounds like typical Conway.” So I think that is good news. But on a sad note, a member of my church, a young man 49 years old, died of Covid last week. He was convinced he just had a cold and put off treatment. By the time he went to the doctor, he had pneumonia. He ended up on a ventilator and did not make it. This is a hard time for his mom and sister, his dad passed away last year. So prayers for those in need 🙏 and always a toast to all the celebrations 🍷.

It was a busy weekend for me. I had tickets for the symphony (if you ever have a chance to hear Vikingur Olafsson play the Grieg piano concerto, do not miss it!) and then I preached at our local retirement home. (Everyone there is vaccinated and they are wearing masks in the public areas, but they grumble a lot about it.)

Take care all, have a great Monday.

St Louis Sal

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.

It is 50°F and cloudy.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for today's various lists.

Interesting days today.

Good Quote.

Nice food but no for the drink.

We have been to Fujairah twice on Emirates cruises on Brilliance and Vision of the seas.

There are nice beaches.

The ships shuttle took us to a retail outlet with a supermarket and a variety of gold outlets.

Prayers for Roy's month Long radiation treatment and for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

• Like 25

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Great collection of days.  I guess I should clean out my fridge.  We try and recycle whenever possible,  and I try to be philanthropic.

Great quote.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion, not sure about the drink but hope the wine is good.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations! 

Happy Anniversary @smitty34877!

Have a great Monday.  It's cool and wet here, but at least we didn't get that white stuff (yet).

Stay safe.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! My fridge was just cleaned & reorganized. But I need to tackle my freezer drawers. Sadly some counties are starting to limit their recycling to bottles, cans and cardboard. If people could witness the piles of plastic waste that wash up on our beaches after a storm, they might choose differently. But it is easy not to think about it, when you don’t have to look at it. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Thinking if you today. Morning Dailyite family.  A brisk 46 here this morning, but the air was so clean and crisp during this morning’s walk. The sun is out and the day looks to be perfect. 

Early gym classes. Going to try a Tai Chi class. I am hoping my recovering knee tolerates the slow movements better than some of the more rambunctious classes. Looking forward to the drink and meal recipes!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Château Pichon Baron Pauillac 2016

This Bordeaux red blend’s stellar ratings come with a hefty price tag. But I would love a taste. Several online distributors with prices starting at $170.00!

Winemaker Notes

#8 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

Château Pichon Baron 2016 has a beautiful, intense garnet red color. The nose reveals aromas of red and dark fruit such as blueberry, black cherry and blackcurrant, followed by very lightly toasted notes with a hint of vanilla and spices. The fleshy, powerful attack is balanced by richness and a certain fullness. The tannins are silky, opulent and lengthy, with some crispness. The finish is precise. Altogether it is dominated by the tipycity of the grapes and by tension, and is dense and full-bodied.
Blend: 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot

JS99 James Suckling

The concentration and largesse of the 2016 Pichon Baron is apparent from the get-go with incredibly alluring, ripe and expansive fruit aromas in the blackberry, dark-cherry, mulberry and plum zone. Espresso and cedar, as well as a slate-like, stony mineral edge add complexity. The palate has incredible depth, drive and detail. Fine and plush tannins stretch the palate in every direction. So fresh and vivacious, this is the greatest Pichon Baron since 1989 and has a long future. Try from 2024.
RP97 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Pichon-Longueville Baron offers a suave and seductive nose of warm red and black currants, black plum preserves, truffles, tapenade and rose hip tea with touches of sandalwood and Chinese five spice plus a waft of iron ore. Medium to full-bodied, firmly structured and packed with mineral and exotic spice-laced black fruits, it finishes very long with compelling herbal sparks.
WE97 Wine Enthusiast
As often with this estate, this wine combines opulent richness and an elegant structure. It is a bold wine, ripe and full of black fruits. But it holds together impressively, with nothing in excess. The wine will age well; drink from 2025.  Cellar Selection
JD97 Jeb Dunnuck
The 2016 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron is beauty and is a blend of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon and 15% Merlot that was brought up in 80% new French oak. Tasting like a hypothetical mix of the 2009 and 2010, its deep purple color is followed by a powerful yet sensationally pure bouquet of crème de cassis, blackberries, lead pencil shavings, and graphite, and is just about as quintessentially Pauillac as it gets. Full-bodied, fleshy and even a touch flamboyant, it has sweet tannins and a monster texture that coats the palate. Count me in as a huge fan. This fabulous wine will be relatively approachable in just 3-5 years but will age for 30 years or more.
D96 Decanter
There's no question that we are in Pauillac with this wine: it's a deep, dark purple in colour and a little more reserved on the nose than some, with more of that pencil-lead and slate character. The texture is almost as important as the flavour, and it shows its quality. This is all cassis, wet stone and loganberry, and conveys heft rather than sinew. It tightens through the mid-palate to the point that it contracts - a serious wine. Matured in 80% new oak.
WS96 Wine Spectator
This gushes with dark fig and black currant compote flavors backed by lively sweet tobacco and singed alder edges. Very fleshy in feel, though there's ample grip to keep this red grounded, echoing with tar and humus accents through the finish. A thumper. Best from 2025 through 2040.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone!

We did get snow yesterday but most of it has melted away.  I expect that it will all be gone by this afternoon.  I couldn't get a pool lane for this morning, so I'll just go walk the track for a while and then do the weight machines.  

I did clean out the fridge the other day after I had gone grocery shopping.  I make a point of clearing out the questionable stuff before I put away the new stuff.   But, there was so little in the fridge that I washed it down as well.  

I think today's meal is a winner.   There are many variations of a seafood and sausage stew, you can make it up yourself.  

This first choice is from the Food Network.  The notes say you can dress this up by using high end seafood or economize by using frozen seafood.  Use what you like.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/quick-sausage-and-seafood-stew-5425071

1179861433_Seafoodandsausagestew.jpeg.0712dbecec700646f9701724497bba8b.jpeg

The last one claimed to be quick.  This one claims to be hearty.   https://www.browniebites.net/hearty-sausage-and-seafood-stew/

sausage-and-seafood-stew-recipe-03.thumb.jpg.c620eaef1a272a8e9b01ca2a75b621a4.jpg

Williams Sonoma offers up this Portuguese version of Fish and Sausage Stew.  

https://blog.williams-sonoma.com/portuguese-fish-and-sausage-stew-recipe/

1661213601_Seafoodandsausagestewportuguese.thumb.jpg.02ec73a0fc3714ccd711ee5db5f2e07e.jpg

One of these sounds like the perfect meal with a side salad and warm, crusty bread on a cold night.

Enjoy!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Good morning  fellow Dailyites.I  am so touched by the Anniversary  wishes and "cards" .DH and I were a little nervous 35 years ago today as we each had a child from a previous marriage that did not go well.I became a step mother to DD and her half sister Tana and my own DS now had a step father. Somehow,with a lot of love,persistence and just plain luck we became the well blended family we are today.I am truly a very fortunate  woman.

I salute the days and look forward  to the recipe description. We have not been to the port but would love to see pictures.

Thank you again for your kind wishes.

Terry

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the care lists.

It's a clear but chilly morning here. It will warm to the mid 70's later.

The meal suggestion looks delicious. The drink is, essentially, an Irish boilermaker. I will pass on that.

We're starting to make final preparations for our upcoming cruise. Six days till sailing.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 24

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

A great collection of days. The quote is very true. Now that I have seen Debbie's recipes I know I would enjoy the meal.

Feeling kind of blah today. Not physically...I think I'm just tired of living in a construction zone. But I will push on and keep in mind how nice it will be when we are done and that we are getting close as well as how far we have come.

Thinking of you, Roy @rafinmd, as you continue radiation treatment.

Have a magnificent Monday everyone.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Monday smile 🙂 

I happily celebrate recycling.  My stuff is ready to go curbside for tomorrow along with the compost bin.  Hate cleaning the fridge but it has to do be done 😉  Philanthropy is worthy of celebrating & doing every day.

Love the Tom Stoppard quote.  The meal suggestion sounds interesting (love the seafood and sausage one in Lisbon).   Looking forward to hearing about it and the wine.

Heading to the vets today to get prescription cat food for a friend who can’t get it where they are. I may not have cats any longer but I still love them 😉

936D9DAF-4CD3-4CFE-B31D-0B6C50E30255.jpeg.02ea49c4752b87c805a51f9533898ee6.jpeg

A good reminder to stock up on our furry friends needs with supply issues that seem to be happening again. 

@smitty34877wishing you a very happy 35th anniversary!

C39F8E02-D156-4A80-899C-81F3B57DFB5C.thumb.jpeg.3d11f51755a00839336c1fdc5611b17a.jpeg

It is getting dark so early - depressing.  I have to put the dogs’ glowing collars on way too early to be able to see what they are doing.  A slight exaggeration  but..

0A179A09-C597-435D-AAA2-4D240666BE09.jpeg.472becf0e7c4fec318f6e904d8493072.jpeg

@St. Louis Salso sorry to hear of the loss of the young man from your church.  Prayers for him and his family 🙏🏻 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone !!!!!!

68BBF5CF-4020-4C0B-A6F0-A789F0DF517F.jpeg.4357b933d7fd97fae66d85f05f6b0d99.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Every day should be recycling day; we do our best to put less into the landfill every week.  Cleaning the refrigerator - ugh - yes, it's probably about time.  We should all do what we can for philanthropy.

@smitty34877 Happy 35th Anniversary to you and DH!  What a wonderful story you two have - love, patience, and persistence pays off.

We haven't been to the part of the world that is home to today's port, and Yikes, that wine is one that I won't be trying unless I win the lottery!

It's a quiet day here on the "frozen tundra" with our special weather statement still in effect.  We did have some freezing rain overnight, and there's a fog advisory for this morning.  Listening to the radio, folks are phoning in saying the highways leading into the city are slick, with a number of vehicles having slid into the ditches.  SO glad we're retired and don't have to go anywhere.  The snow hasn't started yet, but when it does - oh boy, the roads are going to be like skating rinks until the sanding trucks get out there.

@St. Louis SalI'm so sorry to hear of the passing of your young parishioner; how sad for his family and all who knew him.

I like today's menu suggestion, but have already decided on putting together a big pot of beef stew.  When it gets stormy outside, I start cocooning and look at making comfort food; stew and a side salad will be what's on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together to cheer all on the happy list.  Stay well, wear your masks, wash your hands and be safe.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Happy Anniversary Terry. 35 years is a great accomplishment.

Yesterday was a really nice day for us. My daughter helped my gray hair go blonde again and she helped to reinstate Sam’s programs on his newly repaired computer. 
Today I’m back to fighting the long term care company who claims not to have received invoices for half of October. I was hoping that once they started paying this nonsense would stop.

There are some predictions of snow today and th at will really make me sad that we aren’t in Florida. Oh well, maybe next winter.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1