Is labadee open?

10 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Two problems with this...there is little or no government, and it's unlikely they have tanks.

Unfortunately, you might be right.  But even if they don't have actual tanks---which was an attempt at deadpan humor on my part to begin with---I really hope they have a National Guard of some sort.  Even just light infantry with M15 rifles; at least SOMETHING!  Anything at all!  They need to crush the unneeded social unrest, and make Labadee safe once again for cruise passengers, crew members, and local workers.

Labadee is a lost cause at this point.  The local gangs will probably loot the place clean for scrap metal and whatever else they find valuable.  RCCL should establish an equivalent private island in Dominican Republic, a country far more politically stable and with much better Armed Forces, than Haiti can ever hope to be.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

30 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

You make a excellent point.  I was however, specifically commenting on the 5 star portion as to me that has a more defined criteria than some other, more general, terms.

No problem here. I believe we all agree this is a sad situation all around. So glad I had the opportunity to visit Labadee in 2018 on Navigator. I enjoyed my port day there.

2 hours ago, Cigar King said:

No.  It would not surprise me at all.  That being said, there's nothing here but speculation and to what end?  Let's see what happens if and when we get some actual information, preferably from Royal.

We are almost 2 yrs into CC speculation posts. You should be familiar with the program by now. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last time in Labadee in 2016; we saw an increased military/police presence then.  Still the same kids asking for food on the other side of the fence.  Always loved it there and will be sorry to see it go (if it does), but I can understand that Royal will really need to build it out, so it can compete with Coco Cay.

Going to Coco Cay (hopefully) next week for the first time.  Maybe I'll be wishing for the "old, plain" Labadee.

• Like 1

Well my son loved Labadee, and I have enjoyed it as well, I went for the first time in '91 and it was quite different from the last time in 2017. We have it booked on Harmony in March, but I assume they will be changing it (and probably Falmouth), just wish they'd get to it. I haven't booked excursions yet since I expect the change. 

34 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I know I am in the minority, but, I prefer Labadee to Perfect Day.  Labadee is a more relaxing experience for me.

Why is that?  What makes Labadee better than Coco Cay?  Aren't they both equally commercialized water parks with a plethora of pay-for activities?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Why is that?  What makes Labadee better than Coco Cay?  Aren't they both equally commercialized water parks with a plethora of pay-for activities?

Coco Cay more so than Labadee.  Either way I can enjoy both islands without spending a dime especially when I have a drink package.  We go to the beach. We don't have young children so we aren't interested in the pools or water parks. We also don't need a Cabana because we spend most of the day floating around on a disposable blow up float that we buy in the dollar store at home. Lounges and umbrellas are free.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

Are other ships not going to Falmouth right now?

Do you mean other Cruise Lines? I suspect you do, I don't have any idea, for Royal that's not going to happen. Anyone know if other CL's are stopping at those ports?

19 hours ago, Cigar King said:

Maybe I missed something, but, how do we know Labadee has been destroyed, or taken over by gangs?  I'm not saying it's not the case, but, I haven't seen anything specifically about Labadee.

11 hours ago, Cigar King said:

You make a excellent point.  I was however, specifically commenting on the 5 star portion as to me that has a more defined criteria than some other, more general, terms.

The housing residents for the staff that lived there all year would be considered 5 star to “regular” homes on the island.  When the staff left, one could only figure that it would be a matter of time before locals entered the peninsula. Someone has to make sure the equipment and housing left behind is used to its full potential. The tractors that pulled the tourists around would be handy in working the land, and the zip line trucks can take the veggies to market. Sadly, it’s more likely that they are carrying armed gang members. 

9 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

The ports are very different  There are no water parks/pools/private beach club/ on Labadee (although there is a  private beach for suite guests) .  There are water excursions and a zip line. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

We were in Labadee 2019. We weren't asked for money, didn't see any military or police and they weren't even pushy when we went into the chachka store.  Nassau  Freeport and Jamaica the locals are relentless.

Did you go near the fenced area?  That's where you would have seen the increased security presence and kids begging for money as they can't cross into the actual resort area. Heck the adults beg for money.  They're not supposed to ask for tips for moving chairs, etc.  but they do.  The store isn't pushy, but the straw market area is horrible.  We avoid that area. We've been to Labadee at least 7 times starting in 2010 a couple of months after the dock was finished and our last time was 2018 or 2019.  We were there about two months after the big earthquake in 2010.

Edited by BND

I keep reading on several threads now of the speculation from someone who heard from a neighbor who has a friend that talked to a crew member a few months ago that has a friend on another ship that says the place has been overruled, trashed, looted, burned to the ground by roving bands of gangs with guns and tanks, etc.  that Labadee will forever be abandoned.

And I'm wondering, what is there at Labadee that couldn't be rebuilt over a long weekend? Maybe a week using "Island Time"?  Seriously, the most significant piece of infrastructure is the pier and I doubt the locals carted that off. Putting aside the political instability, earthquake, covid and low vaxx rates, there is no reason for Royal use Labadee right now because it doesn't make financial sense. In this era of ships sailing at reduced capacity and constantly shifting and cancelled itineraries, Royal won't put a dime into  cleaning up the place. In a year or so time, when the cruising industry is more stable and CoCo Cay is overflowing,  no doubt Royal will hire the locals that ransacked the place & are living in the  5 star dorms to clean up the beach and dust off the picnic tables.  And if the "roller coaster" isn't working, that's all the more better.

*** the above is purely my speculation which is just as valid as anybody else's speculation ***😅

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Do you mean other Cruise Lines? I suspect you do, I don't have any idea, for Royal that's not going to happen. Anyone know if other CL's are stopping at those ports?

Sorry Im confused, Falmouth (never been hence why I was asking about the Margaritaville) is on the itinerary of a RC ship Im looking at in January..is this incorrect and has RC not been stopping there?

As someone who went on mission trips to Haiti preCovid but during the initial start of the political unrest, I would never go back to Labadee if Royal even does decide to start stopping there again until there are MAJOR changes to the government. Unless you have been there, you just don't understand how desperate the peoples' situation & how inept the government is. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, petuniaflower said:

Sorry Im confused, Falmouth (never been hence why I was asking about the Margaritaville) is on the itinerary of a RC ship Im looking at in January..is this incorrect and has RC not been stopping there?

We've had one crusie with a Falmouth ( and Labadee) stop changed to different ports.  Have a January 9 Harmony with Falmouth and  Labadee that I expect to change as well. 

Have not  heard that cruises have gone back to Falmouth yet.

M

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We've had one crusie with a Falmouth ( and Labadee) stop changed to different ports.  Have a January 9 Harmony with Falmouth and  Labadee that I expect to change as well. 

Have not  heard that cruises have gone back to Falmouth yet.

M

Getting back to my reply and my question. I'm doubtful that Falmouth is a stop for other cruise lines where Royal rebuilt that area, while Labadee is an exclusive beach for Royal. Those islands are very poor, its not a comfortable port stop. Three years ago we stopped at Margaritaville at Falmouth and it was enjoyable. As others have said most likely there will be alternate stops or days at sea to fill in the itineraries.

It's no secret that most cruise line ports are in poor countries.  But this is why I prefer ports in countries that aren't TOO poor; countries like Mexico or Bahamas.  Tourist vendors there seem to have better social skills, and are better at taking "no" for an answer.  They keep a proper social distance---with or without You Know What.  And they don't get angry with you when you aren't interested in their goods.  Mexican vendors in particular sometimes bantered with me when I first refused, but it was mostly in good fun, and my Spanish is skilled enough to deliver snarky but non-hurtful comebacks.

I read a lot of horror stories about Jamaica, although I take them with a grain of salt.  I just wish Jamaica's tourist vendors understood better that their aggressive sales tactics is the very thing that's hurting their sales.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 1

Agree, with many of your postings.

Even though we have been to Labadee at least 7 times,  we  will never 

go back to Labadee.  It will never be the same after all the political unrest happening

there.   I think it will be years,  if at all to get back to some type of normal.

Sadly.

On 11/19/2021 at 9:25 AM, HBE4 said:

I keep reading on several threads now of the speculation from someone who heard from a neighbor who has a friend that talked to a crew member a few months ago that has a friend on another ship that says the place has been overruled, trashed, looted, burned to the ground by roving bands of gangs with guns and tanks, etc.  that Labadee will forever be abandoned.

And I'm wondering, what is there at Labadee that couldn't be rebuilt over a long weekend? Maybe a week using "Island Time"?  Seriously, the most significant piece of infrastructure is the pier and I doubt the locals carted that off. Putting aside the political instability, earthquake, covid and low vaxx rates, there is no reason for Royal use Labadee right now because it doesn't make financial sense. In this era of ships sailing at reduced capacity and constantly shifting and cancelled itineraries, Royal won't put a dime into  cleaning up the place. In a year or so time, when the cruising industry is more stable and CoCo Cay is overflowing,  no doubt Royal will hire the locals that ransacked the place & are living in the  5 star dorms to clean up the beach and dust off the picnic tables.  And if the "roller coaster" isn't working, that's all the more better.

*** the above is purely my speculation which is just as valid as anybody else's speculation ***😅

Except several different people on different ships were told by different crew members.  I'm not talking just about on here, but also on FB.  Regardless of what kind of shape the port is currently in, RCI is not going back there anytime soon, if ever.  It's way too volatile and Haiti cannot guarantee the safety of cruisers visiting there.   Also, there are multiple buildings including a dorm and food locations, cabanas plus plumbing, electrical and other infrastructure .  It all adds up and would take a lot longer than a "long weekend" to rebuild.  

Edited by BND

On 11/19/2021 at 9:16 AM, petuniaflower said:

We are on a cruise out of Galveston that is supposed to go to Falmouth on January 30th. However, it’s also supposed to go to Georgetown, Grand Cayman. I have no idea where we are going, but there probably won’t be snow, so that works!

• Like 1