Is labadee open?

9 hours ago, LATTELOVE said:

Hmmm,

We will be on Royal Caribbean Symphony  Of The Seas 

in December  and Puerto Rico is on our itinerary.

I hope they don't change it.

What date? I am also on Symphony in December and we originally had Labadee and Puerto Rico - they replaced it in September with a sea day and St. Thomas. 

10 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

This is both stupid and sad.  Doesn't the government have tanks or something? The Haitian gangs may have AK-47's their ilk, but armored tanks full of ammo can easily restore law and order in less than a day, and they can travel over roadless terrain effortlessly.

Two problems with this...there is little or no government, and it's unlikely they have tanks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

This is both stupid and sad.  Doesn't the government have tanks or something? The Haitian gangs may have AK-47's their ilk, but armored tanks full of ammo can easily restore law and order in less than a day, and they can travel over roadless terrain effortlessly.

Pretty sure tanks don’t automatically restore law and order, and they sure as heck don’t travel over roadless terrain effortlessly. Or maybe they do - I’m no expert on tanks. Other than the kind divers need on cruise excursions. 

SPEAKING OF CRUISING: If you have tanks blowing ***** up in your country, you have just disqualified yourself as a cruise destination for a long, long time. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Seriously?    No not happening.  And I'm sure many cruisers would want to visit a port where the local government had to invade with armored military to re-open it.....

Edited by bouhunter

On 11/17/2021 at 9:56 AM, smokeykat said:

Why is RCI replacing Puerto Rico? A friend is presently on NCL Breakaway and they stopped in Puerto Rico.

We have St Thomas, Labadee and Puerto Rico for our August Oasis cruise. Only St Thomas excursions are showing in the cruise planner with Black Friday coming it would have been nice to get deals on the other excursions.

I am assuming the change was made to accommodate the requirements of the PVSA. I don't think San Juan or St Thomas count as a foreign port. 

20 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

I am assuming the change was made to accommodate the requirements of the PVSA. I don't think San Juan or St Thomas count as a foreign port. 

They do.

"U.S. ports include U.S. states and U.S. island territories and possessions, with the exception of American Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.  Puerto Rico is also exempt from the PVSA until such time as U.S.-flag vessels service that route."

"A “nearby foreign port” is defined as "any port in North America, Central America, the Bermuda Islands, or the West Indies (including the Bahama Islands, but not including the Leeward Islands of the Netherlands Antilles, i.e., Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao)." 19 CFR § 4.80a(a)(2)."

53 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

They do.

"U.S. ports include U.S. states and U.S. island territories and possessions, with the exception of American Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.  Puerto Rico is also exempt from the PVSA until such time as U.S.-flag vessels service that route."

"A “nearby foreign port” is defined as "any port in North America, Central America, the Bermuda Islands, or the West Indies (including the Bahama Islands, but not including the Leeward Islands of the Netherlands Antilles, i.e., Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao)." 19 CFR § 4.80a(a)(2)."

Thanks, I had not looked it. US virgin Islands are specifically mention as being "a nearby foreign port"  for the PVSA. And you quoted the reason for Puerto Rico.

On 11/16/2021 at 3:27 PM, petuniaflower said:

Can anyone tell me if there is still a Maragritaville at Falmouth port, and if its similar to Grand Turk location where you just walk to it right off the ship and has a big pool area you can just stay at for the day?  Thanks!

YES!!! we went there two years ago..its very convenient for the cruise passengers. But without any ships coming in it will probably be boarded up soon if not already.

Haitian army has about 500 soldiers in the whole country, a few armored cars but no tank. They are vastly outnumbered and outgunned by these local gangs.They will be overwhelmed and wiped out if they go into these bad neighborhoods without some serious military help from outside.

2 hours ago, Cigar King said:

Maybe I missed something, but, how do we know Labadee has been destroyed, or taken over by gangs?  I'm not saying it's not the case, but, I haven't seen anything specifically about Labadee.

It was reported a few weeks ago by a few people that were told by several crew members.  RCI has been totally silent about the status of the peninsula, other than to cancel/replace the port which makes me think there is something going on.  The reports were that locals had moved into the dorm and other buildings, which I can totally believe.  If they think RCI won't be back anytime soon, they'd do it.  If you've been there, the locals can be very aggressive and think nothing of asking for cash.

2 hours ago, BND said:

It was reported a few weeks ago by a few people that were told by several crew members.  RCI has been totally silent about the status of the peninsula, other than to cancel/replace the port which makes me think there is something going on.  The reports were that locals had moved into the dorm and other buildings, which I can totally believe.

Check.  Speculation it is.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jenna said:

What date? I am also on Symphony in December and we originally had Labadee and Puerto Rico - they replaced it in September with a sea day and St. Thomas. 

We still have Puerto Rico in ours, they replace Labadee.

Labadee has been kind of 'rogue'. Years ago we got off the ship their and a 'guide' wanted to give us a tour. Strange as this area was suppose to be controlled by Royal. Chair guys would not allow us to get our own beach chairs also. Followed us and were obviously seeking tips. This port won't be missed to me.

Edited by coaster

1 hour ago, Cigar King said:

I've seen it on more than  one site and by multiple people, so it is what it is.  Would it surprise you if the locals did take over the buildings?  They're nicer than anything else built on the island.

1 hour ago, Cigar King said:

Would you not check yourself into the local 5-star resort hotel and enjoy all the luxury amenities you always dream of but can never afford if no one is stopping you? You are likely one of the very few who would decline.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BND said:

I've seen it on more than  one site and by multiple people, so it is what it is.  Would it surprise you if the locals did take over the buildings? 

No.  It would not surprise me at all.  That being said, there's nothing here but speculation and to what end?  Let's see what happens if and when we get some actual information, preferably from Royal.

3 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Would you not check yourself into the local 5-star resort hotel and enjoy all the luxury amenities you always dream of but can never afford if no one is stopping you?

What 5 star amenities?  A bathroom, some running water, perhaps some food that's been forgotten?  These are not what I think of when I think 5 star.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

What 5 star amenities?  A bathroom, some running water, perhaps some food that's been forgotten?  These are not what I think of when I think 5 star.

Be thankful you and I don't live in Haiti which has consistently been ranked the poorest country in the western hemisphere. Running water, flushing toilets, electricity, fridge, propane cooking stove and a good solid roof above the head are real amenities to many in that part of the world.

Edited by sfaaa