2 quick gripes about Celebrity...

Stockjock

1. When logged in and pricing cruises, they make me look up and insert my Captain's Club number every time.  But if I enter it wrong, they tell me so.  If they have the number, then why not just pre-populate that field so I don't have to look it up?  Irritating.

2. If calling Celebrity, their recording goes on and on and on about their response to Covid.  I don't need to know this at the moment and their requirements are spelled out on their website.  So if I hit 0 on the phone, it will bypass that message, give you some options as to why you are calling, and then start going on and on and on about covid response all over again.  Annoying.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stockjock said:

1. When pricing cruises they make me look up and insert my Captain's Club number every time.  But if I enter it wrong, they tell me so.  If they have the number, then why not just pre-populate that field so I don't have to look it up?  Irritating.

2. If calling Celebrity, their recording goes on and on and on about their response to Covid.  I don't need to know this at the moment and their requirements are spelled out on their website.  So if I hit 0 on the phone, it will bypass that message, give you some options as to why you are calling, and then start going on and on and on about covid response all over again.  Annoying.

So use a travel agent already.  No muss, no fuss.  And you might get a nice amount of OBC.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

1. When pricing cruises they make me look up and insert my Captain's Club number every time.  But if I enter it wrong, they tell me so.  If they have the number, then why not just pre-populate that field so I don't have to look it up?  Irritating.

Huh? On the offers and discounts page? I never enter it. If you are logged in it pulls your CC info in on the guest info screen or you can just add it later. You don't have to provide it anywhere to price a cruise. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Huh? On the offers and discounts page? I never enter it. If you are logged in it pulls your CC info in on the guest info screen or you can just add it later. You don't have to provide it anywhere to price a cruise. 

Yes, when you "Find a cruise" it will prompt you for your Captain's Club number under special offers and discounts and the CC field is blank.  Of course you can leave it blank, but if you want it filled in, you have to look up your CC number in a separate browser window or elsewhere.  If you do a typo, they'll tell you it's the wrong CC number, so obviously they know what the right number is.  Why not just automatically pre-populate that field like most other cruise lines do?

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stockjock said:

Yes, when you "Find a cruise" it will prompt you for your Captain's Club number under special offers and discounts and the CC field is blank.  Of course you can leave it blank, but if you want it filled in, you have to look up your CC number in a separate browser window or elsewhere.  Why not just automatically pre-populate that field like most other cruise lines do?

Remember the pandamonium a few weeks ago over the CC Loyalty discount? That's why. You may not want the offer given as a result of completing that field.  

• Like 3

To add to the griping session I just got quoted about $2,000 extra for a 40 day cruise because I need an accessible cabin.   It seems that Celebrity put their accessible cabins in a higher category and disabled people have to pay a big premium ($$$$) to get a cabin that accommodates their disability.   What a royal rip-off.   I have cruised extensively and this is the first time it's been such a blatant cash grab.   

I think I will take my business elsewhere and not play their nasty game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mexico8 said:

To add to the griping session I just got quoted about $2,000 extra for a 40 day cruise because I need an accessible cabin.   It seems that Celebrity put their accessible cabins in a higher category and disabled people have to pay a big premium ($$$$) to get a cabin that accommodates their disability.   What a royal rip-off.   I have cruised extensively and this is the first time it's been such a blatant cash grab.   

Did you ever consider that maybe those lower tier cabins were just already booked? Other people need accessible cabins too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

1. When logged in and pricing cruises, they make me look up and insert my Captain's Club number every time.  But if I enter it wrong, they tell me so.  If they have the number, then why not just pre-populate that field so I don't have to look it up?  Irritating.

I’ve not once been asked to enter CC number, though clearly Celebrity website is a YMMV situation.  I finally bit the bullet and took good advice of many on CC, got a TA, so far experience has been awesome.

• Like 3

In response to the issue of the OP thinking the X website knows his Capt Club number because when they mistyped it, it told them is was wrong. I think it has more to do with the X website identifying the mistyped Capt Club number as a wrong CC number overall, not that they know OP’s CC number and it was  mistyped. Kind of like when I mistype my charge card number, it responds it’s wrong. Obviously, the site doesn’t ‘know’ my chargecard # but ‘knows’ what I type isn’t a correct CC number. 

Just a thought…..And when I log into X and then did searches, I never was asked for one either. No idea how that is working for the OP. When I’m logged in and either mark an itinerary that I ‘love’, it puts in my saved area. When I work through an itinerary, picking a SR, and go up to but not tapping the ‘purchase’ (or whatever it says), and drop out of that search, I’ll get an email from X asking if I’d like to complete that reservation. 

All this happens because I’m booked in and ‘they’ know my info, including my CC#. 

Den

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

you have to look up your CC number in a separate browser window or elsewhere.  If you do a typo, they'll tell you it's the wrong CC number, so obviously they know what the right number is.  Why not just automatically pre-populate that field like most other cruise lines do?

Simple solution.....memorize the number then you never have to look it up anywhere.

I agree with your annoyance on the telephone.  Service has gone out the window everywhere.

Yes, when you "Find a cruise" it will prompt you for your Captain's Club number under special offers and discounts and the CC field is blank.  Of course you can leave it blank, but if you want it filled in, you have to look up your CC number in a separate browser window or elsewhere.  If you do a typo, they'll tell you it's the wrong CC number, so obviously they know what the right number is.  Why not just automatically pre-populate that field like most other cruise lines do?

I use a little free app called QuickTextPaste.    You create a little macro and just press a key stroke and it automatically fills in information.  

I agree that things one would think would be automated on Celebrity

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I never have to enter my CC number. The ap always picks it up.

1 hour ago, mexico8 said:

That simply isn't true. Lower tier cabins were likely already booked. They are the first to go. 

• Like 1

I’m going to agree with the OP on the CC# thing. We’re going to have to rebook a cruise where we now have a conflict, and I started on Celebrity.com. When you look for special rates, along with residence, and military and first responders, there’s a spot for your Captain’s Club number, presumably for any CC promos. Even if you’re logged in, it’s not pre-populated. The rate may be applied, but it’s not there. And once you’re in the reservation, you can’t access your account. This is a ridiculously simple database call. 

And come on, complaining about RCG’s IT has been a competitive sport around here as long as I’ve been a member! And this is another example of doing the simple, and customer facing, things poorly!

Chrome over the weekend. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

I’m going to agree with the OP on the CC# thing. We’re going to have to rebook a cruise where we now have a conflict, and I started on Celebrity.com. When you look for special rates, along with residence, and military and first responders, there’s a spot for your Captain’s Club number, presumably for any CC promos. Even if you’re logged in, it’s not pre-populated. The rate may be applied, but it’s not there. And once you’re in the reservation, you can’t access your account. This is a ridiculously simple database call. 

And come on, complaining about RCG’s IT has been a competitive sport around here as long as I’ve been a member! And this is another example of doing the simple, and customer facing, things poorly!

Chrome over the weekend. 

Apparently it is pre=populated for a lot of us.

1 minute ago, Guppy99 said:

Apparently it is pre=populated for a lot of us.

On Chrome? Firefox? Safari? Or logged into the app? Because you typed app. And you’re assuming it works the same no matter how you access it. Which should be true with proper HTML coding and the corresponding backend. But it isn’t always. And clearly not everyone has the same experience. 

I don’t know that “a lot” is a statistically significant sample n

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I believe Carnival, NCL, MSC, etc either pre-populate that field or give you a drop down to pick your past guest number.  Not the end of the world to not have it there, but why not have it there?

Be grateful the Celebrity website works at all.  Agree with others to use it to find a cruise then call my great TA.  Not only do they handle the details but get extra OBC besides.  As for the dreaded luggage tags and checking in on line, I usually don't bother.  My wife will give it ONE attempt before saying forget it..  Simply drop off my luggage and check in at the port.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markeb said:

On Chrome? Firefox? Safari? Or logged into the app? Because you typed app. And you’re assuming it works the same no matter how you access it. Which should be true with proper HTML coding and the corresponding backend. But it isn’t always. And clearly not everyone has the same experience. 

I don’t know that “a lot” is a statistically significant sample n

lol...well it works for several of us that have posted here. So, perhaps you should ask why it isn't working for you.

Every one of the people criticizing the OP for pointing out a couple irritants has no doubt complained about something. Oh, wait, make that "certainly" because on this thread they are annoyed by the OP having gotten annoyed. It is just a gripe, why respond with snideness?

I think a more general thread about little gripes would be entertaining. Imagine a Jerry Seinfeld stand-up routine.....

• Like 12

30 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

lol...well it works for several of us that have posted here. So, perhaps you should ask why it isn't working for you.

Actually, understanding why it IS working for others is a relevant question as to why it's not working for me and the OP. Because it also isn’t using working on Safari on my iPad. Which suggests it’s a server end problem, not a client end issue. 

So how are you accessing the web page with your CC# prepopulated when searching for a cruise? Or are you seeing it somewhere else in the process, such as adding passenger names? 

44 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

9 minutes ago, markeb said:

So how are you accessing the web page with your CC# prepopulated when searching for a cruise? Or are you seeing it somewhere else in the process, such as adding passenger names? 

I was thinking the same as @markeb.  I've never seen it pre-populated on the "SEE IF YOU QUALIFY FOR OFFERS" section after  selecting a cruise to book (which is the spot that I thought the OP was referring to)

@Guppy99 - are you referring to a different spot?

@Jim_Iain- I'm going to check out that app!  Thanks so much - you have so many neat solutions!   I'm checking every day if those Bose sleepbuds go on sale for black Friday! 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, paulh84 said:

Did you ever consider that maybe those lower tier cabins were just already booked? Other people need accessible cabins too. 

I have not seen any other accessible cabins other than category E1 which is what all the accessible cabins seems to be.   The cruise we are looking at is two years away - in  late 2023 and it would be a little unusual that all the "cheaper" accessible cabins are all booked.   It certainly looks like Celebrity deliberately put all the accessible cabins up about $500 to $1,000 more for each segment of the  3 back to back cruises we were interested in.   Not possible to get an accessible cabin in a lower category - they don't seem to exist on the Edge.  If we need an accessible cabin we would have to pay at least $2,000 more than the non-accessible balcony cabins.   Hardly seems fair to me.

3 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

That simply isn't true. Lower tier cabins were likely already booked. They are the first to go. 

There don't seem to be any lower tier cabins on the Edge that I can find.   If we need an accessible cabin and want a balcony we have to pay for E1 category which will cost us $2,000 more because we need the space for my mobility scooter etc.