Please respect the quiet enjoyment of others

Florida_gal_50

It would be so lovely if others would respect the quiet enjoyment of others.  I have someone that talks for hours on the speaker phone in the cabana.  I had enough so I left to sit on my balcony.  The person next door has music just cranked.  It’s so loud the dock worker in staring up at him.  What’s worse is he is playing country music and Adele.  Her singing is like nails on a chalkboard. Please be respectful of the sound level of those around you.  This isn’t your personal yacht.  Thank you.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6

I would have taken a moment to speak to the neighbour indicating that you could hear every word of the conversation, and BTW, could you please turn down the music, as not everyone loves Adele or country music.  If it continued, I would complain by phone to to Guest Services. 

You’ve paid good money for your cabana and deserve to be able to enjoy it as well. 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Well said!!  This post reminds me of why I find myself not missing cruising.  There are many lovely people, but, there are many annoying people, lol.  We are currently vacationing, just the two of us in the KEYS for 24 nights, and it has been wonderful!

• Like 5

In the past I have asked people to kindly turn their music down.  I've gotten silence from them or they've said it's not loud.  People just don't get it.  I did report him to guest services.  I hope it changes.

Talk about people being noisy in restaurants there was a dude in tamarind the other night.  He was so loud everyone was staring.  I'm sure he was oblivious.  When I went again I was in a very quiet area.  It was heaven.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DAllenTCY said:

Smoking on your balcony, too......and not just cigarettes or cigars.

On my last cruise it was an issue just about every sunset.

David

Did you report it to guest services?  Works like a charm.  Eurodam in Sept this year.  Cigar smoke coming from balcony next door.  Called, they sent a man within 5 minutes to sniff it out.  The next day, same problem.  This time they sent the supervisor of housekeeping and he knocked on their door.  No answer, so I told them they are on the balcony smoking and can't hear you knock.  He went in their room....no more smoke the rest of the cruise.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I must admit when I am in public and someone is talking loudly on a phone, I just start participating in the call.  When the person gets upset I merely say that the call was so loud that I assumed they wanted everyone to participate.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 22

In the past I experienced many of these clueless rude people or annoying situations -  passengers blasting music on their balcony with a Bose portable, balcony smokers, large tables in the MDR shouting across the table, over-amplified Caribbean music on the Melanoma Deck, and the production show volume turned up to the level of pain.

I finally solved it and enjoy my cruises a lot more.  I only book inside cabins with PAX above, below, and across the corridor.  I don't eat the evening meal in the MDR.  I avoid production shows. I also avoid the Melanoma Deck. 

I eat breakfast and lunch in the MDR when the atmosphere is much more to my liking and in the evening I'll get a small meal in the buffet and then have a wee dram or three while listening to some strings or piano music around the ship.  I find a quiet shady spot on the promenade or another location to read when I feel like it.

And no, I don't feel deprived booking an inside instead of a balcony or suite.  Been there, done that. I treat the cabin like I would a room at a resort.  I only use it to sleep and change clothes.  Other that that, I'm out enjoying the ship. 

I mostly cruise solo now, but when She Who Must Be Obeyed cruises with me, all of the above goes out the window because she thinks a balcony, the MDR, and all shows in the theater are mandatory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

In the past I have asked people to kindly turn their music down.  I've gotten silence from them or they've said it's not loud.  People just don't get it.  I did report him to guest services.  I hope it changes.

Talk about people being noisy in restaurants there was a dude in tamarind the other night.  He was so loud everyone was staring.  I'm sure he was oblivious.  When I went again I was in a very quiet area.  It was heaven.

its very possible that someone speaking loudly in a restaurant is hearing impaired whether or not you see a visible hearing aid.  

• Like 4

Smoking on the balcony can get a person thrown off of the cruise.  I guess I have been lucky or oblivious, I have never had a bad neighbor.  I have had a few brief encounters with impolite behavior in the public areas but not enough to put me off cruising.

8 hours ago, nocl said:

I must admit when I am in public and someone is talking loudly on a phone, I just start participating in the call.  When the person gets upset I merely say that the call was so loud that I assumed they wanted everyone to participate.

Love it. 
I might try this next time there’s some idiot on a cell phone call in the stall next to me. My usual MO is to flush, flush and flush so it’s obvious where they are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The sad thing is that nowadays a confrontation as often as not results in an argument or pushback,, rather than an apology and compliance.

I recall a cruise not so many years ago when the veranda occupant next to ours undertook a very sensitive conversation with someone on the phone.  In no way did she want anyone to overhear, but it sure was spicy!

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, baggal said:

its very possible that someone speaking loudly in a restaurant is hearing impaired whether or not you see a visible hearing aid.  

Very true.  That said my dad had a cochlear implant and he never screamed in public places.  Some people are just obnoxious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Arrowinc said:

The sad thing is that nowadays a confrontation as often as not results in an argument or pushback,, rather than an apology and compliance.

I recall a cruise not so many years ago when the veranda occupant next to ours undertook a very sensitive conversation with someone on the phone.  In no way did she want anyone to overhear, but it sure was spicy!

I've had the same situation with the spicy talk.  I think some people think they are in the cone of silence :).

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Smoking on the balcony can get a person thrown off of the cruise.  I guess I have been lucky or oblivious, I have never had a bad neighbor.  I have had a few brief encounters with impolite behavior in the public areas but not enough to put me off cruising.

Ditto. We've been very lucky.  Well, there was that amorous couple on a Celebrity cruise....😂

But no loud talking or music thank goodness.  What bothers me are the door slammers.  We seem to get them nearly every cruise.  I mean so loud I jump out of my seat. 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Ditto. We've been very lucky.  Well, there was that amorous couple on a Celebrity cruise....😂

But no loud talking or music thank goodness.  What bothers me are the door slammers.  We seem to get them nearly every cruise.  I mean so loud I jump out of my seat. 

Likewise.  My walls shake sometimes.

• Like 1

Add to the list the blaring non stop audio from the outdoor big screens on lines like Princess...believe it or not some people actually enjoy peace and quiet.  The Royal Princess has the volume so loud on their outdoor screens that it literally vibrates the deck . Fortunately I don't think Holland has yet gone with the big screens but they could well be on someone's drawing board.

I listen to music a lot...with HEADPHONES as I have no doubt that other passengers are not particularly interested in much of the music I enjoy just as I am not likely interested in their selections.  It also allows me to not have to listen to the loud talkers who go on and on and on oblivious to those around them who might be trying to read a book or just relax with a bit of peace and quiet.

Then there is the occasional "music" played in various lounges seemingly non stop....once there was a bartender in the crows nest who seemed to enjoy rap music...rap music on Holland America?

Peace and quiet seems to be a vanishing commodity worldwide.  Even a nice hike along the blue ridge parkway is disrupted by motorcycle after motorcycle with no or very loud mufflers driven by adults with zero regard for the impact on people (and animals) who actually like to hike nature and listen to the wind in the trees, the babbling streams, the birds and yes sometimes the total silence.

Edited by dockman
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, MTAK said:

I spent quite a few years traveling for work and door slammers in hotels were one of my main pet peeves.  Some people are oblivious to creating racket.

Pet peeves; what about the barking dog all night long in the room next to you. And where were the owners; partying all nite on the town.

Just came off the Celebrity Equinox and was upgraded from standard balcony to Aqua Class in part due to noise next to us. All nite long it sounded like some religious service in the cabin next to me where they kept trying to get closer to God 😳

• Haha 5

We have solved the balcony issues by 1/2, we booked side by side rooms with our friends.  I have not heard of a music problem on a balcony and that really irritates me.  I would expect fast action on HAL's part to bring a fast stop to that.  We had a smoker next to us on one cruise and called as soon as we saw him light up.  They were there within minutes knocking at his door. That ended it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

We have solved the balcony issues by 1/2, we booked side by side rooms with our friends.  I have not heard of a music problem on a balcony and that really irritates me.  I would expect fast action on HAL's part to bring a fast stop to that.  We had a smoker next to us on one cruise and called as soon as we saw him light up.  They were there within minutes knocking at his door. That ended it. 

I got a call last night from the front desk to see if the music had quieted down.  I said it had by that point but he drove me in from the balcony.  Even though o said it was on the balcony they thought it was in the room.