No more free PCR tests for post travel requirements

Searanger

Obviously don't want foreign nationals to cruise with them anymore.  This was just put in place this week.   

"As of Tuesday, November 16, 2021, for new bookings, home country re-entry testing will be available onboard for a fee of $55 per person for an Antigen test or $95 per person for a PCR Test." 

So now have to pay to get on the ship and pay again to leave.  Friggin cash grab.  I will vote with my feet.  No Thank you Celebrity!!!!!!!!!!   

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Searanger said:

Obviously don't want foreign nationals to cruise with them anymore.  This was just put in place this week.   

"As of Tuesday, November 16, 2021, for new bookings, home country re-entry testing will be available onboard for a fee of $55 per person for an Antigen test or $95 per person for a PCR Test." 

So now have to pay to get on the ship and pay again to leave.  Friggin cash grab.  I will vote with my feet.  No Thank you Celebrity!!!!!!!!!!   

Post the link/source. What you posted is against CC guidelines.  

• Like 1

The price of the test is reasonable and there is something to be said about the convivence of having the test while still on board.  So, no I don't see this as a "cash grab".  

I think it is a bit over the top to suggest that Celebrity doesn't want foreign nationals on their ship because they may have started charging for re-entry covid testing.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Searanger said:

No, you are free to get off the ship and get tested elsewhere should you so choose.

This subject has been discussed on several threads over the past couple of weeks as Celebrity has modified its approach. For most Canadians, the payment issue was never the concern. Rather, it was testing ashore post-disembarkation, and later restricted to those flying home within 24 hours, plus a number of other variations. Quite frankly, as they are now only applying it to new bookings, I think that most of us are satisfied with Celebrity's response to the criticism levied. Sure, I'd prefer not to have to pay, but I'm hoping that the GOC will have dropped the requirement by the time of my next cruise in March.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Searanger said:

Fine, take your feet elsewhere. And find somewhere where you won't have to pay for an antigen test just to fly into the US and pay again to fly back to Canada. A PCR test for $95 is pretty darn good IMO. They are under no obligation to even offer the tests, let alone offer them at a reasonable cost.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

They are just coming in line with the rest of the travel industry as the requirements continue.  As anyone traveling internationally knows you pretty much need to test, at a minimum, whenever you fly from one country to another.  While the cruise lines have born some of this expense, just as some all inclusive resorts have, during the restart phase, most of the travel industry have put the costs on the individual.  The cruise lines are just now moving in line with the rest of the travel industry and they work to get more cruises going.  

If one does not want the expense of testing, they will not be doing much international travel for the next couple of years. Just as if they do not want to be vaccinated their travel opportunities will be limited.

• Thanks 1

Obviously don't want foreign nationals to cruise with them anymore. 

Oh c’mon. The testing requirement is imposed by the guest’s home country. Right now, as an American, if I travel abroad by air, I’m going to need a test to fly back to the U.S.  I don’t expect whatever country I’m visiting to pay for that test.  I would worry about being able to find one, and I think it’s great that Celebrity is making the tests available on board. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I personally think asking people to pay for that test is fair.  Those of us in the US who need to get tested before boarding and can't do it in our hometowns due to travel times are paying for our tests.  I am flying down on Thanksgiving (Thursday) and boarding Saturday.  I will not have a car so can't drive to any free locations (if I could in fact find one in Lauderdale, and/or on the holiday).  So I am paying for a test at the airport, and also bought the online Celebrity test as a back-up.  Honestly I was previously a little annoyed that I had to pay for testing when others were getting tested for free, just because they were heading home to a different country .  Celebrity is a business, not a charity.  As long as the price is reasonable, I think it is fair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I can understand the OP is upset, the reality is  many of the protocols were put in place to get the cruise industry back up and running.   As ships are approaching 70-100% capacity the cost/benefit ration has diminished.    Originally Celebrity was going to pull the plug on free testing but due to complaints made it retroactive to booking prior to Nov 16.     All those with existing reservations are grandfathered in for free testing.  

If $55 - 95 for testing required by your own government is going to kill you I would suggest not book with the new rules.   After all you know prior to booking. 

• Thanks 1

When I came back from Spain last month, or when I come home from Aruba, I have to pay for my test. Not sure why it should be Celebrity’s responsibility to pay for this. It was a nice gesture that they offered it when cruising just started……and they will continue to pay for it if you were booked before November 16. When I return from my Europe cruise in May I wouldn’t even think of Celebrity having to pay for it 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Searanger said:

So sorry you are disappointed with the new/updated policy...

How long were you expecting X to do the testing at no charge???

I Am sure many 'foreign nationals' will not mind paying for this test to get home, especially if done within the time frame they need it to get home after a wonderful sailing.

I guess after spending a few hundred dollars to get on the ship another $95 is an issue to get home???

Well, I Am sure your new line of choice will meet your needs and then some, including no charge testing to get home.

bon voyage

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

While I can understand the OP is upset, the reality is  many of the protocols were put in place to get the cruise industry back up and running.   As ships are approaching 70-100% capacity the cost/benefit ration has diminished.    Originally Celebrity was going to pull the plug on free testing but due to complaints made it retroactive to booking prior to Nov 16.     All those with existing reservations are grandfathered in for free testing.  

If $55 - 95 for testing required by your own government is going to kill you I would suggest not book with the new rules.   After all you know prior to booking. 

I don't know why the OP is upset. I can not imagine why he thinks he has some sort of right to free testing. Celebrity offered is as a temporary accommodation for the few that needed it because the borders had not fully opened. Now that they are, the numbers are greater and the logistics and cost are likely too much to manage without incurring significant costs. Its the cost you incur for traveling. If anyone finds the cost objectionable, then they have the option to stay home and make days trips.

Edited by Guppy99
  • Thanks 1

I have absolutely no issues with paying for the tests.  And I also think the price is reasonable.  

When we needed tests prior to our September B2B I called every local testing site here in Fairbanks, Alaska.  Only two thought they could potentially get the test results back to us before we flew to Seattle to board the Millennium.  At one site the test price was $335 per person.  The other site priced the tests at $209 per person.  In our case we purchased a six test kit package from eMed as we didn't want to be in Seattle and test positive.  Had we tested positive for covid-19 in Seattle we couldn't have rented a vehicle and driven back to Alaska.

• Thanks 1