Doing the math on a drink package for diamond plus member

evelynw2

Hi everyone , as a D+ Member I know we get 5 drinks per day at any bar, but does anyone know if drinks are limited  to certain types (  using the liquors listed on the diamond club paper) or if it can be any drink on the menu with no restrictions?
We are also considering the drink package  and read the D+ gets 30% off. Does anyone know what the price would be and if they have found it was worth it ?
Thanks!

I believe it is any drink on the menu up to $13 and it can’t be used at Starbucks. Your drinks in the Diamond lounge count towards your daily total.  Not sure what the other rules may be.  I have never bought the drink package so I can’t comment on that. 

• Like 1

A bottle of water consumes one voucher, a $7 beer consumes one voucher, a $13 glass of wine consumes one voucher.  

If you are going to have a beer and will use all of your C&A vouchers that day you may be better to buy that beer and save a voucher for a more expensive drink later.  Same with a specialty coffee.

That changes the formula when looking at a drink package.  If you mostly drink beer the math is different compared to a wino.  

So let's say the drink package is $60. If you drink 5 $13 drinks the drink package is cheaper. So with your free D+ drinks you'd need to drink 10 $13 drinks a day for it to make sense. Because if you only buy 4 on top of your free 5 it's $52 so cheaper to pay as you go. 

If you drink non alcoholic it gets a bit more hard to calculate because the refreshment package is an option. Like if you drink enough non alcoholic drinks that you know the refreshment package is worth it then it's just down to the difference between them. So if refreshment is $30, then you'd need to only drink 3 $13 drinks (plus your free 5) to make the deluxe worth it. 

37 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

So let's say the drink package is $60. If you drink 5 $13 drinks the drink package is cheaper. So with your free D+ drinks you'd need to drink 10 $13 drinks a day for it to make sense. Because if you only buy 4 on top of your free 5 it's $52 so cheaper to pay as you go. 

If you drink non alcoholic it gets a bit more hard to calculate because the refreshment package is an option. Like if you drink enough non alcoholic drinks that you know the refreshment package is worth it then it's just down to the difference between them. So if refreshment is $30, then you'd need to only drink 3 $13 drinks (plus your free 5) to make the deluxe worth it. 

Last month refreshment package and our D+ drinks served us very well  

15 hours ago, twangster said:

A bottle of water consumes one voucher, a $7 beer consumes one voucher, a $13 glass of wine consumes one voucher.  

If you are going to have a beer and will use all of your C&A vouchers that day you may be better to buy that beer and save a voucher for a more expensive drink later.  Same with a specialty coffee.

That changes the formula when looking at a drink package.  If you mostly drink beer the math is different compared to a wino.  

Agreed.  Except there are no $7 beers anymore.  On Oasis in October,  a Coors Light was 9.34 with gratuity.  Holy cow. 

21 hours ago, Biker19 said:

The math is the same as before - will you drink more than 5 alcoholic drinks in addition to your D+ drinks?

Also, when using our D+ status on recent cruises my wife's drinks were not assigned to her portion of our account. All were tallied on my portion of the account. 

Next go around, as a D+, I’ll be getting refreshment or soft drink package and passing on the deluxe package. 

The 30% off is from the onboard price. Pretty easy match that already in the pre-planner purchase. And last two trips I was on they offered BOGOHO, which is basically 25% off. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, audome78 said:

Nope...12 oz pop top can. Even worse!

Geez.  That is ridiculous.  Cost of supply is probably 70-80 cents per can.  So they are jacking up the price over 10 fold.  We all know bars inflate prices more than other areas, but 10 fold plus for a beer is just to the point of ridiculousness.  

7 minutes ago, topnole said:

Geez.  That is ridiculous.  Cost of supply is probably 70-80 cents per can.  So they are jacking up the price over 10 fold.  We all know bars inflate prices more than other areas, but 10 fold plus for a beer is just to the point of ridiculousness.  

Those excessively priced drinks are paying for my free drinks as a D+.  Works for me.

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2021 at 11:53 AM, evelynw2 said:

Hi everyone , as a D+ Member I know we get 5 drinks per day at any bar, but does anyone know if drinks are limited  to certain types (  using the liquors listed on the diamond club paper) or if it can be any drink on the menu with no restrictions?
We are also considering the drink package  and read the D+ gets 30% off. Does anyone know what the price would be and if they have found it was worth it ?
Thanks!

Our very recent cruise was first without a drink package since we are diamond plus and in a suite , our last cruise a couple of years ago we did buy drink package at the 30 percent off , it was price advertised on ship before we sailed . If you see a sale that says 40 percent off I would buy it. We were in a suite so drinks in suite lounge did not count against the five, if you like wine might consider the UDP which gives you specialty restaurants plus 40 percent off all wines under 100 a bottle. We found some really good wine at very reasonable prices 

On 12/12/2021 at 2:02 PM, Scotty G said:

Also, when using our D+ status on recent cruises my wife's drinks were not assigned to her portion of our account. All were tallied on my portion of the account. 

Did you only use your card when ordering?

9 hours ago, topnole said:

I buy it on sale around the major holidays, and get the 12 oz cans for about $.54, tax included. As far as bars, we go to a local sports bar and get a 16 oz. tap for $3 plus tip. This is during happy hour. 

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Only big beer I've seen now is Fosters and Red Stripe

On Harmony, Red Stripe was just about the only 16oz beer you could get.  Fosters was a 25oz pop top can.  Could only get it at the Solarium Bar.     We were up there a day or two before disembarking from the TA, and the bartenders were told by the F&B Manager not to sell any more Foster.

It was pretty much the best deal for your voucher if you drink beer, but half way through it would start to get warm in the heat and humidity unless you drank very fast.  I got a bucket of ice/water to set it in to keep it cold until I finished it.  

Edited by Auntiemomo
  • Thanks 2