Passenger Overboard Reported on Miracle

awestover89

31 minutes ago, Don Kehote said:

Unfortunately, they don't have a common sense screening test.  With or without alcohol.

Would you have to take multiple tests, intoxicated and sober? That reminds me of an old episode of WKRP in Cincinnati in which Dr. Johnny Fever was given a test to prove your reflexes got worse when you drank so you should not drive drunk except his got better as he drank.🤦‍♀️😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Sad, but I hate the way these stories play out. Unfortunately, about 95,000 people in the US die from alcohol-related injuries each year. How often do they make the news? Since it is on big, scary, boat, it becomes a big deal. This kind of stuff scares people away from cruises. When in reality, its like .00001% of people fall off, from doing stupid, preventable, stuff.

1 hour ago, arizdback said:

Drunk and falling in public way will always make national news. Not specific to cruises at all. Dorm and hotel balconies as well as stadium/arena upper decks will also make big news. It just plays into our fears of falling and heights that makes it news. Not to mention the amateur detectives out there who can't resist a whodunit.

The number of college kids on spring break who are maimed or die while intox rarely make national news

12 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

You would be better off blaming the construction of balconies without bars enclosing them

I'd like to say I am surprised this comment was made but I'm not. 

Just remember the RCCL situation with the grandfather and toddler....

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The number of college kids on spring break who are maimed or die while intox rarely make national news

50 million hits on google "student dies spring break" says most of them do. I'm not in a spring break hotbed and hear about them on the news at least every few days in March and April. Heck I have read full articles in major publications just on that subject alone. My point was that the cruise isn't the story. It's the dying in an unusual/terrifying/mysterious way.

• Like 4

It was someone's daughter who made a terrible tragic decision while under the influence of alcohol.  I don't think piling on after a tragic accident is warranted.  I am sure that her family and friends are beyond devastated. Why add to their pain?  They know what she did was stupid, but to chalk up her death to Darwinism is just unkind.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, pe4all said:

Very sad for family - especially this close to the holidays.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out as the report of divider piece breaking as she was climbing from one balcony to another spells "lawsuit" to me- even though she was doing something wrong and was possibly intoxicated.

No way. Climbing from one balcony to the next is not defendable behavior. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pe4all said:

Very sad for family - especially this close to the holidays.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out as the report of divider piece breaking as she was climbing from one balcony to another spells "lawsuit" to me- even though she was doing something wrong and was possibly intoxicated.

Nope.  Even if the divider broke, the "standard of care" that the cruise line is required to provide is limited to what a "reasonable" person would do, and climbing from one balcony to another is not a "reasonable" action.  This would have no hope.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Balcony divider was not built for nor ever intended to hold the weight of a person. A lawsuit from the family would be the stupidest thing I could imagine (like the lawsuit from the grandpa dropping the kid on Royal) and would show the world what "jerks" they really are (using their kid's death to try and get rich).

Curious… someone knew she was climbing up something she shouldn’t have so they saw something… but no mention of that… it is sad but more people drive drunk and get killed or Jill someone than fall off a cruise ship.

27 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Nope.  Even if the divider broke, the "standard of care" that the cruise line is required to provide is limited to what a "reasonable" person would do, and climbing from one balcony to another is not a "reasonable" action.  This would have no hope.

Agreed, but some ambulance chaser somewhere will convince the family that that is not so. After all, they sold her the alcohol. (The only way I could see her family having a case is if she was underage and served alcoholic beverages.)

14 minutes ago, GooseNooga said:

Curious… someone knew she was climbing up something she shouldn’t have so they saw something… but no mention of that… it is sad but more people drive drunk and get killed or Jill someone than fall off a cruise ship.

I would imagine that it would only take a few seconds to successfully climb around a divider so I don't think there would have been much time to shout a warning. Plus, we can see much further than we can shout if there was even time to shout.

8 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Doesn't even need to be spring break. The university I work for had a teenager death the first week of school when he was highly drunk and fell from his top bunk and recevied extensive head injuries.

And regarding 15 drinks....I am not a heavy drink and I can hit 15 drinks in a day and not even be buzzed.

Alcohol will and always does hit people differently. Something as simple as being in the sun all day, dehydrated or eating very little that day, can incease the effects of alcohol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I heard it on fox news on my tv at 5 am. Came here to see if it was carnival. They just said a ship out of  San Diego. 

I knew it was Carnival when our news said the ship was on its way back to Long Beach.

2 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

Doesn't even need to be spring break. The university I work for had a teenager death the first week of school when he was highly drunk and fell from his top bunk and recevied extensive head injuries.

And regarding 15 drinks....I am not a heavy drink and I can hit 15 drinks in a day and not even be buzzed.

Alcohol will and always does hit people differently. Something as simple as being in the sun all day, dehydrated or eating very little that day, can incease the effects of alcohol

One person gets stupid on two beers and someone else can drain a keg with little effect.

• Like 2