Night light in bathroom?

tampadee

The Ruby has annoying motion lights in the cabins.   Experience from Caribe Balcony is with sensors under each nightstand and one in the closet area outside the bathroom.  
Also remember a motion light at the corner of the desk on an inside cabin.

We placed towels on the floor to block the sensor as it is very sensitive.

Here is a photo of a Grand Class bathroom. It has provision for both a US 110V 2 prong; polarized, one side bigger than the other, and a 230V. Clever how they put that stub there so you can't use both at the same time.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/walk-thru.php?line=Princess&class=Grand&cat=Balcony

Edited by mtnesterz

The Eurodam and presumably Nieuw Amsterdam have a very small, but powerful "night light" in the ceiling of the bathroom.  It's dim but covers the entire bathroom.  It's really a nice touch and I wish other cruise lines would add something similar.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Here is a photo of a Grand Class bathroom. It has provision for both a US 110V 2 prong; polarized, one side bigger than the other, and a 230V. Clever how they put that stub there so you can't use both at the same time.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/walk-thru.php?line=Princess&class=Grand&cat=Balcony

Every Princess ship I have been on has had a non-polarized US 110V 2 prong (both prongs the same size) plug in the bathroom. I suspect this is because the wattage is limited and they do not want passengers to plug in higher wattage devices.

So if you bring a night light to plug in, be sure it has both prongs the same smaller size.

890426 061 04.26.16 Cabin E409 bathroom electrical outlet DSC02564.JPG

• Like 2

My experience on (non-Princess) ships is that when the bathroom light is off, there is no power to that shaver-only outlet, so my plug-in night light didn't work.  Hopefully someone can confirm that plug-ins will work on Princess ships. 

As others have suggested, I now use battery powered tea lights.  

Edited by Joanne G.

On 12/15/2021 at 8:13 AM, tampadee said:

I just can't remember.  Is there a night light in the bathroom or do I need to bring something?  We're going on Ruby Princess.

The Ruby is the only Princess ship we’ve cruised on that has motion lights.  There are lights at the bottom of each nightstand, which are very helpful, IMO.  There is one light in the hall between the closet and the bathroom … way too bright!  Plus, if the sapeas are a bit roughy, your clothing hung i. The closet will have it coming on all night long.  Like mentioned, I love the ones at the nightstands, as they are nice soft lights and if you don’t like them, you can just put a towel in front of them.  The one one the ceiling by the closet/both room wasn’t really well thought out.  

When I was just on the Majestic they were installing motion sensors that turned on lights at the foot of the cabinets beside the bed as well as in the light in front of the bathroom door in the closet area.

Edited by nocl
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

My experience on (non-Princess) ships is that when the bathroom light is off, there is no power to that shaver-only outlet, so my plug-in night light didn't work.  Hopefully someone can confirm that plug-ins will work on Princess ships. 

Confirmed.

18 hours ago, john watson said:

I just leave the bathroom light on all night and the gap at the bottom of the door is enough to dimly light up the whole cabin.

Regards John

Great mines think alike I do the same thing it works for me. 💡

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

On 12/16/2021 at 7:21 AM, john watson said:

I just leave the bathroom light on all night and the gap at the bottom of the door is enough to dimly light up the whole cabin.

Regards John

I do exactly the same thing when I stay in a motel.

DON

On 12/16/2021 at 8:21 AM, john watson said:

Regards John

That solves the problem of getting to the bathroom safely in the middle of the night, but still leaves the problem of a very bright light on when you are in the bathroom when you might prefer it to be very dimly lit.

A night light is needed in order to avoid a bright light when inside the bathroom at night.

14 minutes ago, caribill said:

That solves the problem of getting to the bathroom safely in the middle of the night, but still leaves the problem of a very bright light on when you are in the bathroom when you might prefer it to be very dimly lit.

A night light is needed in order to avoid a bright light when inside the bathroom at night.

Oh dear, a complete novice cruiser.  When I go to the bathroom I always take the gorilla.  Where else are you going to get a clean towel from travelling with my daughter?  Just before you open the door you borrow his sunglasses as he wont need them after you dry your hands with the towel.

Regards John

Edited by john watson