Check-in Time...

dkny330

As passengers counts grow the chance of getting on early are less.  When we boarded they had lines set up by assigned time.  If you showed up at 1:00 for your 2:30 time you would line up in a area designated for 2:30.   If someone assigned 2 arrives after you they would still board before you.  

Personally I would not go more than 30 minutes early since standing in line outside doesn't appeal to me.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lola2013 said:

It is strongly suggested that you arrive at your designated time.  I have read, however, that a few people were able to successfully get an earlier check-in time.  

And I think they got that earlier time by going back to check in, is that right?

I am impressed with anyone who can show up on time or just a little earlier.  You have to factor in traffic and get there just at the right time.

Edited by zitsky

40 minutes ago, zitsky said:

And I think they got that earlier time by going back to check in, is that right?

I am impressed with anyone who can show up on time or just a little earlier.  You have to factor in traffic and get there just at the right time.

Correct about going back to online check in to look for an earlier time.  Sometimes you just get lucky.

For our September Edge cruise, my friend and I arrived at the cruise port right on time...amazing since the transportation promised by the hotel didn't show up...when a car did arrive, no one could have predicted the massive traffic jam we hit...along with the bridge closest to the port going up at just the wrong time!  Amazing that we made it at all...

We will allow plenty of time for next month's Reflection cruise...and won't be disappointed if we have to wait a bit to check in if we arrive a little early.  As long as the ship is in sight, I'm a happy girl.

29 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I remember someone saying you can use restrooms by going to the front of the line and begging to be let in?

And what happens if it rains?  Do they bring you inside?

Both reasons to not arrive more than 30 minutes before your assigned time.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

I remember someone saying you can use restrooms by going to the front of the line and begging to be let in?

And what happens if it rains?  Do they bring you inside?

We just were on on cruise departing from Ft Lauderdale. The terminal waiting area has a washroom, sorry.

We were about an hour early for our recent Apex cruise  out of Ft. Lauderdale but we would would have been waiting at the airport, so we decided we decide to travel to the port. We were greeted as they had entry points for all arrival times. There was a quick check of our papers and we were directed to board the ship and our keys(ship cabin entry cards)were outside of our cabin. Then it was off to lunch in the Lido restaurant.🥐🥗🍽️

There are a few cases of people showing up early and getting in ok. But we passed a line of early show-ups standing and waiting, and from the Many posts on previous threads, it’s Not a good idea 

they are doing this to lower the risk to us And their terminal staff so please follow what they are asking us to do. 

if you are worried about traffic and park at the terminal or another lot and get there early, have a seat in your car. Or enjoy your hotel room a bit longer.  The hotels are allowing guests to extend some past normal checkout according to another post. 

lots of options vs showing up when you are asked not to. Kind of our way of helping not to spread the pandemic, don’t you think. 

den

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Denny01 said:

There are a few cases of people showing up early and getting in ok. But we passed a line of early show-ups standing and waiting, and from the Many posts on previous threads, it’s Not a good idea 

they are doing this to lower the risk to us And their terminal staff so please follow what they are asking us to do. 

if you are worried about traffic and park at the terminal or another lot and get there early, have a seat in your car. Or enjoy your hotel room a bit longer.  The hotels are allowing guests to extend some past normal checkout according to another post. 

lots of options vs showing up when you are asked not to. Kind of our way of helping not to spread the pandemic, don’t you think. 

den

I'm sorry but I don't see what your boarding time has to do with preventing a pandemic.  Unless you are referring to fewer people on the ship = less risk.  Of course that fewer people becomes more people once everyone has boarded so I'm not sure what was the point. 

I suppose it's ok to go late, either on purpose or because of traffic?

Edited by zitsky

The reason for the assigned boarding times is to control the number of people at/in the terminal at any one time.  This allows for more social distancing = less risk.    If you arrive later than your assigned time then I believe you join the queue of the people with the current boarding time.

From the sailings listed in your signature your next sailing isn't until Oct.  Things may be significantly different by then especially in South America.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

The reason for the assigned boarding times is to control the number of people at/in the terminal at any one time.  This allows for more social distancing = less risk.    If you arrive later than your assigned time then I believe you join the queue of the people with the current boarding time.

From the sailings listed in your signature your next sailing isn't until Oct.  Things may be significantly different by then especially in South America.

Sure social distancing.  They could have said only so many people in the terminal.

Suite passengers walk right through so if they wanted to they could process first come first served.

I really don't expect things to be different a year from now.

40 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Sure social distancing.  They could have said only so many people in the terminal.

Suite passengers walk right through so if they wanted to they could process first come first served.

First come was how it was done pre-pandemic as you know. And it often resulted in huge crowds and long lines. Celebrity and other cruise lines are using assigned arrival times right now in an effort to avoid just that sort of pre-boarding crowding.  The system worked smoothly and quickly for us a few weeks ago in Port Everglades; easiest and fastest embarkation ever. 

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 1

When I was on the Constellation on Nov 22 the assigned times worked great.  The port crew that was working was very diligent making sure that people who came early had to wait until there assigned times.  It makes sense to do this and I have a feeling this might be something they keep doing if/when the restrictions ease.  It makes great sense to control the masses all showing up once causing the congestion.  I was thinking back to my last cruise pre pandemic and the long long lines for the sailing out of Ft Lauderdale on the Reflection, probably about 45-1hr at 1ish.  Got to skip it because someone in our party was in a wheelchair but controlling this aspect of the lines made it very quick and easy to get on board the Constellation.  Especially with the dbl checking of all your documentation going on right now.  

Prior to the Pandemic, the biggest crowds we faced during a cruise was checking in. And that was first come first served but with individual lines for suites and Club status. 

edit: Turtles just posted that!

that why they have set times. When we got there at our time we were aboard in less than 10min. walked in being reminded what docs to have out. Stepped up to the counter, no line. Processed and walked on. No photos. No lines. No hassle. 

This really isn’t that hard for us to do. I’d think we all understand why and understands we need to do it this very easy way. 

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, lovrccl said:

Check back in daily as earlier times may open up. It happened to our friends, they were able to get a 11:30 time a few days before cruising.

Thank you!  Just went into our Jan trip and updated to 11am from 1pm!  More time for more fun!

• Like 2

You need to do an online check in order to get your edocs, submit passport and vaccine information, and get a check in time.

Start by loading the Celebrity app to your phone and signing in.

further information on online check in can be found at:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/online-check-in

then follow the directions.

Good luck.

Edited by bookitdanno
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, M&Dcruisers said:

We leave in a couple of weeks.  How do we get a check-in time?

When you check-in for the cruise itself, there is an option for Check-in Time.  We found it automatically populated a time, but I just learned you can select a different time within that same option.

19 hours ago, dkny330 said:

Hi there - Excited to get back to cruising and we leave this weekend! Just got our check-in time and its pretty late at 2:30p. Do you have to go at this time or can you go earlier? Thanks!

Keep checking back.  Other times can open up.  Best of luck to you!