What type of masks are required?

Mflem1278

I have 2 layer cloth masks that I am planning on bringing on my Enchanted cruise January 9th.  But I saw a post from someone that made it sound like we were required to have KN95 or N95 masks.  Doesn't matter to me, I am fine with either kind but want to have the right ones with me.  If there is something on the Princess website, I am not seeing it.  Any help would be appreciated.

I found this on the website, but it doesn't say that you MUST wear a KN95 mask...  I think I will bring both kinds with me.

General Mask Guidance:

We recommend guests wash or replace their mask daily and choose a good quality mask. Health experts recommend the use of higher-grade masks while indoors such as surgical or KN95. Masks should have two or more layers, completely cover the nose and mouth, fit snuggly against the sides of the face and have a nose wire. Please note that visors and face shields will not be accepted as a substitute for a face mask.

Additionally, when going ashore, guests must be prepared to follow all local guidance regarding masks and physical distancing. The status of local guidelines will be shared with guests prior to debarkation at the destination.

These new requirements are being implemented to protect our guests and crew while onboard. Several destinations have implemented their own requirements and all guests will be required to follow the protocols in each destination we visit. We appreciate your cooperation and look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Last week, we saw people with a variety of masks. From N95 to paper surgical masks for the most part. There were several types of cloth masks as well. I also saw a couple people with the gaiter style. The bottom line, is that people wore their masks throughout the ship very diligently and respectful of other passengers. The Majestic was rated in the green category by the CDC. 

Some of the cloth masks were pretty fashionable. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Nashna said:

I would go with the KN95.  They are so much more comfortable than the cloth or paper.  Plus, they are much more effective.   

This is what I think too. The KN95 ones are really a lot more comfortable to wear, and they can be adjusted for a really nice fit around the edges, making them more effective.

2 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

This is what I think too. The KN95 ones are really a lot more comfortable to wear, and they can be adjusted for a really nice fit around the edges, making them more effective.

Agree    the Kn95 masks are the most safe  ;as they are snug fitting & 5  layers of protection 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fpsphil said:

The key words in this is "recommended". As long as its a mask I really don't see it being an issue

"recommended" not required. Big difference.

If they want me to change to a KN95 mask then they'll have to provide one otherwise it'll be the cheapy paper type.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, suekel said:

I got a decent price on Amazon yesterday ordering the KN95.  Takes about a week to receive, even with Prime.  

Us too. I ordered 25 from amazon for around $20 to the best of my memory. Took less than a week to be delivered. I don't have Prime. Not sure what that price would be.

• Like 1

Princess' current recommendation has been covered above.  So far on my post-pandemic cruising I've used KF94 respirators.  They're kinda sort of comfortable, and very nearly as effective as the N95s and KN95s and less likely to be counterfeited.  As one of my favorite philosophers once said, "If you're gonna do it, do it right".

• Like 1

I'm thinking this is a poor choice:

https://www.wtvm.com/2021/12/19/man-kicked-off-flight-wearing-underwear-face-mask/#:~:text=(WFTX) - A Florida man,on a United Airlines flight.

Personally, I would want to (and do) wear the best mask I can find.   NIOSH rated N95.

One of my colleagues wears a bandanna.

If a stagecoach ever shows up at our office, he will be ready to rob it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Personally, I would want to (and do) wear the best mask I can find.   NIOSH rated N95.

I agree. An American made N95 mask is better than a Chinese made KN95. N95 masks are tested and approved by NIOSH. To avoid counterfeits, check the CDC website for a list of NIOSH-approved N95 Particulate Filtering Facepiece Respirators. This list has links to the manufacturers' websites.

Edited by NavyVeteran
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 12:17 PM, Mflem1278 said:

I have 2 layer cloth masks that I am planning on bringing on my Enchanted cruise January 9th.  But I saw a post from someone that made it sound like we were required to have KN95 or N95 masks.  Doesn't matter to me, I am fine with either kind but want to have the right ones with me.  If there is something on the Princess website, I am not seeing it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Any mask is acceptable. There is no requirement.

2 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

I agree. An American made N95 mask is better than a Chinese made KN95. N95 masks are tested and approved by NIOSH. To avoid counterfeits, check the CDC website for a list of NIOSH-approved N95 Particulate Filtering Facepiece Respirators. This list has links to the manufacturers' websites.

I like the certified equipment list:

https://www2a.cdc.gov/drds/cel/cel_results.asp?startrecord=1&Search=cel_form&maxrecords=50&schedule=84A&appdatefrom=&appdateto=&powered=&scbatype=&scbause=&privatelabel=

A mask with NIOSH approval should have the approval number on it, and be listed on this list.

Purchasing and using anything like this is personal choice.    Many people are happy with simple paper filters.

I have no interested in telling others what to do.

My personal feeling: others will do little to protect ME.

I base this simply on watching other drivers who seem to be happy to kill me, if it will save them valuable seconds.

So, I choose to do as much as possible to protect ME.

Finally, this is an actual princess crew member wearing a 3M 8200 N-95 mask:

image.png.2c76d2b21f19bacc807310e708871f1f.png

First of all I want to make it clear that I think everyone has to decide for themselves which mask they are comfortable with AND ANY MASK IS BETTER THAN NO MASK.

That said - if you want to obsess about keeping yourself safe (which I guess I must confess I've fallen prey to) watch this guy's videos. He tested and reviewed all kinds of masks for effectiveness.

One quick takeaway is that Korean and US masks are FAR superior to Chinese and that most masks you buy on Amazon are Chinese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE5Uo3F2TdU

• Like 1