Son-In-Law Tests Positive !

Roxxy

Well, it happened .... We missed our cruise on the Reflection😣

We all (4 of us) tested negative upon leaving Canada on Dec 24th. Long story short ... 2 delayed flights and a whole lot of rebooking transportation to/from different airports finally got us into Ft.Lauderdale at midnight on the 24th.

Had 2 different Covid appointments we had to miss on the 24th but luckily had a 3rd one pre-booked for the morning of the 25th.

Received confirmation by text , showed up but the clinic was closed !!

Now what? Time is running out. Another $40 ON ANOTHER UBER and arrive at FLL for 10 am, only to line up for 2 1/2 HRS.

UBER to A1A Fort Lauderdale beach while we have breakfast and results by text come in. Negative,Negative,Negative, and POSITIVE 😮😮.

5 minutes later call from Florida State Health who says to go get PCR Test to confirm.

It's Christmas Day!!  Finally find a roadside tent and literally 5 1/2 HRS later of lining up in the hot sun ... Confirmed.  Positive !

So we don't board on the 27th, rent a car and get A quarantined in his own room in hotel. Today is day 6 and we have tested negative on 4 occasions now. 

Both Celebrity (our cruise) and Royal (his cruise) have advised no problem we will all be refunded.

We had Covid insurance thru Manulife so our accommodation is covered too.  Just wish we were on the Reflection right now!

We have managed to get all of our tests at n/c but it has been a lot of waiting.  The RAPID PCR Test did cost $400 but Will be reimbursed for that from Manulife.

Just wanted to share.

Would we do this again soon ? Not in your life ! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 9

Sorry about your SIL! 😔 Hope he will be ok.  And so sorry to hear about your missed cruise- even if reimbursed it is disappointing for sure.  Thanks for reporting this here.  With so much Omicron around, I fear that your unfortunate story will be repeated by others here over the next 1-2 months.  So it was good of you to provide your details and outcomes.  Best of luck and happy future cruising!

• Like 3

So stressful! This is exactly why I cancelled my trip to Aruba for mid-January earlier this month after Omicron was starting to spread. I didn’t want to deal with last minute testing requirements that could be delayed and possible quarantining in a foreign country if testing positive at end of trip. Not to mention curfews and restrictions on gatherings, etc. It just turns what’s supposed to be a relaxing vacation into lots of stress and worrying. Good luck to your family and hopefully symptoms stay mild.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Roxxy said:

We all (4 of us) tested negative upon leaving Canada on Dec 24th. Long story short ... 2 delayed flights and a whole lot of rebooking transportation to/from different airports finally got us into Ft.Lauderdale at midnight on the 24th.

Had 2 different Covid appointments we had to miss on the 24th but luckily had a 3rd one pre-booked for the morning of the 25th.

Now what? Time is running out. Another $40 ON ANOTHER UBER and arrive at FLL for 10 am, only to line up for 2 1/2 HRS.

UBER to A1A Fort Lauderdale beach while we have breakfast and results by text come in. Negative,Negative,Negative, and POSITIVE 😮😮.

5 minutes later call from Florida State Health who says to go get PCR Test to confirm.

It's Christmas Day!!  Finally find a roadside tent and literally 5 1/2 HRS later of lining up in the hot sun ... Confirmed.  Positive !

So we don't board on the 27th, rent a car and get A quarantined in his own room in hotel. Today is day 6 and we have tested negative on 4 occasions now. 

Both Celebrity (our cruise) and Royal (his cruise) have advised no problem we will all be refunded.

We had Covid insurance thru Manulife so our accommodation is covered too.  Just wish we were on the Reflection right now!

We have managed to get all of our tests at n/c but it has been a lot of waiting.  The RAPID PCR Test did cost $400 but Will be reimbursed for that from Manulife.

Just wanted to share.

I'm so sorry this happened. How awful.

We are sweating bullets right now. We are headed to YEG Jan 1 for our Jan 2 red eye. So nervous that I did a rapid test today (negative), my husband and I will rapid test tomorrow before our Pharmasave RAT on Jan 1.  Now we hear West Jet is cancelling 15% of it's flights (ours is likely to be delayed to a later flight - as per two delays on record).

Still I wonder, safer here or there? We have had our highest AB count on record AND we are limiting AHS PCR testing to high risk only.

Sigh....this after our EPIC 30 day March 2020 cruise. 

19 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

So stressful! This is exactly why I cancelled my trip to Aruba for mid-January earlier this month after Omicron was starting to spread. I didn’t want to deal with last minute testing requirements that could be delayed and possible quarantining in a foreign country if testing positive at end of trip. Not to mention curfews and restrictions on gatherings, etc. It just turns what’s supposed to be a relaxing vacation into lots of stress and worrying. Good luck to your family and hopefully symptoms stay mild.

Smart thing to do really.  I am finally beginning to learn with this virus that we should plan our cruises and trips probably in the May-October period by following the peaks and troughs pattern that has emerged.  Cruising Dec-Mar period will have the greatest chance of disruptions.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Smart thing to do really.  I am finally beginning to learn with this virus that we should plan our cruises and trips probably in the May-October period by following the peaks and troughs pattern that has emerged.  Cruising Dec-Mar period will have the greatest chance of disruptions.  

I'm not looking at any international travel until maybe the end of the year at the earliest. Omicron gives some hope that this virus will continue to mutate into less severe variants and hopefully turn into just another common cold (the cold is part of the coronavirus family). With the speed it's spreading I'm hoping that will happen within the next 6 months or so. Nixing my June cruises though as final payment is in early March and I still don't think we'll have a clear idea by then of where this virus is headed.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

I'm not looking at any international travel until maybe the end of the year at the earliest. Omicron gives some hope that this virus will continue to mutate into less severe variants and hopefully turn into just another common cold (the cold is part of the coronavirus family). With the speed it's spreading I'm hoping that will happen within the next 6 months or so. Nixing my June cruises though as final payment is in early March and I still don't think we'll have a clear idea by then of where this virus is headed.

I think I would wait a bit on deciding the June cruises since you have two months.  Omicron will probably burn itself out pretty quickly based on South Africa data.  And hopefully the current surge everywhere subsides and the population develops higher immunity overall.  That is my hope.  I think the northern hemisphere summer period will be a low point again and a decent time to cruise.  I have a cruise (Iceland) in August and I am optimistic I can make that!  Happy New Year!

• Like 2

On 12/31/2021 at 7:41 AM, TeeRick said:

I would add, 7 day cruises only and no B2Bs during the winter months. I know that doesn’t help our Canadian neighbors. Perhaps a 7-10 cruise with a 4-5 day post-cruise cushion in case the worst happens.

I do think that this may be our last, big, super disruptive round with Covid, especially if we can start getting more vaccine to Africa and other areas that are woefully under-vaccinated. Omicron is acting, in vaccinated persons, like a super super infectious cold or flu. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I would add, 7 day cruises only and no B2Bs during the winter months. I know that doesn’t help our Canadian neighbors. Perhaps a 7-10 cruise with a 4-5 day post-cruise cushion in case the worst happens.

I do think that this may be our last, big, super disruptive round with Covid, especially if we can start getting more vaccine to Africa and other areas that are woefully under-vaccinated. Omicron is acting, in vaccinated persons, like a super super infectious cold or flu. 

Cruising will undergo a rough patch for a bit and then recover quickly.  Yes Omicron might be also acting sort of like an "attenuated" live virus vaccine.  It is likely building a lot of immunity out there quickly.  So fingers crossed this surge might start the demise of COVID.  But you are right about getting vaccine to Africa.

On 12/30/2021 at 10:31 PM, Payd said:

I'm so sorry this happened. How awful.

We are sweating bullets right now. We are headed to YEG Jan 1 for our Jan 2 red eye. So nervous that I did a rapid test today (negative), my husband and I will rapid test tomorrow before our Pharmasave RAT on Jan 1.  Now we hear West Jet is cancelling 15% of it's flights (ours is likely to be delayed to a later flight - as per two delays on record).

Still I wonder, safer here or there? We have had our highest AB count on record AND we are limiting AHS PCR testing to high risk only.

Sigh....this after our EPIC 30 day March 2020 cruise. 

You are safe today probably only at home.  Daughter always wore N95 mask and fully vaccinated.  Felt ill 9 days ago.  Positive test and comes out of isolation tomorrow.   Still feels tired and no smell or taste.  Fully vaccinated and boosted, so you never know.

Each person needs to make their own decisions as to their stress level in dealing with uncertainty regarding flights and travel in general.  Will there be more disruptions in the coming weeks?  Likely.  Will port calls be cancelled or changed?  Likely.  I would be good to go.  My dear wife cancelled a trip to see daughter now that she will be out of quarantine.  Thus we will be home till cases drop way down.

FWIW- testing here is pretty easy with walking at county sites.  Antigen kits are gone in all stores.  Vaccinations again are walk in at county sites.  2 week wait at pharmacies for an appointment.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

On 12/30/2021 at 8:19 AM, Roxxy said:

Just wanted to share.

Thank  you for sharing this with us and wish your SIL a quick recovery.   Hope it hasn’t migrated to the rest of your family.   Our group cancelled our Feb Equinox 12 day Caribbean cruise.  We were concerned this exact thing would happen.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Omicron is acting, in vaccinated persons, like a super super infectious cold or flu. 

And yet cases are cases are cases to any governmental agency.  No real interest in distinguishing between delta cases and omicron cases in the positivity rates and case totals, and those positivity rates and case totals are being used to drive all kinds of public (and private!) policy.  The CLIA is in a really tough and unenviable spot at the moment with a senator publicly using the tired old 'petri dish' analogy and calling for the industry to completely shut down again.

It seems Celebrity is doing all of the drawing inside the lines that it can right now, but it's hard to see how any of the current mitigation protocols are going to be able to produce the outcome that outside agencies want to see - in spite of the lack of more than a VERY rare truly negative outcome for passengers due to their vaccination status and the nature of the latest variant.

I was a little worried earlier when it appeared from one post that contact traces were now being held in the red zone, but - whew - it turns out that this isn't the case.  I'm sure a lot of Celebrity passengers are more comfortable booking knowing that if they get caught in the contact trap, they will continue to be allowed to do their 2 day quarantine in their own cabins, with only the inconvenience of required masking in public spaces afterward.

As I have noted earlier, we could have an even milder and more infections variant next, and you can bet that much of the policy will continue to be based upon positivity rate and 'case' count.  Current PCR and antigen tests can't tell the difference, and unless someone has a source for cheap in-home sequencers, we're stuck with this paradigm until a lot of government wonks wake up to the fact that a new approach is going to be necessary.

Sorrry

/rant

• Like 3

On 12/30/2021 at 8:19 AM, Roxxy said:

Just wanted to share.

So sorry.  I also hope your SIL is doing well.  

My pre cruise test today resulted positive,  my daughter negative.  So no cruise for us Jan 3. 

Our issue is everything is closed today so we can't notify the airline or cruise line. I don't want to just cancel without letting them know it is due to covid.  But looks like they may not be open until at least tomorrow or Monday.  Very frustrating. 

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you as well.

Email your positive test result along with your reservation number and names of party travelling with you to

Celebrityrrs@Celebrity.com to put it on record. Then follow up with phone call.

In order for us to fly back to Canada we have to all have a NEGATIVE PCR Test in hand which so far we are all testing negative every second day.

Unfortunately our flight is scheduled 14 days from SIL 's positive test so he will have to fly back a day after we all do.

Everyone is feeling great and we are having a great holiday (staying safe!).

4 hours ago, cangelmd said:

The issue is not necessarily getting more doses to Africa as it is developing an effective distribution system in Africa. One country there just destroyed over a million doses because it expired before it could be distributed.

Big difference between vaccinated and not vaccinated.  We could pretty much ignore it now in the US, if everyone here was vaccinated.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 2

So sorry for you all.  The trip to FLL was bad enough but then learning you could not go on your cruise must have been devastating.

We wish your SIL a speedy recovery and continuing negative tests for the rest of you.

On 12/30/2021 at 7:19 AM, Roxxy said:

Just wanted to share.

So kind of you to share. WOW! What a mess, I wish you and everyone else only the best.