Has Infinity summer been cancelled

york survey

I have been keeping track of my infinity July 2022 cruise and there has always been loads of availability. However last night ALL the Europe Summer season balcony and above cabins as sold out!!  Only outside and inside guarantees available!!  Is this an IT hick up or are they about to be pulled?

Would be interested to know if it's the same on the US site?

I mentioned yesterday I would suspect to see some ships getting shuffled around for the summer season. Final payments for April cruises are already upon us. The same thing appears on the consumer site and the TA side. 

Edited by Jeremiah1212

12 minutes ago, york survey said:

I have been keeping track of my infinity July 2022 cruise and there has always been loads of availability. However last night ALL the Europe Summer season balcony and above cabins as sold out!!  Only outside and inside guarantees available!!  Is this an IT hick up or are they about to be pulled?

Would be interested to know if it's the same on the US site?

Availability (as well as capacity) is quite a different term right now and really cannot be measured or estimated by what shows up on the website this far in advance.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Availability (as well as capacity) is quite a different term right now and really cannot be measured or estimated by what shows up on the website this far in advance.

So true but every cruise …. Overnight!!

We have a saying in Yorkshire “there’s a duck in the hedge”. Meaning something is not right

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Infinity has kind of been a mystery ship since cruising was discontinued. Two of our European cruises aboard her, 2020 and 2021, were canceled and we are currently booked on a two-time lift & shift from Barcelona to Venice/Ravenna on April 24th, 2022. Infinity has just been hanging out in and around Europe and I believe that her first paid passenger cruise in a long time will be on April 15. I certainly hope the old aphorism "third time's a charm" works out here. 

Any Infinity specifics known to anyone, and shared, would be much appreciated.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

There have been rumors for 2 years about the status of the Infinity, since she missed her Revolutionizing in 2020 that was sorely needed. Maybe X is finally pulling the ship as she is being sold.

You maybe right but I don't think yet. All the winter 2022/23 South America is still bookable on her.

My guess is that there is not enough demand for all the ships coming to Europe this year and they want to increase capacity. So have decided not to bring Infinity back into service yet.  Be a shame but makes some sense.

Time will tell

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

There have been rumors for 2 years about the status of the Infinity, since she missed her Revolutionizing in 2020 that was sorely needed. Maybe X is finally pulling the ship as she is being sold.

I agree this is a likely outcome. Infinity had a dry docking in Cadiz almost a year ago when essential maintenance on the hull and propulsion machinery was carried out and the hull repainted. That would normally see her good for 3/5 years

I agree Infinity is well overdue an upgrade. But if they are looking to increase payload and have too many ships in Europe this summer (we are talking a planned 7 ships.... 3xE, 2xS, 2xM)  taking infinity out would make sense.

Although Celebrity attract all nationalities the majority of customers are from North America. Given the virus uncertainties and the current prices, I just don't see them persuading that number of people to travel across the pond this year... 

It really IS strange... We're also booked on the April 24th. voyage because it was the one with the most interesting itinerary.

I looked at Celebrity's and a German booking website and strangely enough you can book inside and outside guarantees for "Infinity", but all balconies, suites etc. are gone - at the moment??

It seems to me that Celebrity is concentrating on selling cabins on the Edge-class ships and I agree that the cruise line in their optimism seem to have sent too many ships to Europe for the 2022 season.

On the other hand I have followed Infinity's itineraries - which for us were the only interesting ones in 2022 - and the April and May cruises were already heavily booked or even sold out.

Let's hope for the best - I'd really hate to see this cruise cancelled!

We are booked on the Infinity in September.    Maybe it's just a temporary glitch (we've seen plenty of those in the past), but have a feeling this one might be due to the Infinity finally being sold or re-deployed this summer. I was a little hesitant to book the Infinity this year since I felt her future was a bit uncertain, but the itinerary really worked perfectly into our work schedule and our checklist of places wanting to visit.    Time to start working on a Plan B just in case.

But why weren't ALL bookings stopped, then? It's a bit strange that you can still book inside or outside guarantees, the rest is gone-

Perhaps they're still counting balcony cabins to decide which ones to use for quarantine reasons??😵

The last time I looked because I was not sure I wouldn't want to change my booking to a a later date bookings for Infinity especially the ones following the transatlantic went quite well and the prices for the better categories had risen enormously.

I’m really interested in what is happening now with these sailings, we are due on in July and just looking at the availability and as above they are only showing inside guarantees we only booked this a few weeks ago and there was quite a few cabins left. 

Hoping it’s just a change of ship.

Very interesting indeed.  We are booked on the May 5 sailing out of Venice (Ravenna) and when I checked to see if there were any changes to pricing today and all cabins except inside are showing "not available" seems quite odd since last week or so there were plenty available, we also had friends just cancel this cruise (conflicts at that time) which puts a sky suite back in play.  Odd to say the least.

We are booked for October 31 out of Lisbon on Infinity, and I see the same for this cruise.  All categories sold out except for outside guarantee.  There were too many rooms available a short time ago for this to be true. I even booked air today through Flights by Celebrity.  Something doesn’t add up.  

I believe that the work done on Infinity's hull was to prepare her structurally for cruises to and around Antarctica. Besides our current booking in April in Europe - a two-time lift and shift - we were scheduled for a 2/22 Antarctica cruise on Infinity. That is now scheduled for 2/23. Obviously, she did not fulfill any winter obligations while remaining in Europe for the last two years. It just seems that we and she are not meant to be. For those of us who would really like to sail these attractive European itineraries, as well as Antarctica in 2023, it would be nice to know that if Infinity is not in the picture hopefully another ship is. Celebrity would really do well for all passengers if they would not wait until the last minute to let us know if we go...or not.

• Thanks 1

Oh, I hope the European Infinity sailings for 2022 aren’t cancelled/changed.  I finally booked a Sweet 16 cabin..plus we are doing a side by side sailing with a diff cruise line.  With air & hotels booked (not paid for though), I would be crushed if my much researched trip is changed.

We are booked for Antarctica next January at an extremely reasonable fare.

I hope Celebrity changes ships if Infinity is sold off rather than canceling entirely.

Hopefully they would do so as they are selling these cruises for ‘24 on Eclipse so these are not just one off itineraries for them.

12 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I believe that the work done on Infinity's hull was to prepare her structurally for cruises to and around Antarctica. Besides our current booking in April in Europe - a two-time lift and shift - we were scheduled for a 2/22 Antarctica cruise on Infinity. That is now scheduled for 2/23. Obviously, she did not fulfill any winter obligations while remaining in Europe for the last two years. It just seems that we and she are not meant to be. For those of us who would really like to sail these attractive European itineraries, as well as Antarctica in 2023, it would be nice to know that if Infinity is not in the picture hopefully another ship is. Celebrity would really do well for all passengers if they would not wait until the last minute to let us know if we go...or not.

I seem to recall Infinity sailing around South America and Antarctica for a number of years prior to the pandemic.  We did the trip on Eclipse but I'm pretty sure it was Infinity at some point.  So what structural hull improvements would be needed?  Or just hull maintenance?

Another possibility is that the entire ship has been chartered.  Happened to us one time.  We had to change sailing dates.  If there is no availability for two or three months, a refit would be the likely reason.  One sailing only....probably chartered.

16 minutes ago, PKB said:

Another possibility is that the entire ship has been chartered.  Happened to us one time.  We had to change sailing dates.  If there is no availability for two or three months, a refit would be the likely reason.  One sailing only....probably chartered.

Not a charter, every cruise for the Infinity through November is affected. Only ocean view and inside cabins show as available and those are only a guaranteed cabin status. Something is up or Celebrity is just limiting capacity, but I do not believe that is the case.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I seem to recall Infinity sailing around South America and Antarctica for a number of years prior to the pandemic.  We did the trip on Eclipse but I'm pretty sure it was Infinity at some point.  So what structural hull improvements would be needed?  Or just hull maintenance?

I am sure you are correct, TR. If you recall, pre-pandemic, there were several threads pertaining to the eventual fate of X's 'M' Class ships. Among those many suppositions was the suggestion that Infinity's hull would be re-enforced in order to meet new certification requirements for Antarctica sailings. Obviously, with those itineraries open for future booking at that time, a reasonable assumption. That is all that I am basing my comments on. Seems those 'M' Class discussions kind of faded away with the onset of Covid19, thus leaving us all to continue guessing.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, "a mystery ship" to me at the moment. It seems to others, as well. Perhaps nothing has been done, nor will be. Are we folks with future bookings destined to bypass Infinity and go Beyond? Perhaps.    

Edited by Spif Barwunkel