Is it worth it?

FiremedicMike151

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Last day of the cruise, I was discreetly handing out envelopes to the wait staff for the Bar, Restaurant and the concierges for their good service.  This guy was once again sitting at the bar, making sure people saw him dolling out dollars to the staff from a fist full of bills.

Its people like this that the rest of the world call "Ugly Americans". Seen way too many on our travels.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

A few years ago my husband and I did a winery tour in Montalcino, Italy.  We had a private driver/guide but at the end of the tour it included a delicious Italian lunch.  There was another group of two couples who asked if we wanted to sit with them, reluctantly we said yes.  Anyway, all introduced ourselves, where from etc. then one of the guys said to me, did you say he is your husband?  I said well yes that is what I just said.  The response was, you have got to be kidding are you sure he is not your son, guffaw guffaw guffaw from his traveling companions.  Now my husband is just a "tad" younger then me 🥰 but he is also 100% Chinese and I am 100% American.  As much as I wanted to unload on the guy, out of respect for my husband I simply said well I guess ignorance has no borders.  It was then a very quiet lunch, but hey we took home some amazing Brunello.  Moral of the story, even when I travel alone, I always sit by myself.

Good grief..you handled it well.  

4 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Its people like this that the rest of the world call "Ugly Americans". Seen way too many on our travels.

I tip during the cruise, and I usually tip a larger amount at the end of the cruise, I always make it point to be discreet....Classy is always better.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2022 at 11:06 AM, clojacks said:

I would add, that after about 4 cruises on Carnival and approx 12 or so on Celebrity, at my demographic and interests, I don’t know if I would sail Carnival for 1/3 of the price.

I actually have an offer in my Carnival account for a free balcony cabin on what seems to be any of their cruises. Even longer than 7 days. I’m thinking about it. 

22 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Celebrity's differences are hard to put an exact finger on, but it feels nicer.  No towel dance comes to mind around the pools...you find towels already out in the morning, and there are carts of clean towels around when you need more, no cards to flash, etc...pick up 4 if you want.  Just one example.  

One of the main things which drove us from the MDR on Carnival a long time ago was the dancing waiters. Not only the feigned smile I had to sport (so as not to appear overly stiff or indifferent in the presence of others joy/amusement) but it always delayed my dessert !!

Tom

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

We always get a table for 2-- learned our lesson " years " ago !!!!

Same!  On a river cruise, the man was so obnoxious we actually got up and left the table during dinner.

We always dine with just the two of us, and when asked to join another group, we politely decline. 

• Like 2

Our first cruise in 1999 was on a Carnival cruise out of San Juan and it was very nice on the new at that time Fascination. I thought the food was a little overrated and was shocked at how much we had to pay for all the extras like an espresso and a coke. My memories of the cruise were the long lines of people waiting for the buffet and how I heard people saying things like I intend to eat enough to equal what I paid for the cruise. I remember how every morning on the room TV they showed videos of drunks around the pool doing silly or stupid things the previous day and night. Our next cruise was on RCCL and compared to Carnival it was 100% better for about the same cost as Carnival. We then moved to sailing on both HAL and Celebrity and finally discovered the refinements of more premium cruising. Now that we are both retired and fortunately have more time and can afford to spend more, we choose to cruise in suites on the cruise lines that fit our current lifestyle better. We will never go back on another Carnival cruise at any price including free, and out of the many cruise lines we have been with it is the only one I can say this about.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I wish I had the ability to come back with something to shut someone like that down, but instead I just wait it out - and get out as soon as possible.

Tom

But sometimes looks and walking away are better than words. We've been lucky and have only had two minor occurrences. One in 2017 entering the MDRfor the way we were dressed. I did call that person out on her comment. The other was 2019. We were instructed to sit in the waiting area for the CC top three tier levels and boarding would start in approximately 20 minutes. Another couple sat right across from us. Within minutes the guy says, I guess you must be elite or above to be sitting here. So what tier level are you two? I shrugged my shoulders and shook my head like I didn't know. Later we both said we thought he was just busting at the seems to let us know their tier level. Don't care. Luckily right after that they announced we could start boarding. Off my wife and I went. On the second evening during the CC evening HH in the Sky Lounge that same couple saw us walking in. The way they looked at us I thought for sure he was going to run over to the CC host and question her as to why were were allowed to be in there. Which everyone knows, especially on the first evening of the CC HH you have to show your Seapass cards to the CC host standing at the entrance to the Sky Lounge. We thought it was funny. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

I lied, one more question.

With Carnival, there's zero point in booking through a travel agent.. Is there any advantage to doing so with Celebrity 

Sometimes, the travel agents have group bookings that can save significant amounts of money.  Greatly depends on the specific sailing and the cabin you want.  I recently booked a sailing for this summer that saved around 20%.

Otherwise maybe some OBC, a couple of other perks.  Some people have had good experience with travel agents getting them options they would not be able to get on their own.

3 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Not sure if you are familiar with cruisedeckplans.com, but they have video of both rooms, but both are from before the ship was revolutionized:

I'll definitely check those out!!  Which did you prefer in the end?  Any issues with noise from the lift in 8117 or noise from MDR in 6145?

Edited by FiremedicMike151

1 minute ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

I'll definitely check those out!!  Which did you prefer in the end?  Any issues with noise from the lift in 8117 or noise from MDR in 6145?

I haven't been in either room. I have only stayed in 6126 (linked to pictures in a previous post on this thread). My photos at least show what the Sky Suites look like after they were updated. I think the main thing I would look at in comparing these two videos is the balcony space, since that would be the same, just with the new couch and table/chairs. Personally of these two, I would probably pick 8117, because it's so close to the elevators. I always pick rooms close to the elevators unless I am in an aft.

12 minutes ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

Can't decide between Summit cabin 6145 and 8117..

An advantage of 6145 is that you are surrounded by higher suites, which means you likely have one of the best butlers and room attendants on board. It's also a quiet area.

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Speaking of which, I dropped $200 at Montgomery Inn Boathouse last weekend.  For the “non-Cincinnatians”, that’s our Ribs place locally (and a good one).

When we go back to Cincinnati, we hit up Skyline instead of Montgomery Inn 😉  We were there this past weekend for a funeral, and sadly didn't have time for it.  Family dinner at National Exemplar instead.

3 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

Tried to PM you for more info, but it's disabled 😞

You can't PM on CC.

Agree to use a travel agent for extra refundable OBC and/or group rates.  For our past couple 7 night cruises in a balcony cabin, we've gotten $175-$225.

I found the one we've been using several years ago on a site where once you've narrowed down the cruise you want, you create a quote request and TAs respond with their offer.  It's set up through a website so they don't have your personal information or anything.  We liked the service with that agent enough to keep using her.

Edited by hiccups

I tried the TA route a couple of times, but not being able to deal directly with the cruise line a couple of times was a deal breaker. Especially when I was having issues getting in touch with the TA, for more than a day (when rates dropped, etc).

Having said that - our reservation on the Reflection next month was through a Blue Chip Club promo, one that I couldn't pass up (RS under $2k pp).... where do I sign? 🙂 

Tom

11 minutes ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

I did it!  October 27 out of Miami for a 4 day!

Went with room 6145 mostly for the lack of foot traffic, larger balcony, and the potential for better service.

Thanks to everyone!

Congratulations! I do hope you will come back in November and let us know your thoughts. I also hope that you are able to truly relax (see post 70).

• Like 1

Thank goodness the OP was able to make up his mind despite all the off-topic posts that really meant absolutely nothing. Overt tipping, braggadocio, table mates at dinner, off-putting questions from strangers etc., etc., etc. Goes on everywhere on every ship and yet has nothing to do with the thread topic. A chance to do some storytelling, that's all. When you think about it, I am sure we are all the topic of someone's story, somewhere at some time. 

Good on ya, FiremedicMike15, for sifting through all the meaningless drivel and making a good decision.   

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Thank goodness the OP was able to make up his mind despite all the off-topic posts that really meant absolutely nothing. Overt tipping, braggadocio, table mates at dinner, off-putting questions from strangers etc., etc., etc. Goes on everywhere on every ship and yet has nothing to do with the thread topic. A chance to do some storytelling, that's all. When you think about it, I am sure we are all the topic of someone's story, somewhere at some time. 

Good on ya, FiremedicMike15, for sifting through all the meaningless drivel and making a good decision.   

Meaningless drivel - you're welcome 😄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

I did it!  October 27 out of Miami for a 4 day!

Went with room 6145 mostly for the lack of foot traffic, larger balcony, and the potential for better service.

Thanks to everyone!

Enjoy! Know that 6145 can be a little dark due to lack of windows/natural light, but that is unique to this cabin. Aside from that sole trade-off, it's fantastic.

• Thanks 1