Earliest Time Off Ship to Catch FLL Flight

Tina99

What is the earliest you have caught a flight home on that oh-so-sad morning when we have to leave the ship?  And do you forego leaving your luggage outside your cabin door the night prior and self-lug it all OR can you arrange with RC to handle early debarkation?

I would say 930, but I would be stressed.  All the pieces have to fall into place.

1100, not stressed.

I would take my own luggage.  Someone has taken mine from the pier before (they did eventually bring it back).

Edited by dabucs
  • Like 1

U can generally walk off by 7-7:30. Airport is only 10 min away. I usually walk off with luggage around 9 because we sleep in a little grab a bit from park cafe and then get off ship. I am usually home by 9:40 doing laundry in Palm beach. 

Just choose self-disembarkation and take your own luggage. Last time, we had an 11am flight and were sitting in the Delta lounge for several hours. The airport is so close, I want to say we were through security by 8am. (This was March 2020, the morning after all cruises were canceled - so we were happy to be in the Delta lounge and not in the chaos that FLL was that day!).

Personally, I do not like to feel rushed or stressed after getting off a cruise so we try to book flights for 11 am or after.    

You can easily take a taxi or uber to the airport but you never know how long the security line at TSA will be so it is best to have TSA pre-check to avoid the lines.    

We have used the luggage valet service that Royal offers but your flight has to be within a certain time range for this service (sorry I don't remember the time range).    

we've done an early flight, it's good to get home, but it sucks that we woke up really early(before 6am) to be among the 1st ones off the ship using self disembarkation.  I would do it if I didn't have an alternative.

Dan

Though rare 3 times in 2018 and 2019 my Ship didnt even start letting anyone off until 7:30-7:45. I'm never in hurry, last one off Ship those Dates it was after 10am, in Cab 1030-1040. Around Holidays have seen line out door at FLL several times, was First Class and Luggage Valet so no issue for me. Funny thing is seems like every time Ship was at Pier 18 took longer get us all off then older Piers where towards end they didnt even look at ID pushing us threw. This Experience is all non-Oasis Class

I did a 930 am flight once . Schlepped the bags myself . I always take a flight after 12pm  now ... why take a chance .

Only once there was a delay getting off the ship , and many were concerned about missing their flight. I didnt have any issue with my  1 pm flight .

We had a 11:20am flight, on Celebrity Apex earlier this month.

Asked for lowest #8 luggage tag.

We were called at 7:50am,

luggage waiting in terminal,

immigration/customs took less than a minute,

out of terminal by 8am,

there were numerous taxis waiting, & we're on our way to airport by 8:05am

took about 10 minutes to arrive at airport

Always plan for anything that can derail your early flight.

For example, We sailed Anthem for NYE, on the way back one of the Azipods had mechanical issues.

We arrived to port 2.5 hours late, which led to us disembarking later than expected.  Once we arrived we needed to wait for DHS to allow us to start disembarkation process.

Needless to say I am glad we always book flight later in the day.

We have an 11:00 for next month.  We will drag off all our bags. We can still manage them but it’s awkward.  Only other option for us was 4 pm and we hate hanging at the airport.  We won’t do any earlier although I have been at the gate once at 1000.  We have to check bags at the airport which there is always a line for but we do have pre check.  The security lines can be long too.  And of course this is all dependent upon clearing customs promptly.  I feel comfortable leaving the ship by 8 a.m. especially with face recognition they are using.  

I just did a 10:30 with nervous parents out of Miami.  the new "request your time" luggage tags help (got earliest possible and ended up off the ship at ~7:45).  We took a cab rather than Uber (cab line was short, and fixed fee in Miami, so it was 1/3rd the price, plus we didn't have to coordinate the meetup). We have TSA precheck, and on that day were flying first class (smaller bag check line, smaller security line).  We didn't even stop for customs because of facial recognition... Really much faster than I had hoped- which just meant I was bored at the airport!! I try to get to my gate 10 minutes before boarding and we were there a whole hour!

Before pandemic, 10 am was very possible.

On Allure now and self-disembark is scheduled between 6:45-7 AM..  Airport is about 10 minutes and there are plenty of cabs.

My biggest concern now, is the blizzard that is taking place in New Jersey and impact on tomorrow's flights.  Glad taht I have a noon flight and arriving at approximately 3-3:30 PM.  Gives the airport more time to get back to normal, if possible.

Edited by nelblu