Has anyone brought fortified wine aboard?

Smhp

The alcohol policy online states 2 bottles of 750 ml wine is allowed but I read somewhere else that fortified wine is not. Has anyone successfully brought Port, Sherry or Madera aboard? 

As long as it has the word "wine" on it somewhere, you are good. I typically bring on mead. Only had 1 time where they started to give me a hard time. I pointed to the words "honey wine" on the label and they were like "OK. Have a nice day.". Generally speaking, as long as it is in a wine bottle with a sealed cork, they generally wave you on through.

44 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Will anyone admit to bringing 2 bottles per person for a total of 4 bottles for the stateroom?

I hope not.  

I don’t care if people figure out how to break the rules but please don’t admit to it or share instructions  on a public message board. Those of us who enjoy the benefit of bringing two bottles of wine per cabin would like that option  to continue. 

it wasn’t that long ago that bringing a bottle of wine was prohibited. We love the new option. 

m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, soremekun said:

Will anyone admit to bringing 2 bottles per person for a total of 4 bottles for the stateroom?

We did - i figured i'd just play dumb and pretend I misunderstood if i got caught .. 2 of us just separated when going thru security ... no problem.   

(But i won't say which port 😉  )

• Like 3

We have found the strictest rules to be from the Baltimore port. They had us remove the bottles of wine from our carry-on, one was gift wrapped they required us to unwrapped it and  they examined the bottles.  We’ve sailed from that port three times, and all three times we’ve had the same routine.

Rarely experienced anything close to that from any other US or foreign port. 

m

Edited by cruisegirl1

44 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We have found the strictest rules to be from the Baltimore port. They had us remove the bottles of wine from our carry-on, one was gift wrapped they required us to unwrapped it and  they examined the bottles.  We’ve sailed from that port three times, and all three times we’ve had the same routine.

Rarely experienced anything close to that from any other US or foreign port. 

m

Of course we are going out of Baltimore. I am tempted to bring a port and a regular wine, if they confiscate the port, oh well. 

3 hours ago, Smhp said:

Of course we are going out of Baltimore. I am tempted to bring a port and a regular wine, if they confiscate the port, oh well. 

You'll get it back at the end of the cruise so all is not lost.  Not sure security is looking at port vs regular wine but more inspection of the bottles/closures etc. 

18 hours ago, kiska said:

Many many times. Hold up the bottle, point to the word wine. They're really not that savvy

I took a quick look at my bottle of Port and my bottle of Sherry.  Neither of them say wine.

17 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

You'll get it back at the end of the cruise so all is not lost.  Not sure security is looking at port vs regular wine but more inspection of the bottles/closures etc. 

In the past there have been reports of people taking a wine bottle, filling it with something that is not wine and recorking/sealing.

So they started looking more closely at the bottles.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 2/1/2022 at 2:58 AM, soremekun said:

We did, on Carnival last Oct. We didn't attempt to hide it, just walked up and they said 'keep moving'. So we did. 

• Like 1