Can we have a thread highlighting where Quarantine Cabins are on Princess Ships? (Helps picking rooms)

Ombud

On 2/14/2022 at 6:42 PM, nini said:

Great thread.

How they figure this is a mystery. We are booked for the Enchanted this June and they moved all mid ship angled Dolphin balcony cabins to tiny balconies one floor up. We are traveling with friends and wanted a decent sized balcony next to each other. Now they are in a small balcony across from the laundromat and we also were moved to a small balcony room.

They said that this was per CDC guidelines.

See if there is anything on Sun Deck 17.  Bigger balconies on that deck. Not as nice as what you had but bigger than what you have now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonesnewl said:

Does anyone have a general sense of what proportion of total passengers on any given Princess cruise are ending up with some days of their cruise in quarantine at this point in time (i.e. 1%, 5%, 10%, 15%)? Same question for staff?

Princess is not saying, No announcements by any official source.  Question is dodged if anyone in an official capacity is asked.  A crew member on the Jan 19 Hawaii cruise said that there was 21 passengers in quarantine which would have been about 1.6%. Know of one couple for sure that tested positive on the day 3 test.  Since the crew member was part of the wait staff no idea of how accurate that number may have been.  

The ship clearly had occupied rooms in the quarantine deck.  Though the port side was quarantine yellow.  Those  crew members doing their 10 day quarantine before starting work on the ship.  Someone said that they saw lights on in 18 rooms on that side.  The star board side was quarantine Red, those that had tested positive or in close contact to someone that tested positive.  Do not know how many rooms were occupied on that side.

There were some crew members that had to quarantine during the cruise.  You would only know if you noticed a change in staff and you asked then they would say that the individual that was missing was either in quarantine or filling in for someone that went into quarantine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

See if there is anything on Sun Deck 17.  Bigger balconies on that deck. Not as nice as what you had but bigger than what you have now. 

We moved to an aft cabin in the Riviera deck with a big balcony.

In December we were moved from our Grand Princess wheelchair accessible balcony cabin on the Caribe deck to a non-accessible MB minisuite on the Dolphin deck. 

Since our family member is wheelchair bound and cannot walk, this was not acceptable and the reason the original booking was marked no upgrade.  We called Princess and were told that "it looks like the original cabin was being used as part of an isolation block".  We were moved to another cabin but I am still trying to determine if that cabin is acceptable (email pending with access dept.)

I note that our upgrade notice had no wording that it was done due to CDC guidelines.  Indeed, there was no explanation at all--it appeared to be a routine upgrade.  This disturbs me as I am really unsure whether our cabin really is going to be used for isolation or is being used as a replacement cabin for someone in a Aloha deck wheelchair accessible cabin or otherwise just wanted our cabin.

Several others have stated in other threads that their "upgrade/move notices" from decks that many CC members have confirmed to be Quarantine decks had the reference to CDC.  Is this teue for the others here who have been moved from those identified quarantine decks?

I also question whether Alabaster Cruiser's move from Plaza to Rivera was really due to Plaza being used for quarantine or they were just told that.  CDC guidelines require isolation cabins to have a balcony due to requirements for fresh air, and the last time we cruised on Emerald, there were no balcony cabins on Plaza (and not that I could see on the deck plans).

Edited by montgomeryfamily
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

Maybe this is a silly question but how and who knows that you need to go into quarantine? Is it via testing when you re-enter the ship after a port visit? 

Not a silly question at all. But I wasn't tested when returning to the ship

19 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

Maybe this is a silly question but how and who knows that you need to go into quarantine? Is it via testing when you re-enter the ship after a port visit? 

Honest passengers who start having symptoms would report it and get tested.You would hope that would be the case. On Hawaii bound cruises, passengers get tested again before the ship arrives in Hawaii.

• Like 1

Please define 'quarantine rooms'. I would have thought that IF you or your cabin mate tested positive you would 'quarantine' in your booked room. This thread implies they have specific rooms used for quarantine...so you are moved?

On our cruise on the CB in late January, we met a B2Ber.  He told us that the cabins are primarily for the crew.  Specifically, when new members arrive on ship they must quarantine (I think he said 12 days).

So, that doesn't directly answer your question, but there is more than one reason they have quarantine cabins.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, montgomeryfamily said:

I also question whether Alabaster Cruiser's move from Plaza to Rivera was really due to Plaza being used for quarantine or they were just told that.  CDC guidelines require isolation cabins to have a balcony due to requirements for fresh air, and the last time we cruised on Emerald, there were no balcony cabins on Plaza (and not that I could see on the deck plans).

I don't know anything about CDC guidelines for quarantine cabins but I DO know that someone on the Celebrity boards was quarantined in an inside cabin. She had claustrophobia and her spouse had to argue with the powers that be on her ship to even get her moved to a window cabin.

I was following that thread closely because we sailed in January and I was terrified that I would get quarantined in an inside cabin if I got Covid. (The cruise was great and no one in our family group got sick!)

Edited by chamima

15 hours ago, montgomeryfamily said:

In December we were moved from our Grand Princess wheelchair accessible balcony cabin on the Caribe deck to a non-accessible MB minisuite on the Dolphin deck. 

Since our family member is wheelchair bound and cannot walk, this was not acceptable and the reason the original booking was marked no upgrade.  We called Princess and were told that "it looks like the original cabin was being used as part of an isolation block".  We were moved to another cabin but I am still trying to determine if that cabin is acceptable (email pending with access dept.)

I note that our upgrade notice had no wording that it was done due to CDC guidelines.  Indeed, there was no explanation at all--it appeared to be a routine upgrade.  This disturbs me as I am really unsure whether our cabin really is going to be used for isolation or is being used as a replacement cabin for someone in a Aloha deck wheelchair accessible cabin or otherwise just wanted our cabin.

Several others have stated in other threads that their "upgrade/move notices" from decks that many CC members have confirmed to be Quarantine decks had the reference to CDC.  Is this teue for the others here who have been moved from those identified quarantine decks?

We and our traveling buddies were moved and this was in NO WAY called an upgrade. We were move per CDC guidelines. The moves was horrible, definitely downgrades. We will most likely cancel due to the issues in Ukraine right now and St.Petersburg probably deleted as a port.

Was just informed by Princess that our cabin on late May departure Discovery was changed ("upgraded") from Dolphin aft balcony to Caribe midship balcony due to quarantine area. So they are still doing that even for late May departures. 

We lost our large balcony D701 to a normal balcony. 😑

7 hours ago, Gatorzzzz said:

On our cruise on the CB in late January, we met a B2Ber.  He told us that the cabins are primarily for the crew.  Specifically, when new members arrive on ship they must quarantine (I think he said 12 days).

So, that doesn't directly answer your question, but there is more than one reason they have quarantine cabins.

And, as our wait staff explained, new crew each have their own balcony cabin for the duration of the quarantine.  They had nothing but good things to say about that!  Cabins fill up quickly that way.

22 hours ago, montgomeryfamily said:

Did you check the deck plan to see if the cabin is wheel chair accessible?

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/#deckplans

52 minutes ago, capriccio said:

And, as our wait staff explained, new crew each have their own balcony cabin for the duration of the quarantine.  They had nothing but good things to say about that!  Cabins fill up quickly that way.

Chamima, I have read on several threads that Balcony/fresh air access is a requirement by CDC for quarantine.  It certainly appears that Princess  is implementing this approach.

It would be cheaper for Princess to use Inside/Oceanview cabins, especially in areas which could be closed off.  But instead they are consistently using balcony cabins.  What I don't understand is their choosing the more expensive deluxe and premium balcony cabins and minisuites/suites for isolation cabins.

Princess taking Alabaster cruiser's stateroom and moving them to the Rivera deck is inconsistent with their providing balcony cabins for use as isolation cabins.  I wonder if Alabaster Cruiser's notice said that the move was per CDC guidelines?

Edited by montgomeryfamily

11 minutes ago, montgomeryfamily said:

It would be cheaper for Princess to use Inside/Oceanview cabins, especially in areas which could be closed off.  But instead they are consistently using balcony cabins.  What I don't understand is their choosing the more expensive deluxe and premium balcony cabins and minisuites/suites for isolation cabins.

If I'm on a ship and can leave my room, then I can find outside space. But I remember those pics of ppl stuck in inside rooms & only permitted outside for an hour a day. If I'm sequestered I want plenty of room and the ability to go outside whenever I want. Hence premium balcony or better

Thats also why I want to know where to not book. Yes it might change but this way I have a chance

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1