Formal Nights on Transatlantics

Ombud

How dressy are formal nights on Transatlantics? On the Alaska & Caribbean cruises it was pants & a dressy top. My assumption is that it will be the same on the Pacific Northwest Cruise in April. Are the Transatlantics the same?

Which works just fine.  I'm usually dressier than some, not as formal as others.  I generally don't care what people wear but being overly casual as some sort of statement is amusing to me.  I travel with one big suitcase (20-30 days), sparkly, sequin tops and silky palazzo pants for formal nights.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Pre-pandemic it was 90% in tie & jackets, suits or better for men.

Post pandemic ????

" Post pandemic ???? "    😏  tried to fit into my suit jackets and the darn things shrunk during covid pandemic. 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Then it is different.  I have not seen near 90% on Princess cruises in recent years.

We've taken 8 transatlantics, and the dress on formal night does tend to be more formal than other cruises.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, c-boy said:

" Post pandemic ???? "    😏  tried to fit into my suit jackets and the darn things shrunk during covid pandemic. 

The last time my DH wore his suit was November of 2019. Between the Covid pandemic and his retirement, I am wondering the same thing. He's going to need to try it on before we leave next month, lol. 

BTW, his last cruise was a TA, and I do think passengers dress up a little more. I don't think the OP will be out place, just an FYI for those that might want to bring fancier duds. I attached a couple of photos from our cruise. 

IMG_6338.JPG

IMG_6341.JPG

• Like 4

Here’s the Princess guidance we’ve gone by in the past (highlighted in bold letters below), as I really dislike bringing a coat on a cruise. This can be found in the Packing For Your Cruise section found at the below link and subsequently click on the “Learn more on what to pack for a cruise” link.

For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse. 

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

3 hours ago, 1965 said:

Same here. I've never seen 90%. Been with Princess since 2006.

Same here and we have probably done at least 10 TA's and I would agree it is a more casual crowd.  Lots of people jumping on board for the repositioning prices.  I have never seen anything close to 90% either.

• Like 2

Nope, I haven't either, closer to half, maybe.  Have to laugh at Princess putting evening dress or a skirt/good blouse.  Like that's really going to happen these days.  Even in the 80s and 90s, women didn't all wear dresses/skirts.  It was dressier but still many did not.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, 1965 said:

Same here. I've never seen 90%. Been with Princess since 2006.

Our last cruise before the pandemic was a 14 night to Norway and Iceland and it was probably close to 90% in at least coats and ties. Last month in the Caribbean it was less than half. In my experience, Caribbean cruises always tend to be more casual 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

Our last cruise before the pandemic was a 14 night to Norway and Iceland and it was probably close to 90% in at least coats and ties. Last month in the Caribbean it was less than half. In my experience, Caribbean cruises always tend to be more casual 

I'm not certain about those percentages but the Caribbean has always been more casual. 

13 hours ago, susancruzs said:

Nope, I haven't either, closer to half, maybe.  Have to laugh at Princess putting evening dress or a skirt/good blouse.  Like that's really going to happen these days.  Even in the 80s and 90s, women didn't all wear dresses/skirts.  It was dressier but still many did not.

I haven't owned a skirt or dress for several yrs. 😊

• Like 2

We are going on our first Princess cruise next month and it is a TA.

We've been on two other TA's (Holland America) in the past 2 years (2019 & 10/2021)

I will be dining in the MDR & wearing my usual khaki long pants and a long sleeved collared shirt.  No tie. No coat.  And no mask! (Yippee!).  I hope Princess will let me in the MDR (no matter what the dining room theme is for the night). 

LOL.  Smooth sailing to all..............

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Torfamm said:

You actually take note of all passengers attending dinner in all dining rooms at all times on formal night and then make a statistical calculation......wow.....your cruising sounds really tedious and fun?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

You actually take note of all passengers attending dinner in all dining rooms at all times on formal night and then make a statistical calculation......wow.....your cruising sounds really tedious and fun?

Nope, I do sit in the bar and people watch though 😎

• Like 4