Cocktails That Will Keep Me Awake!!

dman1

Okay, my whole life I've been an "early bird"...waking up at the crack of dawn.  Problem is once the sun goes down in the evening I fade quickly.  I want to be able to stay awake in the evenings without being a "party pooper".  Any recommendations on cocktails/drinks that will give me a little boost as the night goes on??

Also, Fleischmann's active yeast contains the yeast strain Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which contains the ADH enzyme that digests ethanol.  Mix some of the dry power in yogurt before drinking and watch how you don't get as drunk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BND said:

LOL   That's not how cocktails work.  Pretty sure even caffeine doesn't override that.

Yea, that's how I generally react.  Alcohol puts me to sleep more than caffeine wakes me up.  If you really want to stay up, I would avoid drinking much at all.

The other thing you can do is the events that happen early in the evening.  Waking up early on a ship can be pretty magical.  And you are already set up to do that.

• Like 2

Two shots of espresso over ice and a shot of Jamesons. I get one every day around 4 pm and I'm good for the night. You can put milk in it if you're not a fan of strong/bitter coffee, so basically it's like an iced irish coffee.

• Like 3

On 2/21/2022 at 8:47 AM, BND said:

LOL   That's not how cocktails work.  Pretty sure even caffeine doesn't override that.

Uuuh, maybe.  😄

Years ago two couples went to a fancy hotel for a drink after dinner.  The bar was packed, but a waitress wandering by told us there was a bar in the dining room that was quieter and yes, we could sit there.

So we did.  When the bartender asked what we wanted, we asked what his specialty was.  And he said Irish Coffee.  OK, we can do that.  So he made them and they were GREAT.  Now, we at a bar where the bartender does not typically have people sitting at the bar and most bartenders like talking to people.

So he says, let me tell you why they are so good.  And he says, I don't use the well Irish whiskey, I use the good stuff.  Let me show you.  So he grabs 8 shot glasses and pours each of us a FULL SHOT of the well whiskey and the good stuff.  So we try them, and yes the good stuff is better.

At that point were about done with our Irish Coffees and he says, Oh, you need a refill, on me.  And makes another round.  But with less coffee. 😄

And then he says, and I add coffee liquor, but not the well stuff, the good stuff.  And out comes 8 more shot glasses......

Then he tells us that he adds some brandy, not the well stuff ............

And then he makes us a final round, on him, before we leave. 

I got home and was laying in the bed, eyes wide open trying to make it stop spinning.

So no, the coffee doesn't over power the liquor, but neither does the liquor overpower the coffee. 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I too am an "early bird" and married a "night owl".  On cruises, my DH does make an effort to get up earlier, although not as early as I do.  I always have a light "first" breakfast and then another when he gets up. 

We have made it a delightful cruise tradition of taking an afternoon nap.  That way, he can catch up on his missed morning sleep and I can stay awake past 10:00 PM!  

• Like 6

On 2/21/2022 at 8:40 AM, jahannah said:

Also, Fleischmann's active yeast contains the yeast strain Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which contains the ADH enzyme that digests ethanol.  Mix some of the dry power in yogurt before drinking and watch how you don't get as drunk.

I never heard this. I looked it up and it says prevents hangover. Does anyone know if it prevents getting drunk? I want to get my moneys worth with my drink package… lol

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mickey527 said:

I never heard this. I looked it up and it says prevents hangover. Does anyone know if it prevents getting drunk? I want to get my moneys worth with my drink package… lol

Never tried it, but some of the "experts" suggested that the availability of the yeast's ADH in an acid-rich (2 pH) stomach, where most alcohol is absorbed,  would not work effectively (works best at 8.6 pH).  Try it and let us know!

I used to make my DH stay up late on cruises, but he's a morning person while I'm not.  But, as we've gotten older (60+ now) I'm not too obsessed with staying out late.  DH usually falls asleep in the shows. Our last cruise on HOTS last Nov/Dec we were in bed by 11 almost every night and I was good with that.  Eating a lot  can make you sleepier too.

As for Red Bull, blech.  

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 7:29 AM, dman1 said:

Okay, my whole life I've been an "early bird"...waking up at the crack of dawn.  Problem is once the sun goes down in the evening I fade quickly.  I want to be able to stay awake in the evenings without being a "party pooper".  Any recommendations on cocktails/drinks that will give me a little boost as the night goes on??

Vodka Red Bull 🙂

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, flamingos said:

You could just try an afternoon nap.....  🙂

That's my go to. Enjoy the boat or port most the day, go back to the room about 2 hours before dinner and take a solid nap. Go to dinner and I'm good for whatever the night brings. 

• Like 2

On 2/21/2022 at 5:35 AM, Belgian fry said:

Espresso martini?

OMG, that drink is sooooooooo goooooood!!!  And, I don't drink coffee.  My son got me one at Christmas lunch, and I was enthralled with that drink.  Thanks for reminding me.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 8:47 AM, BND said:

Well you'll be a wide awake drunk.   Especially after a few Vodka Red Bulls (which BTW the cans say "DO NOT MIX WITH ALCOHL" LOL..

24 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Well you'll be a wide awake drunk.   Especially after a few Vodka Red Bulls (which BTW the cans say "DO NOT MIX WITH ALCOHL" LOL..

🤔

Looking at a can now, nowhere does it say do not mix with alcohol. Care to share where I should be looking.