NZ re-opening sooner than advertised and dropping self-isolation on arrival.

lissie

I'm booked in December on Viking Orion.  SYD-AKL.  Feeling 50:50 on whether it's going to go.  If it does go I'll be looking carefully at the rules around excursions etc.    It the govt do match the rules around air travel it will be go in October for vaccinated travellers.  Then there is the detail - does fully vaccinated mean two shots, or a booster in the last six months or something else?  Which vaccines are acceptable and which are not?

20 hours ago, Johhno said:

Booked on the 4th Nov Grand Princess but not holding my breath.

Son and I are on that one also.  Moved over from 5th Nov last year.  Got fingers crossed and toes.  It is heavily booked with only a few insides and obstructed ov's left.

12 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I'm booked in December on Viking Orion.  SYD-AKL.  Feeling 50:50 on whether it's going to go.  If it does go I'll be looking carefully at the rules around excursions etc.    It the govt do match the rules around air travel it will be go in October for vaccinated travellers.  Then there is the detail - does fully vaccinated mean two shots, or a booster in the last six months or something else?  Which vaccines are acceptable and which are not?

All the cruise lines accept just about all the vaccines that are out there.

If you had the Pfizer vaccine, then you will be set to go.

All the cruise lines overseas are saying fully vaccinated mean two shots or in some cases just the one spot depending on the vaccine.

17 hours ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

All the cruise lines accept just about all the vaccines that are out there.

If you had the Pfizer vaccine, then you will be set to go.

All the cruise lines overseas are saying fully vaccinated mean two shots or in some cases just the one spot depending on the vaccine.

void

Edited by arxcards
quoted wrong post

On 4/9/2022 at 11:33 AM, onlyslightlymad said:

This is a link to the approved vaccines and status for entry into NZ, and the list is long. At this stage there is no requirement for boosters or any expiry date for your 2nd jab,

https://covid19.govt.nz/international-travel/travel-to-new-zealand/vaccination-requirements-for-travel-to-new-zealand/

On 4/9/2022 at 11:33 AM, onlyslightlymad said:

Then there is the detail - does fully vaccinated mean two shots, or a booster in the last six months or something else?

For me it doesn't matter, I intend to be vaccinated to the max. Whatever they want me to have, I'll have.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

For me it doesn't matter, I intend to be vaccinated to the max. Whatever they want me to have, I'll have.

Us too. We have had to delay our second booster because we are just now recovering from COVID. Not severe. 🙂

We are booked on a cruise to NZ in February. I feel it is likely cruise ships will be allowed into NZ when the summer cruising season starts. The NZ govt might be waiting to see if the start of cruising in Aust goes off without any major problems.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 5:44 PM, LittleFish1976 said:

And I'm heading over on the QE in Feb next year. Going the scenic route via the South Island and fiords and then hopping off in Auckland to spend time with family.

We're booked Auckland to Sydney in late January on Majestic Princess but if NZ is only allowing ship excursions to go ashore we'll be cancelling as the reason we cruise NZ is to catch up with family and friends at the various ports.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're booked Auckland to Sydney in late January on Majestic Princess but if NZ is only allowing ship excursions to go ashore we'll be cancelling as the reason we cruise NZ is to catch up with family and friends at the various ports.

It will probably depend on what restrictions the NZ government imposes. One hurdle to overcome is the memory that COVID was possibly passed to a few people in Napier from pax on the Ruby Princess.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's perfectly understandable - it's hard to predict what the rules might be in NZ for leaving the ship. For me it's not an issue - I would just be a tourist in all the stops bar Auckland so I don't mind not getting off independently - happy to do ship's tours. I'm really just using it as a lovely way to get across the ditch as I had some credits with Cunard that needed using in a certain time frame and I'm not ready for 'proper' overseas travel yet and may never be again (although I admire those who are happy to take a chance on the covid and hospital situations in Europe, UK and US).

Perhaps the NZ govt will let passengers go ashore independently if they take a RAT before disembarking for the day?

59 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

It will probably depend on what restrictions the NZ government imposes. One hurdle to overcome is the memory that COVID was possibly passed to a few people in Napier from pax on the Ruby Princess.

Yes, I realize that but it would be a waste of money to do an NZ cruise if I can't get off the ship. I certainly don't need to do any excursions since I lived there for about 45 years. And Majestic is not one of my favourite ships!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, I realize that but it would be a waste of money to do an NZ cruise if I can't get off the ship. I certainly don't need to do any excursions since I lived there for about 45 years. And Majestic is not one of my favourite ships!

I totally understand your point and view and would feel the same in your situation. We have booked the cruise for the 14 days on the ship. We have cruised to NZ many times and I am sure my husband won't get off in any of the ports. I will unless there is the requirement to go on a ship's tour. If that is the case, I will say on board.

People have different reasons for cruising, some for the journey, some for the destination, none should be condemned for being different  to what someone thinks is best.

Personally as much as I love sea days, I would never cruise and not go ashore at any of the ports.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I totally understand your point and view and would feel the same in your situation. We have booked the cruise for the 14 days on the ship. We have cruised to NZ many times and I am sure my husband won't get off in any of the ports. I will unless there is the requirement to go on a ship's tour. If that is the case, I will say on board.

Some of the ports are gorgeous even if you don't get off the ship. We did our last three NZ cruises on Celebrity Solstice which has a great forward facing lounge. We always went there when leaving the ports. Tauranga and Dunedin are interesting as the channels are quite limited. And, of course, going though Fiordland is always special.

15 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

People have different reasons for cruising, some for the journey, some for the destination, none should be condemned for being different  to what someone thinks is best.

Personally as much as I love sea days, I would never cruise and not go ashore at any of the ports.

We cruise for three different reasons:

1. Just being on the ship so not going ashore on some cruises isn't a big deal for us.

2. To explore new ports. Going ashore is essential but we'd be happy doing excursions.

3. To catch up with folk, mostly NZ but also Melbourne, and being able to do our own thing ashore is a requirement.

Seatrade say

While Wednesday's move to New Zealand to the Orange traffic light setting will be a welcome relief for many industries across New Zealand, the complete lack of announcement around the Maritime Border reopening is an ongoing huge concern for Cruise.
NZCA CEO Kevin O'Sullivan will represent New Zealand on a panel at the international Seatrade conference in Miami later this month and says "it will be embarrassing for me and NZ if our government has still not set a date to reopen the maritime border"

20 minutes ago, springaussie said:
Seatrade say

While Wednesday's move to New Zealand to the Orange traffic light setting will be a welcome relief for many industries across New Zealand, the complete lack of announcement around the Maritime Border reopening is an ongoing huge concern for Cruise.
NZCA CEO Kevin O'Sullivan will represent New Zealand on a panel at the international Seatrade conference in Miami later this month and says "it will be embarrassing for me and NZ if our government has still not set a date to reopen the maritime border"

I thought I heard their ocean boarders will be open in October?

But the kiwis love to be different.

8 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I thought I heard their ocean boarders will be open in October?

But the kiwis love to be different.

No, there's been no date given for the maritime borders to open.  October is when we are fully open for travel by air.  There have been allusions to the maritime borders but it's been very vague.

Most of the articles in the media have been press releases from the cruise lobbyists.  

Edited by onlyslightlymad
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

No, there's been no date given for the maritime borders to open.  October is when we are fully open for travel by air.  There have been allusions to the maritime borders but it's been very vague.

Most of the articles in the media have been press releases from the cruise lobbyists.  

I think your Jacinta is nervous re opening up your ports. Can't blame her I suppose.