Does the war between Ukraine & Russia effect your travel plans?

3red7s

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The most likely scenario, Russia will "steal" some of the Ukraine's territory again.  The question becomes, if Russia gains territory, do you want to give them your $$$ by cruising there?

My concern would be cruising to Turkey mostly....

7 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Next up for us is not until August 2023- a Rhine River cruise from Amsterdam to Basel. 18 months away and I have worries as to what the world will be like then. 

Praying that the reported "peace" talks planned for today between Ukraine and Russia bring an end to this invasion which has us on the precipice of World War III!

I think we all are praying.....very hard.

• Like 2

Of course, I am concerned for Ukrainians, Ukrainians crew members and their families, and to a degree, for men enrolled in this war and placed in a position having to kill each other. I pray for these people.

Furthermore, having been bit by a tiny virus identified in Wuhan in December 2019, resulting in turning world lives upside down for the following two years, I am twice shy.

With this war, I feel like I would be feeling during an earthquake. As it is ongoing, I don't know yet the magnitude of the quake!

Of course, at this point it's only Russia, Belarus and Ukraine and it's already bad enough and sad enough. But will it be resolved there or Will it expand in Europe? will it involve other countries that share a different vision of the world, such as China, North-Korea, Iran, etc.

Adding do this turmoil, is the domestic challenge faced by democraties such as the USA and Canada when it comes to the extreme right and conspiracy theories.

In my opinion, our world is now more fragile than it was, and this is a concern for me, especially when I consider my children and my grandchild.

Recently retired, my hope was to take the time to explore the world and its varied cultures.

I am still hoping, to be able to cruise this June on Silhouette, from the U.K. to Iceland. I am keeping my fingers crossed. When it comes to our Baltic August Cruise on NCL, St-Petersburg removed, I am not sure yet what to think.

In short, recent events make me feel more nervous I think. 

• Like 4

My concern is more ethical. Norwegian, Viking, and Atlas Ocean have pulled all Russian ports from itineraries (and therefore the money to Russia) in response. I've not considered Norwegian really, but honestly the fact that they are making a statement while RCCL and Celebrity do nothing but keep going there (at this point) is making me seriously consider just eating my non-refundable deposit on Celebrity and putting the rest of my cruising money with another company.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2022 at 4:20 PM, SWFL Cruisers said:

Not unless they invade the Caribbean.

Pirates of the caribbean GIF - Find on GIFER

You might want to think twice before making such an insulting comment for a dire situation!!

Edited by Loracpin2
verbage
  • Like 4

Two years ago today, we embarked on Eclipse in Buenos Aires, looking forward to 37 wonderful days of cruising home to Vancouver.  Little did we know what problems we were to face on the cruise and in the next 2 years.

The pictures in our paper this AM are heartbreaking.  Couples tearfully saying goodbye at the train station. where she gets on the train and he goes back to Kyiv to fight for his country,  Yes, they need our prayers for courage to get through this awful injustice and greed.

We are booked for Norway in July and hope it goes ahead and that it is safe to go.  Previously, all we thought we had to worry about was Omicron.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Perhaps RCCL is clinging to the slight hope that there will be a retreat by Russia?

Russia has already "stolen" territory twice in somewhat recent times and still occupies them, that hasn't stopped cruise ships from stopping there...

In 2008 Russia invaded and currently occupies Abkhazia and South Ossetia from Georgia

In 2014 Russia invaded and currently occupies Crimea from the Ukraine 

On 2/28/2022 at 2:34 AM, lovrccl said:

However I am glad we don't go abroad until next year.

But that’s what you said in 2020 about 2021...

And again in 2021 about 2022! 😉

21 hours ago, SWFL Cruisers said:

I am pretty sure RCL & CCL will follow suit and do the same. I don't think anyone want to go there now.

Hi

Celebrity removed St Petersburg from its Baltic itineraries last night.

It has replaced the stop with stops in Visby and overnights in Copenhagen.

Some itineraries now include Riga.

BC489D64-C5C6-49D5-AECE-435ABA3505CD.thumb.jpeg.423baa829fa12087d199d7f28b1eee86.jpeg

• Like 5

On 2/28/2022 at 9:54 AM, TeeRick said:

Most cruises from Europe stop on the Mediterranean coast of Turkey or sometimes as far as in Istanbul.  I don't think in the other Black Sea ports. 

The 3rd leg of our B3B in September (Windstar) is round trip Istanbul with all cruise stops in Black Sea Ports, including Sochi and Odessa.  Obviously, they will not be stopping there and the exact itinerary is in flux.  Pre-invasion, I had already decided not to get off the ship in Sochi since I will not support Putin's war machine.  I will not be cancelling just accepting whatever alternatives are offered.   

Background on my perspective.  I have relatives in Slovakia and the Baltic countries who well remember life under 50 years of Russian domination.  They have good reason to be fearful.  Therefore my "prayers" are for Putin to withdraw back to Russia not for some generalized "peace" like Chamberlin's "peace in our time" in 1939.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, BklynBorn47 said:

Background on my perspective.  I have relatives in Slovakia and the Baltic countries who well remember life under 50 years of Russian domination.  They have good reason to be fearful.  Therefore my "prayers" are for Putin to withdraw back to Russia not for some generalized "peace" like Chamberlin's "peace in our time" in 1939.  

Agree with your prayer petition and I add one of own: 

May those in Russia who have positions of power, e.g., generals, the prime minister, the parliament, etc have the courage to stand up to Putin and retreat from Ukraine.

QnsBorn46 and DGD of Ukrainian Immigrants

Edited by TMLAalum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, BklynBorn47 said:

The 3rd leg of our B3B in September (Windstar) is round trip Istanbul with all cruise stops in Black Sea Ports, including Sochi and Odessa.  Obviously, they will not be stopping there and the exact itinerary is in flux.  Pre-invasion, I had already decided not to get off the ship in Sochi since I will not support Putin's war machine.  I will not be cancelling just accepting whatever alternatives are offered.   

My DW has relatives in Lithuania.  Also fearful.  Did you see the recent Netflix movie about the 1938 Neville Chamberlain and Hitler agreement?

On 2/28/2022 at 4:34 PM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

My concern is more ethical. Norwegian, Viking, and Atlas Ocean have pulled all Russian ports from itineraries (and therefore the money to Russia) in response. I've not considered Norwegian really, but honestly the fact that they are making a statement while RCCL and Celebrity do nothing but keep going there (at this point) is making me seriously consider just eating my non-refundable deposit on Celebrity and putting the rest of my cruising money with another company.

Don't be absurd. They aren't still going there. They just haven't announced what is being done as far as alternatives yet. Now, whether that is wise communications is an entirely different matter.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

My DW has relatives in Lithuania.  Also fearful.  Did you see the recent Netflix movie about the 1938 Neville Chamberlain and Hitler agreement?

I have watched most WWII documentaries on Netflix and other sources, but I don't recall that title.  Perhaps part of "The Deadliest Hour?" 
One goal of all our travels is to visit the sites my Dad wrote about in his WWII diary and recreate his photos.  I have also travelled extensively in Eastern Europe and the Baltic including university courses in "Language and Culture" in Slovakia and Lithuania (twice each).  
Thousands of citizens sent to Siberia and replaced with ethnic Russians who became the upper class.  That's one reason for the excuse that "Russians live there" that Putin could apply far beyond Ukraine.

Note that I only included my perspective as part of this thread to explain why I will not visit Russian ports.  

14 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Don't be absurd. They aren't still going there. They just haven't announced what is being done as far as alternatives yet. Now, whether that is wise communications is an entirely different matter.

In post 38 above Celebrity has announced the alternative to St Petersburg stops, it now looks like a good cruise itinerary. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BklynBorn47 said:

I have watched most WWII documentaries on Netflix and other sources, but I don't recall that title.  Perhaps part of "The Deadliest Hour?" 
One goal of all our travels is to visit the sites my Dad wrote about in his WWII diary and recreate his photos.  I have also travelled extensively in Eastern Europe and the Baltic including university courses in "Language and Culture" in Slovakia and Lithuania (twice each).  
Thousands of citizens sent to Siberia and replaced with ethnic Russians who became the upper class.  That's one reason for the excuse that "Russians live there" that Putin could apply far beyond Ukraine.

Note that I only included my perspective as part of this thread to explain why I will not visit Russian ports.  

It is from late 2021 and is called Munich - The Edge Of War.  Stars Jeremy Irons as Neville Chamberlain.

From the Cruise Critic News today.  RCG cancels Russia itineraries for all of its cruise lines.

Royal Caribbean Group, which includes Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Silversea, also confirmed its brands would not be stopping at Russian ports:

"With the recent events, we have made the decision to cancel our visits to St. Petersburg, Russia on all Summer 2022 itineraries," a statement read.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gerelmx said:

Will X  remove the Russian Vodka from the bars?

Hi

Thats not many then.
Russian Standard maybe or Stoli,,,,Smirnoff not really Russian anymore.
I can live with….
Grey Goose…French.
Belvedere….Polish.
Finlandia…Finland.
Absolut….Sweden.
Tito’s….USA.
Vladivar…UK,,,urgh!

Ketel One…..Netherlands.

Ciroc…..France.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

Thats not many then.
Russian Standard maybe or Stoli,,,,Smirnoff not really Russian anymore.
I can live with….
Grey Goose…French.
Belvedere….Polish.
Finlandia…Finland.
Absolut….Sweden.
Tito’s….USA.
Vladivar…UK,,,urgh!

Ketel One…..Netherlands.

Ciroc…..France.

We prefer Tito's distilled 90 miles up the road from us in Austin, Texas. The problem with discarding any Russian Vodka already on the ship is the money for them was paid to Russia a long time ago and only hurts Celebrity financially. The better question is will Celebrity continue to buy any more Russian made vodka?

Edited by terrydtx