Is the 'bump' coming to Carnival ? How will YOU feel about joining it ?

SmoothFlying

With NCL raising the daily tipping rate .50 cent an hour, do you think CCL will follow suit and raise it's daily rate or let 'sleeping dogs lie'  in case the raise in fuel surcharge may be around the corner. Granted, it's NOT a big increase, and after all the crew does, to make sure the passengers have a great cruise, it is food for thought. What do you think ?

Mac

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SmoothFlying said:

With NCL raising the daily tipping rate .50 cent an hour, do you think CCL will follow suit and raise it's daily rate or let 'sleeping dogs lie'  in case the raise in fuel surcharge may be around the corner. Granted, it's NOT a big increase, and after all the crew does, to make sure the passengers have a great cruise, it is food for thought. What do you think ?

Mac

If they do, they do. It's barely $5.00 a cruise! Not a deal breaker!

Karen

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, SmoothFlying said:

Mac

I think you meant 50 cents a day. 50 cents an hour would really, really add up, especially on a longer cruise.

• Like 5

Rcl is already more than carnival. Idk what ncl was but I'd be surprised if it was the exact same amount. Each line is different.

I'm pretty sure rcl is 14.50 up thru JS, suites are 16.50, $2 more. The way posts here read they think if another line ncl goes up 50 cents then carnival should. What is ncl rate now?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I think you meant 50 cents a day. 50 cents an hour would really, really add up, especially on a longer cruise.

Yes, you're right, I wasn't clear I meant .50 cents a day, not an hour, which will bring Carnival's daily total to ( I think) $15.00 a day per passenger. but it may be more.

Mac

It will just make more people remove gratuities IMO. I saw a video by the Lido Loca guy about removing gratuities and was surprised by the large amount of people in the comments who say they remove them and feel they are too expensive already, on top of 18% for pretty much everything else. That was a two year old video when things were rocking and there wasn't as much price pressure on the basics in life. It's irritating to think a bunch of folks are paying a lot less by removing tips, pretty much a $100 PP savings if they remove them on seven day. For a family of five that's nearly $500. Some even mention waiting until you eat your final meal in the MDR and check your bags and other tips to evade poor service as a result of removing them. The system is clearly broken IMO. I thought the consensus here on CC was more universal than it was. That apparently, isn't the case at all. People are much more hostile to the system as it is.   

I think something will eventually give and they will find a way to have them included. It''s obvious by the huge lines at guest services that people don't like them and more and more are removing them. Not sure what the answer is but this whole system seems to be a mixed bag of those who pay, those who don't and those who reduce them much lower. Raising prices will only effect those who pay and not the other two groups. It will also convert some in the former group, into the latter two groups. I'm not sure what the answer is to be honest. It's a quagmire to be sure.    

Edited by cruisingguy007

4 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

It will just make more people remove gratuities IMO. I saw a video by the Lido Loca guy about removing gratuities and was surprised by the large amount of people in the comments who say they remove them and feel they are too expensive already, on top of 18% for pretty much everything else. That was a two year old video when things were rocking and there wasn't as much price pressure on the basics in life. It's irritating to think a bunch of folks are paying a lot less by removing tips, pretty much a $100 PP savings if they remove them on seven day. For a family of five that's nearly $500. Some even mention waiting until you eat your final meal in the MDR and check your bags and other tips to evade poor service as a result of removing them. The system is clearly broken IMO. I thought the consensus here on CC was more universal than it was. That apparently, isn't the case at all. People are much more hostile to system as it is.   

I think something will eventually give and they will find a way to have them included. It''s obvious by the huge lines at guest services that people don't like them and more and more are removing them. Not sure what the answer is but this whole system seems to be a mixed bag of those who pay, those who don't and those who reduce them much lower. Raising prices will only effect those who pay and not the other two groups. It will also convert some in the former group, into the latter two groups.   

I just wish they would call is a service fee and make it mandatory. Just wrap it into the port fees and call it a day. If anyone feels the need to tip extra they will still have that option.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jasong38501 said:

I just wish they would call is a service fee and make it mandatory. Just wrap it into the port fees and call it a day. If anyone feels the need to tip extra they will still have that option.

I'd imagine they could probably even charge a bit less PP if everyone actually paid their portion and opting out wasn't an option. The complete removers and large portion removers are being carried by the full freight payers. Those folks will become increasingly resentful as prices increase to further subsidize those paying little to none. It's a mess.   

• Like 3

I don't think the cruise lines are in lockstep on any charges.

We always do prepaid gratuities and consider them part of the ticket price. If the price goes up it goes up. If the overall deal is worth it we sail. If not we don't. The idea that the gratuities are actually gratuities is belied by the fact they charge you - you don't offer. It is just Carnival having you pay part of the employee wages. They might just as well itemize your share of the cost of bathroom soap, linen service, etc. and charge you for those things also.

8 minutes ago, jasong38501 said:

I have to disagree. And that is only because if they did that then in a year or two they would come back and tell us "our poor hard working crew do so much for you we think it only right we ask you express your appreciation by paying a recommended gratuity which will be automatically charged to your sail and sign card." Don't give them another chance to lay the virtue signaling con on us again.

8 minutes ago, icft said:

We always do prepaid gratuities and consider them part of the ticket price. If the price goes up it goes up. If the overall deal is worth it we sail. If not we don't. The idea that the gratuities are actually gratuities is belied by the fact they charge you - you don't offer. It is just Carnival having you pay part of the employee wages. They might just as well itemize your share of the cost of bathroom soap, linen service, etc. and charge you for those things also.

As a customer you are paying for all of the employee wages... and all the other things you mentioned. The only difference is currently some of us are paying a higher percentage of that because we don't remove our gratuities. But at the end of the day, every expense that a company has on the ship is going to be paid for by the customer, so I am not sure what you are referring to as "Carnival having you pay part of the employee wage". The only difference is what it is called.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, icft said:

This seems to be a large part of the argument that many make who resent the forced gratuities. The huge executive compensation packages are another. 

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, jasong38501 said:

As a customer you are paying for all of the employee wages... and all the other things you mentioned. The only difference is currently some of us are paying a higher percentage of that because we don't remove our gratuities. But at the end of the day, every expense that a company has on the ship is going to be paid for by the customer, so I am not sure what you are referring to as "Carnival having you pay part of the employee wage". The only difference is what it is called.

Fair point, operational costs are a factor, without a doubt. 

7 minutes ago, jasong38501 said:

That was pretty much my point. These are not really gratuities but are just an itemization of one charge. In this case they are itemizing part of employee compensation. As I noted, we just consider it part of the ticket price.

But I disagree that every expense that a company has on the ship is going to be paid for by the customer. If that were the case no cruise company would ever go bankrupt. They charge what the market will bear and succeed or fail on whether or not that at least covers expenses. One way to convince passengers to fork over more money is to label part of the charge "gratuities."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, icft said:

That was pretty much my point. These are not really gratuities but are just an itemization of one charge. In this case they are itemizing part of employee compensation. As I noted, we just consider it part of the ticket price.

But I disagree that every expense that a company has on the ship is going to be paid for by the customer. If that were the case no cruise company would ever go bankrupt. They charge what the market will bear and succeed or fail on whether or not that at least covers expenses. One way to convince passengers to fork over more money is to label part of the charge "gratuities."

But it's not an itemization of just another charge when this one is able to be removed. I can't go down to guest services say "hey take $1.67 off my bill because I didn't use the soap in the shower tonight". 

13 minutes ago, jasong38501 said:

But it's not an itemization of just another charge when this one is able to be removed. I can't go down to guest services say "hey take $1.67 off my bill because I didn't use the soap in the shower tonight". 

Yes, this is different. It is part of the scheme that they contract to pay certain employees a set amount plus tips. The company is not out anything if you don't pay the "gratuities" like they would be if they itemized the cost of soap. The soap company is going to get its money, but if you don't pay the gratuities the employee is out of luck. To keep employees willing to take the deal they do everything they can to discourage not paying gratuities, like putting it on your sail and sign card if you don't prepay and having nice long lines to have it taken off. But in the end you are paying part of their employee compensation expense if you do pay gratuities and you don't get to pick who gets the money based on their service to you so it is not really a gratuity.

• Like 1

Walt Disney World had a program called Tables in Wonderland that you paid an annual fee for and you were able to get 20% off food  and alcohol at many restaurants but it included a mandatory 18% gratuity.  Why? Because when Disney has special offers that includes free dining or even allowed guests to pre-purchase a dining plan, the number of guests that tip ZERO is incredible.  Cheap people who figure the wait servers won't remember them have no shame in hosing them. Cheapos certainly aren't worried word is going to get around their hometown if they hose ship crew members.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, icft said:

I respectfully disagree.    The only way the cruise companies have money is by selling passage on their ships.  The cost of your tickets plus anything you buy while onboard is what keeps them in business.  It's true that the cruise companies do pay for some of their employee's wages but they get the money from passengers.  In the long run, without passengers footing the bill, they wouldn't last.   Cruise companies go bankrupt because of spending more than they take in.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, icft said:

But I disagree that every expense that a company has on the ship is going to be paid for by the customer. 

What they mean is: in any company all the revenue comes from customers. Of course there can be investment from non-customers but always with the intent that eventually customer $$ will lead to profitability or at least financial stability/break even point.

Where else would the revenue to pay expenses come from? Government subsidies?

• Like 2