Dancing on new ships is almost impossible

Kopy

We recently sailed on the Regal Princess and we’re very disappointed with the lack of dance venues. There is no floor in the Wheelhouse no explorers lounge, the floor in the Vista lounge was so sticky that my wife’s shoe actually broke off and people told us that we could dance in the piazza but they were playing violins there most of the time. We did end up every night in the Crooners lounge dancing on a tiny circular floor which was fun and the piano player was great. Needless to say we will not be sailing on any of the newer ships and if princess continues to cut out dance floors we will be forced to sail on other cruise lines. We are elite and have sailed  over 30 times on princess. Hopefully Princess will put dancing back on ships but I don’t see that happening in the near future 

On the Majestic 12/28- 1/8, the dancers had a ball every night dancing in the piazza.  The musicians were good. Crowded each night. There was one production show late in the cruise, so the nightly dancing in the piazza was our entertainment venue.

Edited by Rick&Jenny
Improvement
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kopy said:

We recently sailed on the Regal Princess and we’re very disappointed with the lack of dance venues. There is no floor in the Wheelhouse no explorers lounge, the floor in the Vista lounge was so sticky that my wife’s shoe actually broke off and people told us that we could dance in the piazza but they were playing violins there most of the time. We did end up every night in the Crooners lounge dancing on a tiny circular floor which was fun and the piano player was great. Needless to say we will not be sailing on any of the newer ships and if princess continues to cut out dance floors we will be forced to sail on other cruise lines. We are elite and have sailed  over 30 times on princess. Hopefully Princess will put dancing back on ships but I don’t see that happening in the near future 

I saw you dancing, two nights in a row. I really enjoyed it. Beautiful. 🙂

Just now, CineGraphic said:

Not sure why you chose to include this.

Is an elite's opinion somehow more important than the other passengers?

Didn't get that at all.    Sounds like they are just saying they have been on many Princess ships in the past that have had dance floors and hope they bring them back.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your observations.  We cruise to dance and value what others have experienced.  We are booked on Regal in October - first time on one of this style of Princess ships.  I have heard mixed reviews about the amount of dancing on Regal so our fingers are crossed that the floors and musicians will be a better fit for dancing by then.  So sorry you didn’t have the experience you hoped for.

2 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

I take it to mean someone who understands. All too often, I’ve found, leaving out internet credentials leads to meaningless advice. I’ve at least a dozen forum’s worth of experience to have that view.

• Like 2

Thanks for this post. We're considering booking an anniversary cruise on Grand Princess, and dancing will be important to us. Anyone have info on the availability of dance floors on Grand Princess?

On 3/9/2022 at 6:16 AM, skynight said:

Yes widely discussed as a negative back 10 years ago when the Royal was launched. The two newest ships, Enchanted & Discovery, have some improvement.

We usually only sail Royal Class ships and have for the last 10 years and it seems like there were always lots of dancers in the Piazza most nights on all the cruises we have been on.....sounds like a first world problem.

• Like 1

That's too bad. We have recently begun taking ballroom dance lessons and enjoy using our new skills on cruises. We were on Regal in January and  I agree the Vista Lounge dance floor wasn't good for dancing, although there were often quite a few dancers anyway. We rarely used the piazza, agree it wasn't really dance music. We did the most dancing in Club 6 later in the evening but of course that was a DJ and not ballroom dance. Hopefully Princess realizes this is an issue and makes some changes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

We usually only sail Royal Class ships and have for the last 10 years and it seems like there were always lots of dancers in the Piazza most nights on all the cruises we have been on.....sounds like a first world problem.

Aren't all cruise "problems" first world problems? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KellyCz said:

Thanks for this post. We're considering booking an anniversary cruise on Grand Princess, and dancing will be important to us. Anyone have info on the availability of dance floors on Grand Princess?

The Grand has proper wood dance floors in the Wheelhouse Bar, Explorers Lounge and the Vista Lounge. They have evening dance sets in these locations. Watch the schedule for times, style of music and locations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If enough people want something the cruise lines would accommodate and apparently dancing is not wanted by enough passengers. It seems to me the trend is more towards Disneyland type of entertainment on the newer , bigger ships. 

40 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

If enough people want something the cruise lines would accommodate and apparently dancing is not wanted by enough passengers. It seems to me the trend is more towards Disneyland type of entertainment on the newer , bigger ships. 

Agreed. If dancing is an important component of your cruise, you should not sail the newer ships.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RNRcruisers said:

That's too bad. We have recently begun taking ballroom dance lessons and enjoy using our new skills on cruises. We were on Regal in January and  I agree the Vista Lounge dance floor wasn't good for dancing, although there were often quite a few dancers anyway. We rarely used the piazza, agree it wasn't really dance music. We did the most dancing in Club 6 later in the evening but of course that was a DJ and not ballroom dance. Hopefully Princess realizes this is an issue and makes some changes.

But how big of an issue is it really?  

On 3/9/2022 at 10:06 PM, CineGraphic said:

If princess sees it, then they know a good customer is  NOT happy

Edited by IJustWantToGo36