This is the best news!!

4 minutes ago, sewgood said:

I agree with you,  my theory is that P&O had been given some information when they last cancelled their block of Australian cruises due to the fact that they cancelled up to the end of May.

Which is good as they could get a head start on preparation.

Also I think Australia may restrict the number of ships allowed here for a while, partly because if they are only operating domestic cruises there will be very limited port spaces.

That also may explain why Princess has cancelled bringing Royal Princess here for the 22/23 season. But I still think they'll bring Coral Princess over as soon as possible for new winter itineraries.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That fits with my theory that the regular cruise lines have had prior notice to start preparing their ships for Australian cruising.

P&O (Aust)ships have not been deployed elsewhere so should be “ more prepared” to return to Australia quicker than other lines who have “ our” ships cruising  elsewhere, not so much necessarily, as prior notice…….if P&O knew, rest assured Princess Carnival etc would have known. 

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

P&O have said they are aiming for cruising to restart here by May, they have a few months to get ready and get here.

Only Pacific Explorer from Sydney on the 31st May. Encounter has been delayed until 20th August in Brisbane.

5 hours ago, Babr said:

Perhaps you’ll get a partial victory on a return to cruising.

I just got an email from Princess cancelling my November cruise on the Royal departing from Sydney. Nothing is scheduled until March of 2023. 

Found this under updates on the Princess website:

... It has therefore been necessary to make several changes to our future deployments, and regretfully we are cancelling the following cruises:
Diamond Princess Japan and Singapore cruises through March 3, 2023
Majestic Princess sailings in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific February 2023 through May 2023
Royal Princess sailings in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific September 2022 through March 4, 2023
Ruby Princess Panama Canal sailings in February 2023 ...

15 minutes ago, boeckli said:

Found this under updates on the Princess website:

... It has therefore been necessary to make several changes to our future deployments, and regretfully we are cancelling the following cruises:
Diamond Princess Japan and Singapore cruises through March 3, 2023

Diamond is still sitting off Limassol with the P&O ships so she should be free to come down under.  Sapphire is also there but I think she is committed elsewhere.

We are cruising Azamara from Dubai ending in Melbs Jan 3 2023. It looks as though it may now happen 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼   It’s via W.A. but if that’s any issue I guess they could come down the East Coast. Got a little bit excited when I heard the news. 

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

Diamond is still sitting off Limassol with the P&O ships so she should be free to come down under.  Sapphire is also there but I think she is committed elsewhere.

Sapphire is doing Mexico, California and Hawaii cruises until the end of the year according to the Princess website and then cruises in early 2023 to Antarctica and South America. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, boeckli said:

The key part to the statement is the following.

Minister for Home Affairs Karen Andrews said the Australian Border Force stands ready to welcome international cruise ship passengers and crew back to Australia.

If this statement is fractural, there will be international passengers coming and going.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ondine said:

Diamond's Japan and Asia itineraries have been cancelled so there is a possibility she could get sent down here.

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

So wondering is the Grand Princess still coming to Australia at the end of year....

Our November 2022 cruise still seams a go on the Princess site.....

But we will see..... a lot of water still to under the bridge

Cheers Don with G&T

So far Grand is still scheduled to come here but whether she'll be able to do all her original itineraries is a different question.

42 minutes ago, SuitesRbest said:

The key part to the statement is the following.

Minister for Home Affairs Karen Andrews said the Australian Border Force stands ready to welcome international cruise ship passengers and crew back to Australia.

If this statement is fractural, there will be international passengers coming and going.

Yes. Hopefully that won't be a problem but I must admit I'd prefer they started with locals only. Many international visitors want to cruise to NZ so that could cause cancellations if NZ doesn't open up early enough.

• Haha 1

We are doing a transpacific from 3rd Oct, Honolulu to reach Sydney on 22nd October aboard Celebrity Eclipse.

While we are very happy that Australia is opening up, I'm still not sure the cruise will go ahead unless NZ does also. This cruise has 5 sea days before it reaches NZ so I'm sure they will not have sufficient supplies to bypass NZ altogether.

FIngers crossed they follow suit🤞

Toodooloo

Lynn

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tuffyiscruisin said:

Might find out more on NZ opening tomorrow based on this article tonight, hopefully it includes Cruises especially with Aus opening

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300542040/covid19-nz-government-to-move-tourism-opening-date-forwards-to-april

I am not sure if cruising will be brought forward from October but it would be nice if it did.

39 minutes ago, lara h said:

We are doing a transpacific from 3rd Oct, Honolulu to reach Sydney on 22nd October aboard Celebrity Eclipse.

While we are very happy that Australia is opening up, I'm still not sure the cruise will go ahead unless NZ does also. This cruise has 5 sea days before it reaches NZ so I'm sure they will not have sufficient supplies to bypass NZ altogether.

FIngers crossed they follow suit🤞

Toodooloo

Lynn

Don't worry, they would have sufficient supplies to reach Sydney or Brisbane if NZ was still closed off. World cruises often have six or more sea days in a row plus ships would typically carry extra supplies in aase they have to deviate from their course to avoid really bad weather. They might run out of a few fresh items though.

Like I’ve said previously and as others have noted (including Karen Andrews), if it’s a no to international arrivals via cruise, there will be no domestic cruises in your market.

If the Morrison cabal decide to cancel international arrivals (again) between now and the Wave season, you can write off another season in October, as no ships will arrive. It isn’t profitable for the lines to relocate.

I am expecting NZ to announce international visitors via cruise are welcome October 2022, meaning a resumption for that domestic market too.

Good news all around. In the meantime, pray that NT, WA and SA get their act together and allow cruises to resume from their ports. It’s been far too long.

12 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Diamond's Japan and Asia itineraries have been cancelled so there is a possibility she could get sent down here.

Diamond is sailing from San Diego through our summer season - 

Diamond Princess Sailings

Cruises from San Diego – Diamond Princess
From September 2022 through February 2023, cruising in California expands with a return to San Diego. Diamond Princess will be joining the fleet of west coast-based ships with a series of brand-new cruise itineraries ranging from five to 16 days and calling at ports along the Mexican Riviera, California Coast, and the Hawaiian Islands. In addition, the ship will sail a unique 20-day cruise to Central America, roundtrip from San Diego in November 2022. The on-sale date for these cruises is March 24, 2022.

21 hours ago, boeckli said:

Princess website still shows Oz sailings on Coral, Grand and Majestic from October 2022 onwards but nothing for Royal.

Royal has been relocated to USA for cruising season, as has Diamond Princess and Ruby Princess.

11 hours ago, ollyoeno said:

Like I’ve said previously and as others have noted (including Karen Andrews), if it’s a no to international arrivals via cruise, there will be no domestic cruises in your market.

If the Morrison cabal decide to cancel international arrivals (again) between now and the Wave season, you can write off another season in October, as no ships will arrive. It isn’t profitable for the lines to relocate.

I am expecting NZ to announce international visitors via cruise are welcome October 2022, meaning a resumption for that domestic market too.

Good news all around. In the meantime, pray that NT, WA and SA get their act together and allow cruises to resume from their ports. It’s been far too long.

Hi, there is a cruise out of Adelaide 3 night cruise to nowhere with P&O so Adelaide will be open 

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Diamond is sailing from San Diego through our summer season - 

Diamond Princess Sailings

Cruises from San Diego – Diamond Princess
From September 2022 through February 2023, cruising in California expands with a return to San Diego. Diamond Princess will be joining the fleet of west coast-based ships with a series of brand-new cruise itineraries ranging from five to 16 days and calling at ports along the Mexican Riviera, California Coast, and the Hawaiian Islands. In addition, the ship will sail a unique 20-day cruise to Central America, roundtrip from San Diego in November 2022. The on-sale date for these cruises is March 24, 2022.

Thanks for sharing.  I see they also announced that Coral will sail from Brisbane commencing in June.  Details to be announced tomorrow.    🙂 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ollyoeno said:

I am puzzled by your comments. P&O has announced their cruises will start in May. We have sufficient people wanting to cruise that international visitors are not required if there are only a few ships operating out of Australian ports. I refer to the fact that P&O always had two or three ships operating here and NEVER marketed their cruises overseas.

When a few cruise lines have ships operating, we will need international visitors to make up the numbers. The government's announcement referred to welcoming international visitors via cruise ship.

The ships are coming, whether you like it or not. In addition to P&O, Princess has announced domestic cruises starting in June and Royal Caribbean has announced that cruising will start a few months later - our usual cruising season.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1