What about our old friend the Norovirus? Has anyone heard from her?

kmtoner

With more than two years of attention devoted to the Covid-19 coronavirus, I’m curious about her almost forgotten cousin, the norovirus. Has anyone seen any signs of her on Celebrity ships since sailings resumed?

I scoured the CDC website and found nothing even slightly worrisome. Now I’m hopeful that CC Board members will confirm for me that sailings have been smooth and without much in the way of choppy intestinal seas to report.

BTW, our only direct experience with “noro” was years ago on an RC Western Caribbean cruise. One night at 2 a.m., our teenager suddenly redecorated the hallway before he could get inside his cabin. That was immediately followed by confinement to his quarters for 48 hours and bright yellow police caution tape across his cabin door. Not a happy camper, I assure you.

Here’s hoping that the extra sanitation measures spurred on by Covid precautions will also all but eliminate norovirus outbreaks on Celebrity.

43 minutes ago, kmtoner said:

With more than two years of attention devoted to the Covid-19 coronavirus, I’m curious about her almost forgotten cousin, the norovirus. Has anyone seen any signs of her on Celebrity ships since sailings resumed?

I scoured the CDC website and found nothing even slightly worrisome. Now I’m hopeful that CC Board members will confirm for me that sailings have been smooth and without much in the way of choppy intestinal seas to report.

BTW, our only direct experience with “noro” was years ago on an RC Western Caribbean cruise. One night at 2 a.m., our teenager suddenly redecorated the hallway before he could get inside his cabin. That was immediately followed by confinement to his quarters for 48 hours and bright yellow police caution tape across his cabin door. Not a happy camper, I assure you.

Here’s hoping that the extra sanitation measures spurred on by Covid precautions will also all but eliminate norovirus outbreaks on Celebrity.

Hopefully but kind of optimistic.  They spread in completely different ways.  As soon as people stop washing their hands before using the buffet, Noro will come roaring back!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We've been on 9 Celebrity cruise legs so far and haven't heard of any incidents so far. We were on a 14 day Oceania cruise about 6 years ago where we sailed under Code Red for the last 12 days with passengers in 102 cabins having the red tape stuck on their doors and their shipboard cards confiscated until they were released from quarantine. Definitely not a fun cruise. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Hopefully but kind of optimistic.  They spread in completely different ways.  As soon as people stop washing their hands before using the buffet, Noro will come roaring back!

One reason I hope they still require the staff to serve the food rather than the passengers!  Yes, they can still breathe on it, but at least they won't be handling it.  

• Like 10

When I looked up norovirus online it said: commonly spread through food or water that is contaminated during preparation or through contaminated surfaces. Noroviruses can also spread through close contact with a person who has norovirus infection.

Seems like a preparation problem more than briefly touching the same tongs as another person. (Unless this would be considered "close contact.")

6 minutes ago, dgoz said:

When I looked up norovirus online it said: commonly spread through food or water that is contaminated during preparation or through contaminated surfaces. Noroviruses can also spread through close contact with a person who has norovirus infection.

Seems like a preparation problem more than briefly touching the same tongs as another person. (Unless this would be considered "close contact.")

On my last cruise in 2019, I was in line at the Oceanview buffet.  I saw the woman in front of me eat food from her plate and licked her fingers.  She then grabbed a serving spoon.  I left that line and found another.  Gross!

Edited by yogini06
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Keep Noro in perspective, according to CDC about 35 to 40 million Americans get noro, 5000 are on cruise ships.

Yes it is very common and a concern at the all-you-can-eat buffets on land.  Nobody seems to realize.

45 minutes ago, davy jones said:

Anything with a covid symptom is considered to be covid by the CDC.  Therefore, they have eradicated norovirus, the flu, and the common cold from the face of the earth.

I see what you are trying to do but this is easily debunked as false...

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/usmap.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/reporting/norostat/data.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, davy jones said:

Anything with a covid symptom is considered to be covid by the CDC.  Therefore, they have eradicated norovirus, the flu, and the common cold from the face of the earth.

Just an FYI, my comment is based on Pre Covid stats.

I think the hand washing requirements and the crew actually serving the food have done wonders to stem the norovirus tide.

As an aside, I saw a couple refused entrance from the buffet on my last NCL cruise for refusing to wash their hands.

Celebrity seems a little more lax in that regard.

19 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I think the hand washing requirements and the crew actually serving the food have done wonders to stem the norovirus tide.

As an aside, I saw a couple refused entrance from the buffet on my last NCL cruise for refusing to wash their hands.

Celebrity seems a little more lax in that regard.

I saw a couple refused entrance from the buffet on my last NCL cruise for refusing to wash their hands.  People like this should be removed from the ship, not just the buffet!  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, dgoz said:

You may be correct on contamination during Prep but the root cause is -  contamination with infected feces.   After infection it can be passed by touching any surface, railing or utensil.  

Norovirus infection facts

People acquire the virus by ingesting material contaminated with small amounts of infected feces or fluids. Food and water may be contaminated during processing or handling. Noroviruses are the most common cause of gastroenteritis in the United States.

1 hour ago, 5waldos said:

Just remember that hand sanitizer does NOT kill norovirus. Washing your hands with soap and water helps. 

It does if it’s 99.999% effective against germs. But good luck finding that level on a ship. But washing your hands for 20+ seconds in warm water is a much more effective way to deal with it. Plus staying out of public bathrooms helps too. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

It does if it’s 99.999% effective against germs. But good luck finding that level on a ship. But washing your hands for 20+ seconds in warm water is a much more effective way to deal with it. Plus staying out of public bathrooms helps too. 

"Alcohol-based hand disinfectant, though effective against a number of viruses and bacteria that cause gastroenteritis, is not in and of itself effective in reducing the transmission of norovirus," Dr. Trong Tony Trinh, M.D., an infectious disease physician at the Polyclinic in Seattle, Washington,"

I could c&p many many more expert statements concerning this. 

22 hours ago, yogini06 said:

On my last cruise in 2019, I was in line at the Oceanview buffet.  I saw the woman in front of me eat food from her plate and licked her fingers.  She then grabbed a serving spoon.  I left that line and found another.  Gross!

I'm confused.  Did you say anything to the pax or the staff about it?

21 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

"Alcohol-based hand disinfectant, though effective against a number of viruses and bacteria that cause gastroenteritis, is not in and of itself effective in reducing the transmission of norovirus," Dr. Trong Tony Trinh, M.D., an infectious disease physician at the Polyclinic in Seattle, Washington,"

I could c&p many many more expert statements concerning this. 

You are absolutely correct.

https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/prevention.html

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

You are absolutely correct.

https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/prevention.html

It says hand sanitizers aren't as effective as handwashing, which is absolutely true.  It does not say hand sanitizers are ineffective.  Depending on the product (and they definitely vary) they can kill a high percentage of germs including norovirus.  That said, I would never rely on it rather than handwashing.

Edited by phoenix_dream

10 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

It says hand sanitizers aren't as effective as handwashing, which is absolutely true.  It does not say hand sanitizers are ineffective.  Depending on the product (and they definitely vary) they can kill a high percentage of germs including norovirus.  That said, I would never rely on it rather than handwashing.

I know. I just didn't feel like pressing the issue. But after our Oceania cruise, we did some research and even though hand washing is the best method by far, we found hand sanitizers with a 99.999% rating would also help if you weren't in a position to wash your hands and wanted piece of mind you were being pro-active. When I did an internet search on "hand sanitizer 99.999% norovirus", a variety of products came back noting their product is effective against norovirus.

Boarding Odyssey of the Seas tomorrow and just got this notice.  Not necessarily Noro but..

Due to elevated cases of gastrointestinal illness on our previous cruise, we will be conducting sanitation prior to boarding. As a result, we kindly ask that you arrive 1 hour after your selected arrival time.

2 hours ago, CruiserRob said:

Boarding Odyssey of the Seas tomorrow and just got this notice.  Not necessarily Noro but..

Due to elevated cases of gastrointestinal illness on our previous cruise, we will be conducting sanitation prior to boarding. As a result, we kindly ask that you arrive 1 hour after your selected arrival time.

Oh that’s not good.  🙁

8 hours ago, mspink98 said:

I think noro will remain under control until Covid restrictions lift and crew are no longer serving in the buffet. Some of the habits I've seen among pax in that regard are atrocious. 

One of the reasons I've always been appreciative of the fact that on Holland America the buffet has always been with the staff serving the guests. Interesting also that HAL also no longer has trays at the buffet but lots of staff to assist guests to their table if needed. Per a staff member on the Eurodam, just last week, this has reduced the amount of food thrown away by 40% since guests aren't piling up trays with food and then leaving half of it uneaten. Celebrity should take note!