Blogging from the Ruby Princess

PescadoAmarillo

4 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out. 🥹

It hasn’t been anything less than grueling to arrive at that decision. The high heart rate warning on my Apple Watch has become a multiple times daily occurrence. Bottom line:  he wanted me to leave. I left. 

Malama Pono to you and your DH.  That is real love that he wanted you to leave while you still could.  I admire him for helping you make that decision.  Safe Travels.

• Like 2

@PescadoAmarillo
I am one of your blog follower.  We were also on multiple cruises down under in 2020, but on the Sea and Golden.  Your blog was the first thing I read in the morning. We were lucky to have started the land portion of our trip a coupe of days before the big halt!  
We are now booked on 2 cruises in Europe for this summer.  Have to spend these FCC for cancelled cruises before the end of the year.  The information you are sharing has me rethinking.  Not nice to say, but unless very sick, it might just be better to remain in our cabin if we were to get sick.  Avoid the ship test at all cost!

I have read somewhere that for longer cruises, you have to test mid-voyage.  Is this the case?

I dont know but at some point we will need to decide if we are going to accept to live with COVID.  Are all these quarantine restrictions necessary if you dont get all that sick if vaccinated.  We have been travelling through the USA since October, and there is no restrictions anywhere; very few people are wearing mask; no isolation for close contact etc.  The CDC just dropped the risk advisory for cruise ship travel.  

If cruise line must continue to follow the restrictions, then they have to go back to mask everywhere and they need to enforce it.  Otherwise cruising is way too risky.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Ronnieslady said:

Some are still on the ship, but in quarantine, because they let the Back to Backers stay if they wish to.   So that means anyone in the cabin with the positive tester can still roam the ship for the next cruise.  Although the negative person must only eat meals in his or her cabin & test everyday for 5 days.  

7 minutes ago, antsp said:

Completely incorrect post. 

Actually, this is spot on.  Here is the post of B2B passengers staying on the Ruby

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2840458-blogging-from-the-ruby-princess/

@PescadoAmarillo Thank you so much for your blogs- have been following since the beginning. Whenever I stay in a hotel, I remember your foraging for food comments while you were in Australia. So true. I even did 2 Alaska B2B in August after I lost my DH in July. Being away helped.

So to add a little but not too much. I was on the Sky until Monday. I had booked the 28 day but 2 days before the turnaround in Southampton, all the continuing passengers were tested. Yes I was positive even though I had masked most of the time and never attended entertainment. Sent to quarantine for 2 nights and told I needed to disembark. There were many others- we chatted in the corridor while waiting to disembark. We all had different stories and different instructions.  But now I am free and quarantining on my own and will test to make sure I am no longer contagious. 

Good luck to you- and thanks for all your travel inspirations!

Sue

• Like 7

13 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

if you test negative day 5 you are tested again at least 24 hours but no more than 48 hours later. If that’s negative, you’re free to go. The senior doctor told us most people don’t achieve freedom in six days. 

I can say from first-hand experience that I am on day 8 today and haven't tested negative yet.  I'll try again in a couple of days.  I'm glad I'm isolating at home where I can roam the house freely.  I've taken a few walks up and down the street but haven't come across any of the neighbors yet.  I bring a mask and plan to "evade" in case I see anyone else out walking although being outdoors and across the street is pretty safe.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, voljeep said:

2 different situations - 1 "G" who is positive and quarantined and 2 "J" who is NOT positive, but close contact ( still at least with some ship 'priviledges' , just not eating in public ) and is leaving the ship by her decision ...  and I understand the "G" is a big boy, been sailing solo, and seems more than capable of being his own .

It appears that it could happen to anyone by just being in close proximity to an infected person.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DUCHESSRN said:

So many headaches for so many loyal passengers ...wishing all well.

We were stuck in FortLauderdale for 2 nights after cancelled flight after Ruby on March 12th ..seems trivial now .

We were stuck there with you. An interesting couple of days!

46 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

It appears that it could happen to anyone by just being in close proximity to an infected person.

Yes. That's why I wear a KN95 mask for 4 weeks before my cruise, and throughout the cruise. Its a matter of personal responsibility.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

So sorry that the trip you've been looking forward to was such a nightmare!  Hope your flight home was smooth and that you can at least relax knowing your home.

Fingers crossed that there's no more snow!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Yes. That's why I wear a KN95 mask for 4 weeks before my cruise, and throughout the cruise. Its a matter of personal responsibility.

We haven't changed our way of living before or during our current trip.

What will be, will be. We just live, having all our shots and hope for the best.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, pompeii said:

I can say from first-hand experience that I am on day 8 today and haven't tested negative yet.  I'll try again in a couple of days.  I'm glad I'm isolating at home where I can roam the house freely.  I've taken a few walks up and down the street but haven't come across any of the neighbors yet.  I bring a mask and plan to "evade" in case I see anyone else out walking although being outdoors and across the street is pretty safe.

I don't understand the re-testing. You can test positive for weeks,  even though no longer contagious.  Our county health department website says 5 days quarantine if no fever /no meds and symptoms getting better,  then okay to go out with wellfitting mask. Otherwise 10 days quarantine. 

• Thanks 1

I have just arrived home and self-tested negative. I have a PCR test scheduled for Monday morning.

I could write extensively about what we’ve gone through (and DH is continuing to go through).  The bottom line is that you cannot cruise without fully expecting to be placed under house arrest for ten days. No medical assessment will be taken, you’ll receive no medical care at all. Senior management on the ship will act like you don’t exist. It’s the most egregious treatment I’ve ever witnessed from Princess, and the worst part is the lack of communication and documentation. 

My advice is to not book B2B cruises or any cruise longer than 5 days. Actually, my advice is to not cruise right now. Imagine ten days in lockdown by yourself without even being assessed for under lying conditions. Just the detrimental mental health impact cannot be overstated. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 14

Pescado Amarillo- thanks for your update ,no doubt still a lot to go through since your husband is still on the ship. Hope he gets to fly home as soon as his current cruise is over. 

We are all pulling / thinking  of you and your husband.

• Like 5

Very happy to hear that you  arrived home and self-tested negative.  I hope your husband will be able to fly home soon and test neg. I agree with your advice of not cruising.  We don't see us cruising for a long time or maybe never again.

Very sorry to hear about what you went through.

Maria

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I have just arrived home and self-tested negative. I have a PCR test scheduled for Monday morning.

I could write extensively about what we’ve gone through (and DH is continuing to go through).  The bottom line is that you cannot cruise without fully expecting to be placed under house arrest for ten days. No medical assessment will be taken, you’ll receive no medical care at all. Senior management on the ship will act like you don’t exist. It’s the most egregious treatment I’ve ever witnessed from Princess, and the worst part is the lack of communication and documentation. 

My advice is to not book B2B cruises or any cruise longer than 5 days. Actually, my advice is to not cruise right now. Imagine ten days in lockdown by yourself without even being assessed for under lying conditions. Just the detrimental mental health impact cannot be overstated. 

Our prayers are with the 2 of you.  Please keep us posted.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I am so relieved that you have arrived home safely.  I hope G tests negative soon and is able to leave the ship at the first opportunity and return home to you.  

Thank you again for all your updates and advice.  It has really clarified my thinking, and influenced my decision on how to try to use some of our Princess credits before they expire at the end of this year.  

I am in Australia and cruising here recommences in June.   I will probably book a 7 day cruise, round trip from my home town so only a short drive to the ship and then only Australian ports.   

Please let us know when G gets home safely if he is happy for you to share.   

• Like 1

I’ve followed your blog for years. We were on a cruise together several years ago, but I did not want to intrude and introduce myself.

I am so sorry for your experience.  It sounds just awful.  My hubby keeps mentioning cheap cruises.  I keep saying nope.  We went to Maui last May instead of a cruise.  Was the right decision, for us.

I got my 2nd booster yesterday!  Still being careful though.  Fingers, toes and eyes crossed that you continue to test negative.  And the G recovers and comes home soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Wow - this puts a lot of things into perspective. Thank you for your honesty and detail in how it is on the ground. I am most impressed with your ability to report facts in a calm and neutral manner (I can't even imagine the emotions surging through you right now).

Glad you got home safe and hope you continue to test negative!

• Like 6