The Daily for Friday 04/01/2022

richwmn

17 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

to what? sorry still confused.  and BTW do ships sail out of Dover still?

It was more a saying but some kids in fun would nip and punch their friends on the first day of the month.

Dover is the second busiest port in the UK.

We sailed on NCL Gems maiden voyage in October 2007 from Dover.

Screenshot_20220401_204400.jpg

Screenshot_20220401_204436.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

It was more a saying but some kids in fun would nip and punch their friends on the first day of the month.

Dover is the second busiest port in the UK.

We sailed on NCL Gems maiden voyage in October 2007 from Dover.

aw good to know

I guess I am still confused by the words NIP and Punch meaning.  But okay no need to answer.   I have lost interest.

glad to hear Dover still thriving

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

aw good to know

I guess I am still confused by the words NIP and Punch meaning.  But okay no need to answer.   I have lost interest.

glad to hear Dover still thriving

It was just a childish thing among local kids 

For most of us in County Durham England it was just a regional saying passed down through the generations.

Screenshot_20220401_210131.jpg

Screenshot_20220401_210007.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

It was just a childish thing among friends.

For most of us in County Durham England it was just a regional saying.

Screenshot_20220401_210131.jpg

funny I thought your parents gave ya a sip of bear when I heard the word NIP.  ha  ha.

One week from today I will be on the Wonder of the Seas.  yippee

• Like 7

We have been without internet for most of day. I had my second negative test but DW still had a positive so remains in quarantine.🙁 She insisted I get out so I’m free.

When I was hauling my bags back people started asking why I was changing rooms. Felt like saying I was the new comedian changing rooms but explained where I had been. I believe they held their breath the entire elevator ride. I was masked. Probably won’t see Sue until luggage pick up Sunday!

it is what it is.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 12

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

funny I thought your parents gave ya a sip of bear when I heard the word NIP.  ha  ha.

One week from today I will be on the Wonder of the Seas.  yippee

They did but that's a different story lol.

I hope you have an amazing cruise on Wonder of the seas.

• Like 7

@aliaschiefPrior to our cruise, my husband and I talked about what we would do if one of us tested positive.  We decided, only one of us would go into quarantine because that is the only way our marriage would survive.🤣 I hope you are able to enjoy the rest of your cruise.  I bet you have never appreciated china plates as much as you will this evening.  Sending positive thoughts to your wife. 

• Like 15
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@aliaschiefPrior to our cruise, my husband and I talked about what we would do if one of us tested positive.  We decided, only one of us would go into quarantine because that is the only way our marriage would survive.🤣 I hope you are able to enjoy the rest of your cruise.  I bet you have never appreciated china plates as much as you will this evening.  Sending positive thoughts to your wife. 

Thank you. The one who is negative may have to be tested for five days straight and depending on country may be denied to visit. SIL who today was negative x 5 days was denied going off hip in Jamaica ysteday.

Bottom line is we are not at all in control and ships medical and security are. You do what they tell you.😷

• Like 13
  • Thanks 8

Our crazy weather continues.  We've had strong winds most of the day and while the temperatures were mild I thought the wind chill too low not to wear my heavier coat.  I lucked out this morning when there was a lull about 9:30 and with the heavier coat it was comfortable to take my Panera oatmeal to an outdoor table rather than carrying it home.  The wind is back up and it feels COLD outside.

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon after a somewhat busy morning.  Last night, we stayed up late, first to be on our balcony when we sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge, and then we watched tv for awhile.  As a result, we slept late and then attended the Mariners reception. 

Having missed breakfast, we headed to the Dive-In for burgers and fries, followed by Gelato.  Then, sadly, I needed to get a few things organized since we have to pack tomorrow.  😪  I have finally finished reading the Daily.

I have never tried tating, and I doubt I have the patience for it.  I rarely was able to walk to work, and now being retired, the last two days don't apply any more.

I like today’s quote.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.  We have fixed cedar smoked salmon and alder smoked salmon.  I haven't read the recipes, so I don't know if this was mentioned, but it is a good idea to soak the wood 30 minutes or longer.  It helps with the smoke and helps keep the wood from burning.  We've also learned to keep a spray bottle of water nearby, just in case the wood catches fire. 

We have not been to Java -- yet.

@marshhawk  I hope Fawn is all right and not seriously Injured.

@Cruising-along  What great news that your DS and DDIL finally have the keys to their new house.

@Suslor  Sorry your cruise was cancelled, but it is for a good cause.

@Cruzin Terri  Good luck with you test today.

@aliaschief  I'm glad you tested negative and were released from quarantine.  We hope Sue tests negative soon and can rejoin you.

Such sad news about the PA State Troopers.  All of them and their families are in our thoughts.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

DH and I had PCR test today at Walgreens.  We were told that turnaround time is 36 to 72 hours.  We are leaving on Monday so with or without the results, we are going.

Thank you to all the well-wishers. We appreciate it.

Terri

I suspect you will know by Monday and certainly hope so.

Roy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I suspect you will know by Monday and certainly hope so.

Roy

This is a far cry from the Mayo Clinic where we had our results in 5 hours.  Then again they have their own lab on site.

I am not traveling 175 miles to go there to get a COVID test.  This will have to do.

Terri

• Like 15

11 hours ago, Rowsby said:
My husband peacefully passed away yesterday.....after 18 long but well cared for days in the hospital.....

While our family is grieving....we have wonderful memories....this is one of them.....a 14 day cruise to Alaska with his brother and one of our sons....

Doug - Alaska cruise.jpg

My most sincere condolences to you and your family.  May you cherish all your happy memories to sustain you into the coming days.  You will lean on those memories for always.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@Cruising-along Good news on DS and DDIL getting the keys to their house! That neighbor sounds like a real piece of work!

He sure does sound like a piece of work to me.  Surprisingly though, when DS and DDIL met the other neighbors today, they were all shocked about the lawsuit because they think he's a really nice guy (!?!) Maybe the issue was between him and the seller and the talk about him isn't entirely true.  Still very odd to me.  The good news is the other neighbors are lovely and very welcoming, and DS and DDIL aren't quite as worried about "that guy" as they were. 

6 hours ago, kazu said:

That is great news, at long last 👍 

Great news indeed!

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@Cruising-along  What great news that your DS and DDIL finally have the keys to their new house.

Lenda

It was so nice to see the big smiles on their faces today.  Now they can get started on the renovations they have planned. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

@RowsbyMy condolences to you and your family.  May your memories keep your husband close in your heart.

@1ANGELCATPrayers for the Lebanon officers.  Very sad.  My DS is a police officer, and the officer in charge of the Emergency Response Team.  Domestic calls scare me much more than ERT calls!

My DMIL tatted.  I am fortunate to have a few of her lovely pieces.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1