More info on Self-service in Buffets

If the concern of some cruisers is that other people are touching and handling the tongs/spoons, then who is opening the restroom doors for them? What about the drinks/beers that are being handed to them? Isn't there the same chance of contacting something?

• Like 1

The difference with food is how quickly germs can multiply within food and that you are directly ingesting them. There are many made to order options at the buffet, and some pre-plated cold items to choose from. The crew is also touching everything, and not performing hand hygiene between contacts. Take from the untouched parts of the pan, choose something just put out, and re-sanitize your hands before eating. I've always carried my own little hand sanitizer and I've never gotten sick on a cruise ship. If concerned about covid or other respiratory infections, avoid densely crowded situations. Adjust your eating schedule for less crowded times. 

I liked being served at the buffet but I also saw how unsustainable it is on my most recent cruise. They just do not have the staff. One crew member trying to serve both lines on a service island by themselves is miserable for everyone.

I was never really too concerned about touching utensils, doors, etc. on previous cruises, but Covid changed all that. I had the Omicron and never want to be that sick again. Just using  a little caution and common sense (and good hygiene) should make cruising fun again. Why not do those things that make you happy? I can't wait to start cruising again! Hand sanitizers come in all sizes and types, no need to stress when you can somewhat control your exposure to germs and viruses. Happy Cruising!🛳️

• Like 2

I prefer washing my hands with soap and water, especially since sanitizer is not as effective.  Besides the fact that few people use either method properly, SARS-Cov-2 is not usually transmitted from surfaces.  Regardless, other viruses and bacteria are contracted through touch so it's definitely a good idea to thoroughly wash your hands regularly, especially after touching public surfaces and before eating.  I have always washed my hands regularly and rarely get sick with any contagious disease. 

I did contract COVID-19 right after Thanksgiving 2020.  It was a cold and I didn't get tested because I never ran a fever.  When I lost my sense of smell and taste the next week, I took an antibody test to confirm.  I did not get it from touch.  It was airborne.  The lady that cleans our house had it (unknowingly) when she was here the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.  She called the next day to let us know she was sick and tested positive.  She got it from the client she cleaned for a day earlier.  And she wears gloves (and a mask) while cleaning, so obviously neither of those things helped stop the spread to me.

• Like 4

Just off a b2b on Anthem and enjoyed having crew serve in WJ as it is much easier if carrying 2 plates.   I.e I would get fruit in a bowl then get my omelet and bacon on a plate.   We like to sit at outdoor patio at rear of WJ so it was much easier than putting one plate down then go back for next plate. 

We were on the Oasis last week and the buffet and ice cream were served by staff even on Coco Cay. The WJ had drinks prefilled so you can just take them but other spots like Park Cafe and Sorrentos had glasses to fill yourself. There are little exceptions such as bread near the pasta station. That seemed self serve. There were never long lines to get served, at least when I was there. We usually ate breakfast in Park Cafe so we missed what was probably a zoo in the morning. 

I did like the full sinks with soap and water to wash hands before going into WJ. 

Was on Odyssey last month.  There were plenty of crew serving at Windjammer.  I realize that was a new ship and perhaps staffed better than older ships.  I preferred being served, but understand that things are constantly changing.  If possible, we like to choose a table near the washy washy area and freshly wash our hands before eating.  I usually pick foods that you can eat with silverware and have been known to use gloves during times when stomach issues have been rumored.  We always carry hand sanitizer.  I do realize how excessive this sounds and in reality, I can touch a contaminated handrail or other surface and all my prep is useless.  I guess this is turning into an insight into my OCD behavior, lol.  Once you have suffered through noro on a vacation you may worry a bit more, too.         

• Like 1

Just off NOS. They served you at WJ but you manhandled your own condiments including syrup, ketchup, etc. It’s strange, like masks in terminal but not on the ship. Can you get half pregnant🤔

• Haha 6

I'm not sure how many of you were cruising BEFORE the covid shutdown issues. But if you did - AND had little to no problem with self-serve buffets - why are you complaining NOW?? Ongoing fear of covid? Or just another chance to piss & moan about something!

27 cruises on RCI - with open buffets & full capacity - and only one travel partner was ill for 2 days. I don't waste my life worrying about stuff I can't control. I can control my own behavior and my own protections (handwashing, sanitizer, napkins, careful observation). The result - all that is left is to relax and ENJOY THE CRUISES I AM TRULY BLESSED TO BE ON!

• Like 5

Super sad to hear we are still going to require testing to get back into the U.S. after the extended April 18 deadline. Hopefully, the cruise lines won’t require testing to board much longer. I am completely done with this covid business

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 3:32 PM, kdog3ss said:

If the concern of some cruisers is that other people are touching and handling the tongs/spoons, then who is opening the restroom doors for them? What about the drinks/beers that are being handed to them? Isn't there the same chance of contacting something?

Um, have you not noticed the signs telling you not to use your hands to open the restroom door on the way out? Because, well, it increases the risk that you will contract something?

The bar service guy I trust. That’s one person handling my glass. The buffet is where hundreds of people handle the serving utensils before you do. Not the same at all. But the visuals I don’t want to see in the buffet is the kid that drops the spoon into the soup, then takes his hand out of his nose and reaches to the bottom of the soup container to retrieve it. The precious little thing!

I prefer cafeteria style service in the Windjammer, but will still eat there considering a manageable risk that could steer me away from certain items, but not spoil my lunch, let alone the cruise.

People are worried about people you the utensils at the buffet but at the same time think nothing of it to grab a door knob or a handrail or push an elevator button or immediately sit at a table after or a stool at a bar after somebody has just gotten up or grabbing that ink pen they have just given you to sign a receipt or picking up those gift items in the store and on and on. 
Having spent some years in the restaurant industry you don’t even want to know everything that goes on in the background that you can’t see! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bigque said:

People are worried about people you the utensils at the buffet but at the same time think nothing of it to grab a door knob or a handrail or push an elevator button or immediately sit at a table after or a stool at a bar after somebody has just gotten up or grabbing that ink pen they have just given you to sign a receipt or picking up those gift items in the store and on and on. 
Having spent some years in the restaurant industry you don’t even want to know everything that goes on in the background that you can’t see! 

One thing that I'm not sure I've ever seen get cleaned is chair armrests.  People routinely grab them to move their chair in and out from a table.  Also salt and pepper shakers.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

One thing that I'm not sure I've ever seen get cleaned is chair armrests.  People routinely grab them to move their chair in and out from a table.  Also salt and pepper shakers.

Yes.....also those towels the WJ staff uses to wipe off the tables.....hmmm !!! Just watched this onboard Explorer last week.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have never seen a bartender clean their hands between seapass card contacts. Your glass and seapass card has whatever the previous person's seapass card had on it. Most of the time that's okay. Washy washy after the bathroom and don't put that card in your mouth. The world is not sterile, just try to keep the pathogen counts down and treat your immune system well.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2022 at 12:21 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Geeze, take an extra napkin and use it to handle utensils if you are so worried about it. This is not the issue some try to blow it up to be.

Yeah but what do you know about health. 🤒

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Salt and pepper shakers dissapear during a NORO outbreak

• Like 2

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Will begin to see cases of NORO and C-19 start to go up.

Was on the Odyssey last week and boarding was delayed for about 1.5 hours. Wasn’t sure why until we checked in. They handed us a paper stating that there had been a noro outbreak on the previous cruise. I’m guessing the delayed boarding was for extra cleaning? Didn’t hear anything about it after that. Crew was still serving the food.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1