Utopia of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, EbayCruiser said:

Anyone know about the shows?  What musical?

Guessing the Aqua show will be a 2nd version of Aqua 80, known as ‘Aqua 80 Too’. Nick Weir teased this today.

Edited by Jumping Cruiser
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Man - I wonder how thick the concrete under the ship must be !!

Tom

She is sat on wooden/steel Keel blocks that prevent the actual bottom of the hull from touching/scraping along the concrete base of the dry dock… but yeah, it has to support ALOT of weight… 😂

Posted (edited)

Does anyone know the pre-inaugural schedule for the ship?

- When it will depart the ship yard?

- When it arrives into the US for the first time?

- When the media/travel agent/preview sailings are?

Edited by SailorMan98

11 hours ago, SailorMan98 said:

When it will depart the ship yard?

AIS shows her going on a sea trial May 7 - assume she'll back to the yard for a few more weeks of work after that before delivery. Sometimes the app shows pre-delivery trips, though nothing for her yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lloyd555 said:

📷 p_pouvreau 

FB_IMG_1715082116179.thumb.jpg.5fce15b568d7aa22e1719b1ad4ba6be6.jpg

That's an amazing pic. The plane looks like a dolphin with wings!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

The plane looks like a dolphin with wings!

Deliveries to/from the Airbus facility nearby via that plane is probably pretty routine.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FionaMG said:

That's an amazing pic. The plane looks like a dolphin with wings!

That's an Airbus plane that transports large airplane sections for assembly. It's known as the Beluga, and it's painted to look like a beluga whale.

• Like 2

Does anyone know what is the purpose of the funnel that comes out of the Wipeout Bar. I asked on Wonder and couldn't find a staff member that had any idea. I have viewed overhead pix of it and it is hollow with a grate on top of it. I know they have some navigational equipment in use attached to it but there has to be some main purpose of that funnel.

Image.jpeg

13 hours ago, bajathree said:

Does anyone know what is the purpose of the funnel that comes out of the Wipeout Bar. I asked on Wonder and couldn't find a staff member that had any idea. I have viewed overhead pix of it and it is hollow with a grate on top of it. I know they have some navigational equipment in use attached to it but there has to be some main purpose of that funnel.

Image.jpeg

Apparently it's the galley exhaust funnel.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dgramling said:

Did Utopia not get the clear sections of the ultimate abyss the concept art shows?

I forgot about that feature. 

Looks like it didn't.

Screenshot_20240514_023158_Facebook_resized.thumb.jpg.f42f5854f8203aa6ad94246365377f42.jpg

"Royal Caribbean International’s Utopia of the Seas has not yet officially joined the cruise line, but has already successfully had her first medical evacuation. The incident occurred during the ship’s sea trials, which have just concluded in the Bay of Biscay off western France.

On Saturday, May 11, 2024, the ship reported an injured person onboard while the vessel was eight nautical miles (9 miles / 15 kilometers) off the coast of Belle-Île, at 4:21 p.m. The small island is located in the northern part of the Bay of Biscay due west of the Chantiers de l’Atlantique shipyard, where Utopia of the Seas has been constructed.

The injured individual was hoisted by helicopter and successfully transported to a hospital in Vannes, approximately 30 miles northeast of Belle-Île. The entire operation – from the first call to the successful evacuation – took just over two hours.

The nature of the injury has not been disclosed, nor has the identity of the individual been revealed. Nearly 900 engineers, technicians, designers, officers, and crew were aboard Utopia of the Seas as part of her extensive sea trials testing.

It is unknown whether or not the injury may have been directly related to any testing and no further updates on the person’s condition have been announced.

Utopia of the Seas had begun her five extensive days of sea trials on Tuesday, May 7, and has since returned to the shipyard. The outcome of the testing is still being analyzed and has not yet been formally announced.

Sea trials are an intensive period of final testing for any cruise ship. This is the first time a ship it taken into open waters, and all her critical systems – navigation, propulsion, maneuvering, emergency operations, etc. – are put through extreme tests to ensure full and complete operation. In total, Utopia of the Seas‘ sea trials covered more than 1,000 miles of sailing for all the various tests."

First Evacuation for New Royal Caribbean Ship Before It Ever Debuts (cruisehive.com)

• Thanks 1