Masks not required

englishlee

Not sure if this has already been raised but we are currently on the Quest and were pleasantly surprised to discover that mask wearing was no longer a requirement but merely a suggestion / recommendation. Most passengers seem to have dispensed with them, but all the crew still wear them.

• Like 3

Mmmm 🤨 

Since at debarkation we will have to receive a test and be negative in order to fly home, I will for sure keep wearing my masks to reduce risk of infection. I find it strange that cruise ships are relaxing this policy. When larger numbers of people get infected on a ship, ships face many problems and countries put barriers to stop them calling at their ports.

Time will tell if mask wearing is not too early to relax…

Ivi

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Mmmm 🤨 

Since at debarkation we will have to receive a test and be negative in order to fly home, I will for sure keep wearing my masks to reduce risk of infection. I find it strange that cruise ships are relaxing this policy. When larger numbers of people get infected on a ship, ships face many problems and countries put barriers to stop them calling at their ports.

Ivi

They have the ability to change this with no notice.   If they are finding the numbers are going up(which they are throughout the world), I would not be surprised if they tighten up the policy.   Like you, I plan to wear a mask whenever close to others, unless eating/drinking.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

Mmmm 🤨 

Ivi

Totally agree with you. In confined spaces I too will continue to wear a mask. For me it is common sense to do that regardless. Currently (or at least very recently when I looked) 1 in 13 people in the UK have covid. 

Phil 

• Like 9

We are currently on Quest and are continuing with our masks in confined areas and we are certainly not the only ones. Everyone has to do what they feel comfortable with we are still after two years more cautious than others at 

• Like 6

This policy started on our March 6th Quest cruise.  We did three legs and two had one case of Covid each.  We found that as the cruise went on, less people wore masks but still plenty wore them.  When the Captain announced the Covid cases, mask wearing would go up for a day or two.  We would mainly wear them in elevators though it was unusual for anyone else to be in there with you.

• Like 3

I am surprised the OP says this isn't a requirement now since the Azamara website still describes it that way, unless the ship is sailing from a US port, and it appears Quest is now sailing between Lisbon and Portugal.  What's this about?  Are people misunderstanding?  Is the website wrong?
This is from Azamara's  Explore Well at Sea protocol, posted at https://www.azamara.com/booked-guests/before-you-board/explore-well-at-sea:  

MASK POLICY

Effective for all sailings from U.S. ports, masks are recommended but are not required while indoors. Masks may be required in ports of call depending on local governments mandates.

For all other non-U.S. sailings departing outside of the U.S., masks will continue to be required indoors when physical distancing isn’t possible, including public areas, terminals, during shore excursions and in ports of call based on local government regulations. You will not be required to wear a mask in staterooms, while dining, or in outdoor spaces when physical distancing is possible.

We will continue to update our mask policy as protocols evolve and change.

Here in Norway the National Health Authorities lifted most of the Covid restrictions on february 12th. Last week obligatory quarantine after Covid was also taken away. We still have Covid but have decided to let it be free. It is no longer considered a threat to general health. The problem with new virus variants might force restrictions to return and a second booster is probably needed after this summer.

It is understandable to have shipboard restrictions and I understand the need for wearing masks in some situations.

Right now the only people wearing masks in Ålesund are cruise tourists. It will slowly go away but probably there will be some people wearing masks no matter what because they feel they still need protection.

Next week we will have Iona on her first visit. Potentially 5000 people  but probably much less. 😀

• Like 1

I'm not as fearful of covid as I was, certainly as long as the vaccines remain effective.  We are going to have to learn to live with it. Trouble is the likes of Azamara and other travel companies still fear it and the reputational damage so the cost and inconvenience to you if you do catch it is real and can spoil your trip. That's why I'll do my best to limit the risk as much as I can and wear a mask. They've been doing it in Japan and other parts of Asia for years and is part of the culture.

Phil 

• Like 13

For the majority of vaccinated people, COVID is not a health problem anymore.  I am also not afraid of getting COVID, but I do not want to go trough the stress of having to deal with being COVID positive while traveling. Restrictions are being lifted on land, but if one tests positive before a flight, even though one could be asymptomatic,  we will not be allowed to fly. 

In Greece for example the information they provide, is that if you test positive on random tests that the greek authorities conduct at the airport, you will have to go to a quarantine hotel for 5 days until you test negative. You do not choose the hotel and it seems to be a frustrating experience. It is more frustrating if you are arriving to take a cruise. 

For us, until not all restrictions for travelers are lifted, we will continue wearing our masks in confined spaces. 

Ivi

• Like 4

4 hours ago, travelberlin said:

For the majority of vaccinated people, COVID is not a health problem anymore.  I am also not afraid of getting COVID, but I do not want to go trough the stress of having to deal with being COVID positive while traveling. Restrictions are being lifted on land, but if one tests positive before a flight, even though one could be asymptomatic,  we will not be allowed to fly. 

In Greece for example the information they provide, is that if you test positive on random tests that the greek authorities conduct at the airport, you will have to go to a quarantine hotel for 5 days until you test negative. You do not choose the hotel and it seems to be a frustrating experience. It is more frustrating if you are arriving to take a cruise. 

For us, until not all restrictions for travelers are lifted, we will continue wearing our masks in confined spaces. 

Ivi

COVID is not a walk in the park. We both caught it travelling back from the Canaries and both felt pretty ill for 4/5 days. We tested positive for much more than 5 days - in my case 10 days and my husband for 12 days. Three weeks later we are still not feeling well - little energy, still coughing and absolutely exhausted after trying to do anything much.

21 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Totally agree with you. In confined spaces I too will continue to wear a mask. For me it is common sense to do that regardless. Currently (or at least very recently when I looked) 1 in 13 people in the UK have covid. 

Phil 

It is still spreading here too . DH and I just tested positive yesterday and we’re pretty careful!

43 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

COVID is not a walk in the park. We both caught it travelling back from the Canaries and both felt pretty ill for 4/5 days. We tested positive for much more than 5 days - in my case 10 days and my husband for 12 days. Three weeks later we are still not feeling well - little energy, still coughing and absolutely exhausted after trying to do anything much.

I am sorry to hear that in your case it was not mild. I wish you and your husband a good recovery.

Ivi

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

It is still spreading here too . DH and I just tested positive yesterday and we’re pretty careful!

In my road we have a little community of four houses we dub “friendly neighbours” on the social media group we belong to and of the six of us, three have or have very recently had covid.  Fortunately nobody has been terribly ill with it, but they have not felt at all great.  Of course I used to get colds on the ship, but it does bring it home. Too many times I’ve been under the weather on a cruise and it does temper the enjoyment. In the past I’ve been a hugger. That will change, certainly for now and I will be more careful generally. Covid seems so damn easy to catch.

phil

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Covid seems so damn easy to catch

This latest strain particularly! I thought I had a cold and just took a home test to rule it out and wham! Then Andrew tested positive too. Symptoms not to severe fortunately. We had just had the 2nd booster too! 

7 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Hoping that you gradually recover your strength and will be able to undertake the traditional tasks of spring.

Keep is informed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

This latest strain particularly! I thought I had a cold and just took a home test to rule it out and wham! Then Andrew tested positive too. Symptoms not to severe fortunately. We had just had the 2nd booster too! 

We immediately signed up for the 2nd booster today, our first day of eligibility.

Since this latest strain is so problematic we have cancelled our upcoming cruise. We are just not prepared to put up with the potential of being infected and quarantined in Europe, either on board or in a hotel.

Had we sailed, we would have taken our n95’s and worn them.

Hope you and Andrew have a speedy and complete recovery.

• Like 2

As long as the quarantine hotel has a good internet connection, I'll accept it as part of the price of travel.  Last fall we had a wonderful cruise that ended in Malta, and I had booked a private guide to take us 'In the footsteps of Saint Paul' [Who let us remember, was shipwrecked on Malta.  That trumps any cruise horror story any of us can come up with!] – but we were restricted to the ship's bubble and had to cancel her.  So – 5 days quarantine in a questionable hotel vs shipwreck?  I will survive.

• Like 3

Although I enjoyed my land discovery to Cordoba yesterday I was surprised that on the coach although there were plenty spare seats there was no distancing. Viking last month had marked out the alternative seats. Guests chose to sit close together (when we boarded we put our bag on the seat opposite to give us personal space re the aisle seats). Even more surprising the guide never asked us to mask for the journey (I’d say about 25% did) though once off the coach every place checked we were masked. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, kool kruiser said:

Does this mean that masks are no longer mandatory in any setting on all voyages worldwide ?

We are on Pursuit now and I would say nearly all people are wearing masks except once seated in venues or outside. And this is with only about 250 pax on board. 

• Like 4

I’m OK with anyone wearing a mask who chooses to, or anyone who decides to not travel. However, I am not OK for anyone making others feel guilty for not distancing or wearing masks, especially on vacation. 

IMHO this extends to trying to guilt companies into taking rights away from others…

• Like 2

6 hours ago, uktog said:

Although I enjoyed my land discovery to Cordoba yesterday I was surprised that on the coach although there were plenty spare seats there was no distancing. Viking last month had marked out the alternative seats. Guests chose to sit close together (when we boarded we put our bag on the seat opposite to give us personal space re the aisle seats). Even more surprising the guide never asked us to mask for the journey (I’d say about 25% did) though once off the coach every place checked we were masked. 

Thanks so much for this post!

For those of us who have pre-existing conditions it is helpful to know what is happening on cruises and on Land Discoveries.

I hope this very useful information continues to be shared on this forum.

• Like 4