Age limit for children in hot tubs?

annarack

It's never been adhered to.  I would only let my daughter go in with me when she was about 9. But I think I was the only parent who ever stuck to the rule

Unaccompanied children are always in the hot tubs on Britannia. Even toddlers in swim nappies. 

24 minutes ago, Clodia said:

It's never been adhered to.  I would only let my daughter go in with me when she was about 9. But I think I was the only parent who ever stuck to the rule

Unaccompanied children are always in the hot tubs on Britannia. Even toddlers in swim nappies. 

Yuck.

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, Clodia said:

Plus it’s actually supposed to be dangerous for little ones to use a hot tub 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Clodia said:

I was in a hot tub on Aurora many years ago and two very young children got in when I was the only person in it. No sign of a responsible adult, so I got out as it made me feel very uncomfortable.

• Like 4

On 4/10/2022 at 2:27 PM, Purdey16 said:

On Iona in February/March it was over 8 years with adults ( sign on the side ) but this was not adhered too since 2 / 3 years old were in them .

That's one of the reasons we don't use them🤣

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’m with Sheldon on this one - people soup!

For me a hot tub is like sharing a bath with numerous other people, not something I really want to do.

We feel the same! We had one of our own for many years so have experience of how murky the water could look after only sharing it with a couple of friends! 🤣 We would never use a commercial one again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/10/2022 at 8:01 PM, Snow Hill said:

Medical advise is that children 5 & under should not use a hot tub, places where we have stayed in the past put the age limit higher often under 10. 

23 hours ago, dazlight said:

My girls and and cousin were in the one next to our rooms most days and no issues. Age 13-16 

Teenagers are not under 10 , so would be ok  unless I'm missing something :classic_unsure:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kalos said:

Teenagers are not under 10 , so would be ok  unless I'm missing something :classic_unsure:

As Molecrochip said strictly speaking, the rules probably state 16+ unattended but v rarely adhered to or enforced.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2022 at 8:41 PM, JDB78 said:

As Molecrochip said strictly speaking, the rules probably state 16+ unattended but v rarely adhered to or enforced.

I don't go in the Hot Tub unless it has just opened at 7.30 am .. far too many kids kicking and learning to swim ...as for babies in nappies !!!

2 hours ago, Camberley said:

Ah those hot tubs, with various things festering in the warm water for hours on end. What’s not to love 🤣

Todays quiz answers are ...:classic_smile:

5 diseases you can get from a hot tub
  • Hot tub lung. This infection is caused by a group of bacteria called Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC), which can survive in warm water. ...
  • Hot tub rash. Hot tub rash is caused by the bacteria Pseudomonas aeruginosa. ...
  • Legionella infection. ...
  • Urinary tract infection (UTI) ...
  • Allergic reaction.

Well done if you managed to get all 5  (in quiz ) or in the hot tub :classic_wacko::classic_unsure:

• Haha 11

On 4/30/2022 at 3:51 PM, kalos said:

Todays quiz answers are ...:classic_smile:

5 diseases you can get from a hot tub
  • Hot tub lung. This infection is caused by a group of bacteria called Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC), which can survive in warm water. ...
  • Hot tub rash. Hot tub rash is caused by the bacteria Pseudomonas aeruginosa. ...
  • Legionella infection. ...
  • Urinary tract infection (UTI) ...
  • Allergic reaction.

Well done if you managed to get all 5  (in quiz ) or in the hot tub :classic_wacko::classic_unsure:

In all seriousness though, surely the pools are properly maintained and the water tested at regular intervals. I certainly wouldn't want to be entering a hot tub after a child wearing a nappy but would have thought in general there is a similar risk with hot tubs as the pools or even your local swimming baths?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JDB78 said:

In all seriousness though, surely the pools are properly maintained and the water tested at regular intervals. I certainly wouldn't want to be entering a hot tub after a child wearing a nappy but would have thought in general there is a similar risk with hot tubs as the pools or even your local swimming baths?

The volume of water in a hot tub is considerably less than in a swimming pool.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

But its circulation, and therefore filtration is much higher, and from what I read all cruise ship hot tubs are drained and scrubbed every night. So unless you spend all day in there it seems that any risks will be minor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Additionally the heat of the water encourages any bugs to multiply more quickly than a pool making it even more important that the water is regularly tested and the chemicals used properly regulated - very difficult to do adequately when a tub is constantly used by many different people! 

• Like 2