Quick Medallion Question

travellingnana

Assuming the battery in your medallion is not dying, you just have to get close enough.  If you find the door isn't unlocking when you step up to it, you can touch the medallion to the sensor near the screen to unlock the door.  If that happens repeatedly, you likely need a new medallion.

37 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask a related question. Is the medallion only good for one cruise or can it be reprogrammed to be used on another cruise?

I believe one cruise only. This was mentioned in the Medallion topic.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask a related question. Is the medallion only good for one cruise or can it be reprogrammed to be used on another cruise?

One cruise only. It has your name and the name of the ship along with the date the cruise begins on it.

Just received my first medallion and along the top edge it has my name. Along the lower edge it says Royal Princess May 2, 2022.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, travellingnana said:

How does the medallion open my cabin door?  Do I actually have to touch it to something like a key card, or do I just have to be in close proximity and grab the door handle?

If you just left your stateroom & needed to go back inside just tap your medallion at the bottom at the bottom of your door screen to open your door. The reason you have to do this if you just left is for security reasons 

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton
  • Thanks 2

The medallion unlock actually happens when you’re a few cabins away and appear to be approaching your cabin.  It’s a feature I really appreciate when my hands are full - it just *works*.   If you have to be at the door for the unlock, your battery is failing. 

59 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Assuming the battery in your medallion is not dying, you just have to get close enough.  If you find the door isn't unlocking when you step up to it, you can touch the medallion to the sensor near the screen to unlock the door.  If that happens repeatedly, you likely need a new medallion.

That happened to me near the end of our recent 2 week cruise but continued to tap the screen for the last few days to unlock the door instead of getting a new one from Guest Services.

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

48 minutes ago, trbarton said:

If you just left your stateroom & needed to go back inside just tap your medallion at the bottom at the bottom of your door screen to open your door. The reason you have to do this if you just left is for security reasons 

Tom😀

More helpful info!  Thanks!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CeeCee59 said:

Going on a 25 day cruise next April so I assume that part way into the cruise a new medallion will be required?  Does the replacement have your name on it?

We've recently been on a 20 day B2B and a 21 day B2B cruises and the medallion worked fine throughout each of those cruises.

15 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

The batteries have a life measured in days not weeks, and they’re not field-replaceable.  When the battery dies, the whole thing is e-Waste. 

On our most recent sailing on the Majestic, my husband's medallion was not working properly and they tested the battery and replaced the battery.  It still wasn't working after that so they then replaced the whole medallion.

17 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

It uses a technology called "RFID". Radio Frequency Identification.  If you're interested in more detail...just Google it.

The Medallion uses both RFID which is passive in the Medallion itself and  it also uses BLE (bluetooth low energy).

For those familiar with FCC OET and want to see more the key is 2ANQX. You can find diagrams etc there.

16 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

The batteries have a life measured in days not weeks, and they’re not field-replaceable.  When the battery dies, the whole thing is e-Waste. 

We got our at least two weeks before our cruise and they were good for the entire 10 days.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CeeCee59 said:

Going on a 25 day cruise next April so I assume that part way into the cruise a new medallion will be required?  Does the replacement have your name on it?

The replacement does have your name and sail date on it.  There is no way to know whether you will need a replacement or not during your 25 day cruise.  My understanding is that in my case, a number were sent out that already had bad batteries in January and so this was a very common problem on our February Emerald cruise and the one right before it.  

2 hours ago, Bwana Tom said:

One minor point of clarification: The medallion does not open your cabin door. It only unlocks it.

is the door handle (on the Grand anyway), a lever style that can then be opened with an elbow if my hands are both full with drinks? Asking for a friend 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Her Majesty's medallion would open the door way before she got there.....

Mine would make me wave it and take a few seconds to decide if I am worthy and then open it....

I don't get why this helps if your hands are full because the door may be unlocked by the medallion but you still need to use one hand to open the door.

Edited by FlaMariner

5 hours ago, nunuc2000 said:

is the door handle (on the Grand anyway), a lever style that can then be opened with an elbow if my hands are both full with drinks? Asking for a friend 😉 

Yes.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Her Majesty's medallion would open the door way before she got there.....

Mine would make me wave it and take a few seconds to decide if I am worthy and then open it....

I don't get why this helps if your hands are full because the door may be unlocked by the medallion but you still need to use one hand to open the door.

Could the batteries needed to be changed on yours? I read somewhere else that it could happen.