Farcus Inspired Excel Ship

tx121

5 hours ago, groundloop said:

HELL YEAH!!!!!!

And I don't think the Farcus designed ships are gaudy at all.  People just need to expand their horizons a little bit and appreciate things that are a little 'different'.

Farcus's mind and horizons were expanded by whatever drugs he was taking when he came up with some of his over the top designs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Time moves on. Farcus designs were Post Modern. At the moment it is out of fashion.  Like Art Deco it may eventually see a revival but I think it will be a while yet. 

Ships for better or worse have always reflected  passengers and owners taste at the time. Victorian, Edwardian, Art Deco, Modern and Post Modern. Like or hate them Farcus design seems to show a quality and attention to detail that is unmatched. 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

What is the hallmark of a Farcus design?   I have only been on three "older" ships so I am not familiar with this design. When I googled him, it just looked like a lot of the designs were "over the top" like many design choices were back in the 80s and early 90s.

Ask, and ye shall receive. 

https://www.cruiseandferry.net/articles/in-conversation-with-cruise-ship-design-legend-joe-farcus

I've been on many  Farcus designed ships and can confidently say: been there, done that, time to move on!  Just like art deco and warhol art, it served a purpose in its time, but that's where it should stay, no retro revival.

MG is clean, modern design and a most pleasant change from previous ships.  Let's keep going and not look backwards.

• Like 4

I like the Farcus ships more than most, probably.  With that said... No thank you.

It's a set of neat designs, but I'm overall sick of the "throwback/remake" movement.  Movies are remakes of remakes, cars are remakes of something old, seems like no one has an original idea anymore. I'm excited to see and try new things.  Im looking forward to sailing the new Excell class ships and seeing what new things they bring.  

• Like 4

I am not sure how you could do this without just recreating a sampling of his actual rooms from other ships. IMHO the only thing his ships and rooms have in common is: WILD. His “style” defies a definition. Do a Farcus ship but without being derivative of his actual ships. Hmmmm. 

Further it’s hard to imagine a contemporary interior designer trying to work with an aesthetic that is currently hopelessly out of style. They like to be “on trend” (that phrase is cringe for me) and that leaves the options of sleek, clean, and maybe classic. 

I’m here on Vista and the Liquid Lounge with its textured walls and circles / droplets in a pond look, as well as the Limelight Lounge with its chartreuse and burgundy color scheme are close enough to preserve just a hint of Joe’s inspired legacy. 

14 hours ago, evandbob said:

I've been on many  Farcus designed ships and can confidently say: been there, done that, time to move on!  Just like art deco and warhol art, it served a purpose in its time, but that's where it should stay, no retro revival.

MG is clean, modern design and a most pleasant change from previous ships.  Let's keep going and not look backwards.

Art deco is back.  Big time.  We have been remodeling our home for the last 9 months and art deco is all over the design blogs, magazines, in the stores, etc. 

57 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Art deco is back.  Big time.  We have been remodeling our home for the last 9 months and art deco is all over the design blogs, magazines, in the stores, etc. 

Right, but operative word is back. It’s in style. What Farcus did is NOT.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, groundloop said:

EXACTLY.... That's one of the things I like so well.  

Luckily then you still have double digit choices of his designed ships still in the fleet while those that prefer the style of the Dream Class, Vista Class and Excel Class can enjoy the more modern contemporary or non Pepto Bismol looking schemes of the most recent 7 builds in the fleet.

It had its day and definitely wouldn't be popular now... and from a business sense I wouldn't touch it if I was Carnival.... but me personally?? ALL the way in. Just one ship. This is pure selfish nostalgia on my part, having grown up in the 80s and 90s sailing Farcus ships. They just feel like VACATION to me... I don't want to feel like I'm in a nice living room or the lobby of a Hyatt when I'm on a cruise, but I'm also a guy who loves Vegas, so consider the source. 

That said, maybe one tribute... a "Farcus Lounge" on Jubilee with a bunch of iconic elements thrown in? Sign me up. 

• Like 5

On 4/28/2022 at 7:42 AM, JT1962 said:

Maybe a Scott Farkus from A Christmas Story. Definitely not a design like the original ships.

lol, beat me to it.  "He had yellow eyes, so help me God, yellow EYES!"  😄  

On 4/28/2022 at 10:24 AM, Aplmac said:

My wife always balked at the choice of MDR decor on Carnival Victory.

Who on earth ever combined brown and blue? -and WHY? lol

DiningRoom-950.jpg

DiningRoom-952.jpg

I find your lack of mentioning the infamous nekkid mermaids...not too disturbing.  Those were pretty weird to see in Victory's MDR. 

And let's not forget that giant technicolor neon fish hanging in Victory's aft MDR lobby....   On second thought, yes, let's forget it.   😄  😄  

Edited by Pellaz
added humor...maybe
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pellaz said:

And let's not forget

that giant technicolor neon fish hanging in Victory's aft MDR lobby....

On second thought, yes, let's forget it.   😄  😄  

You didn't like the fish??  ....Awwww... he had yellow eyes!

Fish-485.jpg

FishEye-356.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/28/2022 at 7:21 AM, tx121 said:

Would you be excited if Carnival did a 180 and went back to "its roots" and did a Joe Farcus inspired design for the Carnival Jubilee? 

I think it would be quite interesting and welcome change. Yes it's gaudy and "neon-y" but that's kind of what separated Carnival in the first place from other lines. I do love how the Mardi Gras turned out, but it seems more like a NCL or RCL modern design inside. I think it would be a FUN concept.

What are your thoughts? 

They have 20 other ships with his design...no thanks..

No. I've actually been able to convince friends and coworkers who had only cruised other cruise lines to finally try Carnival after the newer ships started coming on line without the Farcus touches. They were surprised how much they liked Carnival and one told me that the whole "Vegas threw up" decor on some of the ships was what kept him from cruising Carnival for a long time. 

That being said, I don't think all the Farcus ships were bad from pics I've seen. as for the ones I've cruised on, I loved the decor on Valor. I found Triumph to be a bit on the dark side as far as the color schemes he used and was never a fan. Magic was the last ship with any Farcus input, and it was obvious he wasn't in charge. It was easy to see the direction Carnival wanted to go in with Magic and they succeeded with Breeze. Breeze made me feel more like I was in a nice resort as opposed to having fallen down a rabbit hole into Wonderland. 

That fish is not Technicolor, it's Tiffany with a nod to Mondrian.

I like the style on Panorama. Clean, modern, contemporary. In 20 years it will be dated and out of fashion. The future could be Flintstones or Jetsons but no one knows now. 

10 hours ago, csoud68 said:

I believe it's actually 16, with the Splendor in 2008 being the last ship he was involved with.  The three Dream Class, three Vista Class and three Excel Class are Farcus free.

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I believe it's actually 16, with the Splendor in 2008 being the last ship he was involved with.  The three Dream Class, three Vista Class and three Excel Class are Farcus free.

I wasnt exactly sure..i depend on you peeps to correct me.

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Farcus designed Dream. He wasn't the lead designer on Magic but did have some input. Breeze was the first Farcus free ship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I'm surprised to see the decor is apparently such a make or break issue for many people. I might have an opinion about the decor, but to me it's a small thing that wouldn't really impact my decision on which line or ship to cruise.

I'm surprised you would say that. Transferring that to a land vacation,would you rather stay at a Motel 6 or the Four Seasons Hotel? Do you feel they're the same thing? 

Or looking at it another way, would you prefer to stay at hotel which is brand new or one that hasn't been renovated for 15 years?

Edited by kwokpot

3 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I'm surprised you would say that. Transferring that to a land vacation,would you rather stay at a Motel 6 or the Four Seasons Hotel? Do you feel they're the same thing? 

Or looking at it another way, would you prefer to stay at hotel which is brand new or one that hasn't been renovated for 15 years?

Absolute non sequitur. There are plenty of differences between a Motel 6 and a Four Seasons. We are just talking about decor here.

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
14 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I choose Motel Six, they leave a light on for you.

On 4/28/2022 at 7:21 AM, tx121 said:

Would you be excited if Carnival did a 180 and went back to "its roots" and did a Joe Farcus inspired design for the Carnival Jubilee? 

I think it would be quite interesting and welcome change. Yes it's gaudy and "neon-y" but that's kind of what separated Carnival in the first place from other lines. I do love how the Mardi Gras turned out, but it seems more like a NCL or RCL modern design inside. I think it would be a FUN concept.

What are your thoughts?