I got covid on my Hawaii cruise on the Koningsdam, how about you?

homercrispy

i am double vaxxed and boosted and still got covid on the 6th day of my hawaii cruise. these were all sea days so the only people i was near were ship people.

i paid $250 for a negative covid test to get on the ship, so how is this possible?

the ship announced that there were some covid cases onboard but no numbers were announced.   a lady i met today said that her family was positive and was quarantined on the 4th floor.

so if you got covid on the ship let me know.  we did not tell anyone we were positive, but self quarantined.

I am sorry - but if you were positive and self quarantined without telling anyone  - you were part of the problem because your silence prevented proper mitigation measures to prevent spread of your illness to others on board. 

Did housekeeping enter your room during your illness?  They were not properly protected nor were your dirty towels and sheets properly sanitized.  Was your room sanitized as it should be after you tested negative?  Are you sure you were negative when you released yourselves from your self quarantine?

did room service that brought you your food enter your room to deliver meals and handle your dishes without proper protection and sanitation?

I am so sorry that you were ill on your cruise vacation. Though you were negative when you boarded you could have been harboring the virus already from exposure during travel to the ship but not yet positive.   Or, just as likely, you caught it on board. But you could have done more to prevent others from exposure.

• Like 43
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, homercrispy said:

still got covid on the 6th day of my hawaii cruise

The incubation period (exposure to symptoms) can be up to 14 days.  It's quite possible for you to have tested negative to board, but have actually gotten the virus before that.  You are contagious for at least 2 days prior to symptoms showing up, so "self-isolation"  and not telling anyone you were positive may not have been your best course

• Like 11

When was this $250 test? 48-72 hours prior to boarding? If so, you might have been exposed enroute to the ship...so you might have brought it on board...possibly.

So if you didn't declare yourself to the ship's staff, how do you know you had Covid? Did you bring a self test and use it?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, homercrispy said:

i am double vaxxed and boosted and still got covid on the 6th day of my hawaii cruise. these were all sea days so the only people i was near were ship people.

i paid $250 for a negative covid test to get on the ship, so how is this possible?

the ship announced that there were some covid cases onboard but no numbers were announced.   a lady i met today said that her family was positive and was quarantined on the 4th floor.

so if you got covid on the ship let me know.  we did not tell anyone we were positive, but self quarantined.

I hope you are feeling better. There have been quite a few posts about covid numbers being high lately. You may have better luck with you question on social media. 

I’m grabbing popcorn :). 

• Like 2

What's the point in bashing the original poster over her stateroom and sheets/plates not being sanitized????  This is a respiratory illness, not a surface spread virus like a norovirus.  The fact that everyone on the ship is fully vaccinated, and have the option of wearing a mask if they choose to hope for extra protection, someone becoming positive shouldn't be treated as if they've got some plague that will likely wipe out a significant portion of the ship's population 😉  Sorry, we need to get past the hype & drama of someone having covid and treat it like what we'd hope to see when someone has a cold, flue, or other virus.  Stay away from other people - the original poster did that.  I'm assuming she wasn't sick to the point of needing medical care, just as most of the vaccinated people who catch the virus are.  Is it fun? No.  Is it convenient on a vacation? No.  Is it something that should mean you have to be whisked away to an isolation room and eat from paper/cardboard boxes for the next 5 days? No.  I understand the CDC recommendations are out there and the reasons the cruise lines choose to comply, but it's ridiculous at this stage.  Hopefully it'll change relatively soon.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

What about respecting the crew who serve you, clean your room, wash your sheets and dishes?

they are working because they need the money. Not choosing the roll the dice in order to have a pleasure trip. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

What's the point in bashing the original poster over her stateroom and sheets/plates not being sanitized????  This is a respiratory illness, not a surface spread virus like a norovirus.  The fact that everyone on the ship is fully vaccinated, and have the option of wearing a mask if they choose to hope for extra protection, someone becoming positive shouldn't be treated as if they've got some plague that will likely wipe out a significant portion of the ship's population 😉  Sorry, we need to get past the hype & drama of someone having covid and treat it like what we'd hope to see when someone has a cold, flue, or other virus.  Stay away from other people - the original poster did that.  I'm assuming she wasn't sick to the point of needing medical care, just as most of the vaccinated people who catch the virus are.  Is it fun? No.  Is it convenient on a vacation? No.  Is it something that should mean you have to be whisked away to an isolation room and eat from paper/cardboard boxes for the next 5 days? No.  I understand the CDC recommendations are out there and the reasons the cruise lines choose to comply, but it's ridiculous at this stage.  Hopefully it'll change relatively soon.

Sue/WDW1972

Maybe on land it not as big of a deal but a ship is a different matter.  I read on a different board that the koningsdam may have to be parked for two weeks without passengers because the covid numbers are so high.  In recent times it was green for weeks on end.  Would you like to go without income for two weeks due to someone else’s negligence.  I wouldn’t.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

What's the point in bashing the original poster over her stateroom and sheets/plates not being sanitized???? 

I believe that's the protocol for positive cases onboard.  Just because someone doesn't agree that such procedures are warranted, doesn't mean that they shouldn't abide by the "rules".

• Like 11

1 minute ago, oakridger said:

Okay, thread drifting even further........aren't all linens and dishware sanitized as part of everyday cleaning processes?

Linens are washed and dried at very high temps - I would assume that sanitizes anything.  For sure the dishes going through the dish machine each day are fully sanitized.  Not that anyone's going to catch covid from a sheet or plate 😉

Sue

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I read on a different board that the koningsdam may have to be parked for two weeks without passengers because the covid numbers are so high.

If suspect this is a great exaggeration, but I've come to believe that anything is possible. The Ruby Princess has over 250 positive cases reported. If this pause comes to fruition, it will very likely be a kiss of death.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

"Linens are washed and dried at very high temps - I would assume that sanitizes anything.  For sure the dishes going through the dish machine each day are fully sanitized.  Not that anyone's going to catch covid from a sheet or plate 😉"

Sue"

Thanks Sue, I asked something about that on another thread because I was wondering why HAL/CDC were using paper plates and utensils for positive Covid pax in isolation. Didn't get an answer there. Some other cruise lines have reverted back to real dinnerware and wine glasses for isolation rooms!

Edited by oakridger

HAL follows CDC rules.  You were told in writing while on the ship where to report if you were not feeling well.  You knew you were ill.  The air in your cabin was unsafe to anyone providing service to you.

You broke the rules and your photo and city of residence are clearly evident.  I hope HAL puts you on the “no sail list”.  

2 hours ago, homercrispy said:

• Like 13

43 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

Sue/WDW1972

I don’t often disagree with you but on this one I do, respectfully.

Yes, it is mostly respiratory but you do need to be careful about touching things that have just been touched and not touch your face, etc right after.  Trust me - the hospital doesn’t sanitize for no reason.

And since it’s respiratory as you so correctly point out, anyone coming in contact with them is at risk (like room service, cabin stewards) and then put others at risk.  I don’t think the OP and partner are sitting in their cabin masked 24 hours a day.

If the OP didn’t report, then there can be no contact tracing and who knows who else contracted it?

Sorry but as someone who has had to gown, glove & goggle or shield along with my mask for too many months to see DH I have no tolerance for people who don’t report.  This is NOT just a cold, flu or virus, sorry.  Death rates are high in the vulnerable.

I have no tolerance for anyone who doesn’t play ball when it comes to the covid rules.  I’ve been playing ball for far too long because of others that didn’t & kept the numbers high in the hospital and the staff shorted due to outages from covid.  Sorry, but this is dear and near to my heart.

• Like 45
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

If suspect this is a great exaggeration, but I've come to believe that anything is possible. The Ruby Princess has over 250 positive cases reported. If this pause comes to fruition, it will very likely be a kiss of death.

I questioned the person and they didn’t like it one bit.  I asked how they knew and she told me they are in constant contact with someone on the ship that is quarantined.  She also said the captain gave a talk saying they are in code red and all wearing masks except indoors.  I have a friend on the ship right now for 6 weeks total but they don’t do internet so zero info or contact.  It will be interesting to hear the goods from my friend once she resurfaces.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I questioned the person and they didn’t like it one bit.  I asked how they knew and she told me they are in constant contact with someone on the ship that is quarantined.  She also said the captain gave a talk saying they are in code red and all wearing masks except indoors.  I have a friend on the ship right now for 6 weeks total but they don’t do internet so zero info or contact.  It will be interesting to hear the goods from my friend once she resurfaces.

If I had a nickle for every rumor on a cruise ship I maybe able to play enough slots to get a 'free' cruise invite. Just friendly teasing of course, I couldn't resist 🙂 .

According to the CDC they are orange not red. If the CDC defines them as red, the Koningsham will have the honor of the first CDC code red in the industry, at which point I believe they could be shuttered for 2 week.

Of course, the captain could mean a different type of code red than the CDC guidelines. All this is still so fluid and hard for everyone to keep up with.

PS: I think you may have meant to say "all wearing masks except outdoors". I only mention this because there is still time for you to edit.

image.png.7cb00bb015a32bab441fad087e0f25c8.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I'm lost...you questioned "the person" that reported which part of this discussion?  I like, kazu, have jumped thru hoops over the last two years.  We have travelled and taken more PCR tests than I have fingers and toes to count.  This is not the first world problem of "oh, my port was changed" but a serious problem.  If you have Covid just acknowledge it.  Be considerate of others around you.  Deciding to quarantine yourself does not give others that may come in contact with you the opportunity to take precautions or keep safe.  Selfish, selfish, selfish and not a first world problem.  Putting others in danger is not like having your port changed.  JMO. Cherie   

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

homercrispy - How did you find room service for all of your meals?   If you found out you had Covid on day 6, you stayed quarantined for how many days before retesting?  Hopefully you had a balcony.  Did you bring self tests on board so that you knew you were positive?   I have a self test in my carry on but have not used it yet. Cherie  

To the OP - you should be ashamed of yourself! You should report to medical immediately so they can properly quarantine you. You are possibly infecting others - even if you are staying in your cabin 100% of the time. Have you denied all room service? What about the people that clean your room every day? Are you wearing a mask while they are in your room? Seems like you are a very selfish person and don't care about others.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The Ruby Princess was in Astoria Oregon on Monday. I just happened to be in Astoria thrift shopping that day. There were many people onshore from the ship and doing tours around town. It was notable because all cruise ship passengers had masks on while most residents did not. made me wonder if the masks were a ship/town requirement. Not sure this has any bearing on anything other than we saw the Ruby a few days ago and it appeared business as usual. 

Edited by Andi Land