Has anyone used Alaska Air to get to their cruise port?

Crown Cruiser

LIving in New Jersey, we mostly fly United.  Their prices to LA in the fall are really high so I looked at Alaska Air.  They were very reasonable, (even first class). Could anyone who flies this airline share their thoughts (good or bad)?

Thanks for any help with this.😃

I'd fly Alaska any day over United.    Alaska's first class isn't the best, but it beats the heck out of Economy!    Always my biggest concern is if the flight cancels and there is no other Alaska flight to switch to.    

• Like 1

Alaska is always our first line of choice- domestically and Canada. As far as flight cancellations go, Alaska belongs to the "One World Alliance" and has many flying partners.

• Like 2

Please read the attached.

While the publicity piece is saying things will be done better, we decided  not to use Alaska Air for any of our travel needs for the end of June/start of July 2022.

Depending on your travel plans, you may wish to consider if Alaska Air will meet your needs.

https://news.alaskaair.com/alaska-airlines/operations/spring-operation-update/

• Like 1

We fly Alaska.  We are on the West Coast,  so more flights here.  First class is nice but yes American/United is nicer, and more expensive usually. We even use them to Hawaii.   We have for years.  You can also buy gift cards at that large warehouse store.   $500.00 for $449.00.   I even saw them in the warehouse for $399.00 recently.  There have been some recent  problems, though, as. @Homosassapoints out.  Our upcoming August return was cancelled, but we got a replacement quickly.  @niniis correct the “One World Alliance” has a large footprint.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Please read the attached.

While the publicity piece is saying things will be done better, we decided  not to use Alaska Air for any of our travel needs for the end of June/start of July 2022.

Depending on your travel plans, you may wish to consider if Alaska Air will meet your needs.

https://news.alaskaair.com/alaska-airlines/operations/spring-operation-update/

So true, they are navigating themselves out of a strike. However, they have always been our favorite line. Mind you, we are not experienced flyers though.

• Like 1

Flown Alaska Airlines a number of times.   I don't find them any better or worse than most other airlines we have flown domestically.    Overall we do like them.  

• Like 1

I fly Alaska Air and Southwest almost exclusively.  I live in Northern California so usually lots of flights are available.  

I tend to go with Alaskan Air due to something that happened many years ago while traveling with young kids.  I got stranded at the airport in Seattle after United cancelled a flight while traveling without my husband.  I had a difficult time finding a flight home and received horrible customer service from United.  Finally got a flight on Alaskan but had about a six hour layover.  I had a crying baby in one arm and a three year old pulling on the other.  Woman at the counter told me that she could see I needed a break.  Walked me up to the first class Alaskan Air lounge (toting my carryons) and let me stay until my flight left.  She also arranged assistance for me to get to the gate.

That was 22 years ago.  I’ve not flown United since but am Elite on Alaska Air.  

• Like 6

I fly Alaska a lot.  Like, I can tell you which breakfast pastries appear on which days in the lounge.  

Their transcon F product is not lie-flat but it is quite decent. The food is head and shoulders above any domestic F aside from AA Flagship on the two routes you can buy it. 

AS is having the same problems as all airlines right now - they sold schedules based on the belief they could hire, train and retain enough pilots between when they sold the flight and when they had to operate it.  Chickens home to roost. 

The nonstop flights to SEA/SFO/LAX/SAN from the East Coast are not at nearly as much risk as flights where there are eight a day in the market and they cancel one. The only long-hauls they’ve definitively furloughed for awhile are the ANC-Hawaii runs. 

One quirk:  F free baggage limits are 50lb per bag, not 70. 

One cool thing:  unlike other carriers, paid F entitles you to complimentary lounge access on both ends of your journey if AS operates the lounge in that market.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

I fly Alaska a lot.  Like, I can tell you which breakfast pastries appear on which days in the lounge.  

Their transcon F product is not lie-flat but it is quite decent. The food is head and shoulders above any domestic F aside from AA Flagship on the two routes you can buy it. 

AS is having the same problems as all airlines right now - they sold schedules based on the belief they could hire, train and retain enough pilots between when they sold the flight and when they had to operate it.  Chickens home to roost. 

The nonstop flights to SEA/SFO/LAX/SAN from the East Coast are not at nearly as much risk as flights where there are eight a day in the market and they cancel one. The only long-hauls they’ve definitively furloughed for awhile are the ANC-Hawaii runs. 

One quirk:  F free baggage limits are 50lb per bag, not 70. 

One cool thing:  unlike other carriers, paid F entitles you to complimentary lounge access on both ends of your journey if AS operates the lounge in that market.  

uummmmmm  what is 'transcon F product'  and let me add they are STRICT on that 50 lbs. We flew Alaska 4 years ago to and from Seattle on Alaska Air and my husband's luggage was 5 lbs over and he had to take 5 lbs out and put in his back pack. I prefer Southwest...but had no real complaints with Alaska Air.

I like to fly Alaska First Class because they include lounge access, where American, Delta, United do not (unless you fly Flagship routes), and those are significantly more expensive than Alaska. Their new lounge in Seattle is wonderful. 

• Like 1

Alaska is the main airline here in the NW and our favorite. We’ve flown them multiple times. They do have a vote regarding a pilot strike coming up later this month, so that’s something to consider if you’re flying soon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ImperialLady said:

uummmmmm  what is 'transcon F product'  and let me add they are STRICT on that 50 lbs. We flew Alaska 4 years ago to and from Seattle on Alaska Air and my husband's luggage was 5 lbs over and he had to take 5 lbs out and put in his back pack. I prefer Southwest...but had no real complaints with Alaska Air.

Airlines have been getting "stricter" with weight since it cost more fuel to fly a heavier plane.  I have seen people at the airport re-sorting luggage for Southwest, Hawaiian, and other domestic airlines.  

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Airlines have been getting "stricter" with weight since it cost more fuel to fly a heavier plane.  I have seen people at the airport re-sorting luggage for Southwest, Hawaiian, and other domestic airlines.  

Same amount of weight on the plane when stuff gets moved from one suitcase to another or to a backpack.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, caribill said:

Same amount of weight on the plane when stuff gets moved from one suitcase to another or to a backpack.

I was told that the crew were not to handle luggage over 50 lbs due to contractual language.  I travel lightly (and weigh before arriving at the airport) but I was with my mom once where she had about 15 lbs to redistribute…..  After that, I bought her a travel scale!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

I was told that the crew were not to handle luggage over 50 lbs due to contractual language.

Yet they will handle it once you pay extra for overweight luggage.

• Like 1

Any time we fly to and within AK, we use Alaska.  I should add that if for example you want to fly to or from a place like Wrangell, you don't have a lot of other options.  I will be doing my 1st post Covid flight on them in a few months.

DON

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Yet they will handle it once you pay extra for overweight luggage.

They put a special tag on it, so the baggage handlers can see it's overweight.  We had one once.  Had to be handled differently, at one point taken from baggage cart directly into baggage claim on a dolly, not put on the carousel.

• Like 1

They also team-lift bags over 50.  

my point was that, unlike some other carriers, paid F comp bags don’t go all the way to 70 pounds on Alaska, not the basic economics of checked baggage fees

19 hours ago, caribill said:

Unless both suitcases are overweight.  Then what if you can't "redistribute" weight.  Or you are only traveling with one bag.  You pay the overage fee that will help the airlines with paying their fuel bill. 

Don't get me wrong, I have been against paying for luggage from day 1.  Who goes on vacation without luggage (granted there are those that can pack in a carry on/not me).  This is a huge money maker for airlines...think billions $$$.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 11:45 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I got caught recently on a SW flight and had to shift few things between bags. That was when checking the bag inside the airport. Return flight, decided to use curbside checkin. Oops, over again by  few pounds. Guy checking me in says "52 lbs, close enough" and on we go. Yes he got a nice tip!

• Like 2