The Daily for Sunday 05/01/2022

richwmn

Today is Hawaiian Lei Day, Loyalty Day, and May Day

There is no pretending, Jace said with absolute clarity. I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I'll love you then.--Cassandra Clare, City of Glass

Meal Suggestion for today - Mexican Wedding Cakes
Drink of the Day - Burgundy
Wine of the Day - Highlands 41 2019 Black Granite Red (Paso Robles)
Destination of the Day - Omaezaki, Japan JPOMZ

Ships With Passengers

Amsterdam, Netherlands North Holland

Rotterdam   07:00 - 17:00

At Sea Pacific

Eurodam   Destination Juneau, Alaska
Koningsdam   Destination Juneau, Alaska

Barcelona, Spain

Nieuw Statendam   07:00 - 17:00

Glacier Bay, Alaska

Zuiderdam   07:00 - 16:00

Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica

Noordam   07:00 - 17:00

Vancouver, BC CA

Nieuw Amsterdam
07:00:00 16:30:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Catania, IT

Oosterdam  

Great Stirrup Cay, BS

Zaandam   Anchorage

Long Beach, CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

0501World.thumb.png.e4a94558cd461b480e33f049fc7c553b.png
Edited by richwmn
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 12

Each day I present this thread with a group of 3 things to celebrate. These are chosen from two online lists that I found a long time ago. Many days it is difficult to chose which 3 out of many suggestions. Some times others will mention one of the other days to recognize.

Today I present a longer list, mostly to show what is suggested for today, but also because several of the suggestions have ties to particular posters on this thread.

Couple Appreciation Day
Executive Coaching Day
Frequent Flyer Day
Global Love Day
International Bereaved Mother's Day
International Permaculture Day
International Workers' Day
Keep Kids Alive Drive 25 Day
Lemonade Day
Loyalty Day
May Day for Mutts
Mother Goose Day
Motorcycle Mass and Blessing of the Bikes Day
National Chocolate Parfait Day
National Purebread Dog Day
New Homeowners Day
School Principals' Day
Silver Star Service Banner Day
Therapeutic Massage Awareness Day
World Laughter Day
Worthy Wage Day

Rich

• Like 25
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for the May Day Daily, Rich.  I wonder if @aliaschief  or DW is wearing a Lei today.    Loyalty is important.  I love the quote and have been to a number of Japanese ports but not Omaezaki,    The meal sounds like a nice treat but not really a meal.  My alternative is Apple Pear, and Cucumber Sald, Surf & Turf (just turf for me) and Almond and Orange Cake as served on MS Nieuw Statendam May Day 3 years ago:

dishes0501.jpg

When I brought up the photo I was mystified by the yellow stuff but it's truffle polenta.

Today’s care list:

Jose’s final days
RIP Sgt. Bishop Evans

JazzyV and 1Angelcat facing expensive medicines
Lady Hudson SIL moved to less appropriate facility
Cruzin Terri  post covid fatigue
1Angelcat’s church closing
From the rotation:
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
Marshhawk offline until 5/10
Ukraine

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome back rsldonk
Volendam housing refugees
8 BHB with guests
summer slope with DD and DGS
Dismomx5 in Cairo  meeting new toddler and baby
Aliaschief and DW in Hawaii
A good outing for Sam
NextOne on River Cruise
Promising new Neurologist for 1Angelcat
Family time for smitty34877
Welcome home Norseh2o
Horizon Chaser 1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/4),   Cruzin Terri (Nautica  to 5 /5), oceansaway17 (Symphony OTS to 5/7). rsldonk (Eurodam to 5/7), jawhawk66 and  sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to  5/8), and leafsnation (Noordam to 5/15)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 10

Today's sunrise is from my spring 2017 sequence of cruises with the final leg Crystal Symphony San Diego to New York.  May Day  was a sea day between San Diego and Puerto Vallarta:

dawn0501.jpg

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds interesting I’ll wait for @dfish recipes to decide.  I had a coupon for a pork roast at .99 lb so that is marinating for today’s dinner.  I like the extended list of celebrations, Loyalty day sticks out as one to celebrate.  Today promises to get up to 70 so I will be working in the yard after my trip to Aldi.  Mona has decided it’s fun to tap me on the head and then purr in my ear.  That’s cute until you realize it’s 3am😂

• Like 21
  • Haha 3

Rabbit  Rabbit  White Rabbit

Happy May Day, thanks for the Daily Report.

So many things to celebrate, thanks for the reminder.

Love the quote.

Mexican wedding cakes and a glass of burgundy, sounds good to me. 😉

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 19
  • Haha 2

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.  

Good morning, everyone.  It is a gray sky this morning with rain forecast all day.  I enjoyed the trip to the quilt show yesterday.  So many beautiful pieces!   In some quilts it is the piecing that really stands out.  In others, it is the quilting itself.  Today is back to the pool and then I have to work to get my next quilt cut out to take to the quilt retreat later this week.  I'll get a good start on it there.  

Today we're having dessert for dinner.  Always a welcome treat.  This would be great after Roy's dinner suggestion.   Mexican Wedding Cakes are a melt-in-your mouth shortbread cookie that goes by many names; a Russian Tea Cake, an Italian Butter Nut, a Southern Pecan Butterball, a Snowdrop, a Viennese Sugar Ball and a Snowball. They are very popular, not only during the Christmas season, but also at weddings, christenings, and other festive occasions. Looking at these cookies you could mistake them for Melting Moments, as the only difference between the two is that Mexican Wedding Cakes contain ground nuts (either ground pecans, hazelnuts, almonds, or walnuts).   https://www.joyofbaking.com/Mexican Wedding Cakes.html

1354393674_mexicanweddingcake1.thumb.jpg.63b668265d89a2304e167bc3ecff5112.jpg

Here is a great history of Mexican Wedding Cakes (Cookies).https://ice.edu/blog/mexican-wedding-cookies

1567763564_mexicanweddingcake2.jpg.ed633611f6f26c3d13fdf472baf3ff76.jpg

I know some of us were looking for a real cake.  Here you go:  https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/dessert/cake/mexican-wedding-cake-2.html

962883204_mexicanweddingcake3.jpg.3a58d621ccb00d5dff2bac18d008ee6f.jpg

Or, you can do individual cupcakes.  That eliminates having to cut the cake and serve it.  People just come get their own cupcake.  This one looks like a nice blend of the actual cake and the cookie.  

https://www.imperialsugar.com/recipes/mexican-wedding-cake-cupcakes

12689999_mexicanweddingcake4.jpg.6bf5c5ecd547f1ff3dc554aa6685f6d4.jpg

And here is a variation for the chocolate lovers among us.  https://www.verybestbaking.com/toll-house/recipes/chocolate-chip-mexican-wedding-cakes/

827323798_mexicanweddingcake6.jpg.a1648fa852dfd2ed7a09eca8f38cc61a.jpg

There is no recipe that goes with the next picture, but it is a nice Mexican wedding cake.  

2001523699_mexicanweddingcake5.thumb.jpg.ccec1861f6a897851bb123ae91351a3a.jpg

Prayers for all in need, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.  Please keep Jacqui close in our thoughts and pray that Jose is comfortable and at peace.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.  Wishing everyone a wonderful day.  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

Good afternoon from lovely Barcelona.  

Thank you Rich and Roy for the lists.

As noted, today is May Day (International Workers’ Day) and everyone is celebrating here in Barcelona.  There are parades and demonstrations and people at the waterfront and everything is CLOSED!

Jim and I went out for a walk.  We had nothing special planned for today because we were here before the start of our cruise and were just going to see how we felt.  We are docked at the North Terminal right near the statue of Christopher Columbus.  We were going to take the lift up, but it is closed for renovation.  Took a look at the items for sale at the flea market and realized that it was stuff from everyone’s attic.  Don’t need or want it.

We strolled back to the ship and are resting for the afternoon.

We are keeping all in our prayers.  Most especially @kazu Jacqui and Jose.  These are hard days and you are near and dear to our hearts.  You are first on our prayer list.

@smitty34877 What a nice gesture from DS and it certainly will be a big help in caring for Tana.  You get special remembrance every day for your labor of love.

I am getting stronger every day.  I am finding that getting some fresh air and even a short walk outside is helping.  I wish my appetite would cooperate, but not yet.  Still working on that.

We disembark in Civitavecchia on Thursday and will spend a week in Rome.  Maybe some good Italian food and being in the land of my heritage will perk me up.  We shall see!

Tomorrow we are in Marseille.  We originally had a private tour booked to Aix-en-Provence, which we cancelled when another couple asked us to share a car with them.  After we became ill, they decided they wanted to go alone, even after we tested negative.  Guess they are afraid of being too close to us.  I don’t know.

We will see how we feel.  If we are up to it, we may just take a taxi and go by ourselves for the day.  It is such a pretty place and we hope we can do it. We will see.

As for now I am signing off.  Hope everyone is having a wonderful day and staying healthy.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Anybody know where a bunch of the posts went?

Just what I was thinking.

The same has happened on a few other threads I posted on.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 11

3 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I know I posted earlier after Debbie did and don't see mine here either.   Wonder if they'll show up?  There was a problem with the website right around that time, but for them to post and then disappear later is just weird!  I know I saw your post but where is it now?

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

i tried to post my message and got an error message.  Before i posted there were a lot more messages.  When I finally could get back my message was still there, but unposted.  However, all the messages that were there before were gone.  I was then able to post my message.  Something strange going on.

Terri

• Like 14

If you look at Debbie's post it says it was posted 3 hours ago, then Terri's said 16 minutes ago.  That's a long time for people to post and then have them disappear like that.  Come on Cruise Critic, get it together!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Rabbit, rabbit. White rabbit.

Greetings from Bruges. Today we took the train to Ghent for a walking tour of the old city, which was lovely. Also got to experience some of the May Day demonstrations. I couldn't read most of the banners, but they certainly are passionate about the issues! Tomorrow we go to A'dam to board the river cruise ship.

• Like 19

Just now, StLouisCruisers said:

If you look at Debbie's post it says it was posted 3 hours ago, then Terri's said 16 minutes ago.  That's a long time for people to post and then have them disappear like that.  Come on Cruise Critic, get it together!

According to what I see, this post says #1 in the upper right corner, the post immediately above is post #17.  I think Cruise Critic is having issues.

• Like 11

Just now, StLouisCruisers said:

You’re right.  When I started my post there were messages between Debbie’s post and what I was going to post.  But then CC would not let me post.  It gave me an error message.  I could not get back on for about 10 minutes.  When I did, the other posts were gone.  Strange.

• Like 13

I'll summarize mine:

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.

Reclaiming the deck today

Getting my booster

Prayers for Jose and Jacqui @kazu

Burgers and corn on the BBQ for dinner.

And wine.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

LOL

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 25

Good morning everyone. Definitely a day for prayers for everyone needing them and those who don’t know yet that they need it. Hope everyone has something to celebrate. Susan

• Like 19

Good afternoon.

It is 59°F and partly sunny.

We had a nice church service this morning then we went to the beach and sat in the car for an hour before going to the garden centre and are now home in the garden.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich and Roy for the various lists.

Nice days about holidays.

A quote that I think we all say to our partners.

Prayers for Jacqui and Jose and everyone on the care list.

Take care and stay safe friends.

Graham.

16514154751616266429883503921009.jpg

• Like 21

29 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I've been trying to get on the sit for almost four hours. It kept saying the site was unavailable. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 13