Our Sabatini's Experience YMMV

Actually, you're mileage will definitely vary. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, preference, etc.

We'd never tried Sabatini's and decided now was the time.

The appetizer consisted of 2 triangles of bread (I read a review that more than one was a "belly buster" and understand why...they were the best part of the meal. The bread came w/a dipping sauce and IIRC some type of pancetta (?).

Antipasti - saw several very favorable reviews on CC, so ordered that. Terrible. One bite of the cheese was more than enough. The tomatoes that the cheese sat on were OK, so I ate them. DH took one bite of his and stopped.

Soup/Salad - skipped this item. Didn't see anything that was worth the calories.

Pasta - DH got the spaghetti. He said the spaghetti on the kid's menu is better. I got the Porcini Mushroom Risotto - I love mushroom and I like risotto...this did not impress. It was blah. I ate less than 1/2 of it.

Second Piatti - DH skipped this altogether, he didn't see anything that he wanted to try. I got the Sole Picatta. It was OK. Again, not any better than I've had in the MDR.

Dessert - We ordered one sampler to share. DH took one look and didn't even bother. I tasted each one and that was enough for me.

We didn't complain for some reason (I'm a great complainer 😁...when it's warranted). We just left.

Apparently, the staff figured out that we weren't exactly overwhelmed. The charge never showed up on our folio while we were onboard and when we got our final folio & billing on credit card, we weren't charged.

Don't forget!! I said at the outset...Your Mileage May Vary and almost certainly will.

• Thanks 1

Just curious, did you not check the menu before making the reservation?  You noted that there were a couple of courses either you or your husband didn't find anything to your liking.  Anyway, sorry you didn't enjoy your experience.  At least there was no cost.

For us, we have always enjoyed Sabatini's.

• Like 4

You should have tried the citrus salad.  I have not, but everyone who has ... has raved about it.  

Thanks for sharing your review.  I was not a convert to Sabatini's before my March cruises.  It's always been...your turn to choose, okay.  I must admit that the two times I did dine there, it was enough to say that I would return again.  

Love the carbonara (who doesn't like bacon)

Cheese bread (without the anchovy) was really good/fried zucchini was okay

Deep fried calamari is similar to the one in the MDR.  Presentation was beautiful

Veal was not good.  Sole was delicious

Tiramisu was pure espresso....wow...pop

I must admit that service was fantastic because I knew him.  I got a little bit of this and a little bit of that extra. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, msmoger said:

Just curious, did you not check the menu before making the reservation?  You noted that there were a couple of courses either you or your husband didn't find anything to your liking.  Anyway, sorry you didn't enjoy your experience.  At least there was no cost.

For us, we have always enjoyed Sabatini's.

Checked the menu. Lots there that looked like something we'd eat...turned out we were wrong.

What ship was this?

I beginning to wonder what happen to all the old chefs that Princess once employed. We had 2 different dishes at Gigi's on the Enchanted and they were only OK but no where's near as good as they once were at Alfredo's. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Actually, you're mileage will definitely vary. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, preference, etc.

We'd never tried Sabatini's and decided now was the time.

The appetizer consisted of 2 triangles of bread (I read a review that more than one was a "belly buster" and understand why...they were the best part of the meal. The bread came w/a dipping sauce and IIRC some type of pancetta (?).

Antipasti - saw several very favorable reviews on CC, so ordered that. Terrible. One bite of the cheese was more than enough. The tomatoes that the cheese sat on were OK, so I ate them. DH took one bite of his and stopped.

Soup/Salad - skipped this item. Didn't see anything that was worth the calories.

Pasta - DH got the spaghetti. He said the spaghetti on the kid's menu is better. I got the Porcini Mushroom Risotto - I love mushroom and I like risotto...this did not impress. It was blah. I ate less than 1/2 of it.

Second Piatti - DH skipped this altogether, he didn't see anything that he wanted to try. I got the Sole Picatta. It was OK. Again, not any better than I've had in the MDR.

Dessert - We ordered one sampler to share. DH took one look and didn't even bother. I tasted each one and that was enough for me.

We didn't complain for some reason (I'm a great complainer 😁...when it's warranted). We just left.

Apparently, the staff figured out that we weren't exactly overwhelmed. The charge never showed up on our folio while we were onboard and when we got our final folio & billing on credit card, we weren't charged.

Don't forget!! I said at the outset...Your Mileage May Vary and almost certainly will.

It would be helpful to state which ship this occurred on and in which month.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

The burrata *is* delicious but it is waaaaaay too big for one diner, and I say this as someone whose pants are best described as “gourmand-sized”.  

Agree…my wife & I split the burrata and the fried calamari as our antipasti. 

25 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Sure. Discovery April 24-29.

I agree.  I've eaten at Sabatini's on many a ship and I thought that it didn't measure up on the Discovery.  Very disappointing.  I will keep going on other ships though.  

• Thanks 1

Try Crown Grill & GiGis on Discovery. Excellent food & service.

I was disappointed in Sabatinis on the Sky in December 2019. Just not what I was use to in the past.

Discovery April 3-10. always ask the waiter/waitress what to recommend. 
we enjoyed the meal. Everything tasty and presented well. I had the seafood broth wrapped in parchment which was delicious. The dessert sampler was the best on the ship.

It is interesting to me that they were not charged. Must have reaked with unhappiness. Wonder if others in the restaurant were as unhappy. 

Sabatinis was ok for me.  I wish they would have tablecloths though.  Really takes away from the “fine dining” feeling.  The room feels cold and unwelcoming to me.  I wonder what the thought was when they took them away.  

22 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

8 hours ago, CU64 said:

It is interesting to me that they were not charged. Must have reaked with unhappiness. Wonder if others in the restaurant were as unhappy. 

Op - Was this your 'full suite' specialty dinner perk?  I've noticed that you mentioned being in a full suite in other threads.

Alfredos on Majestic last November was fabulous.  In April on Discovery, Gigi's (same menu) was terrible.  Sabatini's on Discovery was totally unimpressive.  Food was average or below in comparison to our previous Sabatinis experiences on other ships. Just our opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DiRonT said:

Alfredos on Majestic last November was fabulous.  In April on Discovery, Gigi's (same menu) was terrible.

Same thing on the Enchanted. Gogi's was just not as good as the Regal and Royal. Different cooks, different recipe.

We were planning to go there multiple times in our B2B but only went twice and it was the same each time. Just not the way we liked it previously.