Jewelry Stores

linaka625

I'm going on my first Alaska cruise and I'd like to purchase a whale tail necklace.  I'll be stopping in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway.  Can anyone recommend a jewelry store in one of these ports?  I'd like to spend about $500-$700.  

TIA.

• Like 1

If you end up with OBC to use, consider Effy Jewelers onboard. I have no idea about onboard jewelry prices compared to land. They do have what you describe. Search online store for size and color. DW has something from Effy and she really likes it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, linaka625 said:

I'm going on my first Alaska cruise and I'd like to purchase a whale tail necklace.  I'll be stopping in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway.  Can anyone recommend a jewelry store in one of these ports?  I'd like to spend about $500-$700.  

TIA.

What is this? Does it involve killing a whale????

• Haha 5

I wouldn’t buy from Effy, or any place the so-called shopping expert recommends.

They are only recommending places that give them a commission….so the sellers build that commission into your price, and you’ll end up paying too much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, linaka625 said:

TIA.

If you buy something in Alaska, you should buy something that was made in Alaska or even better made by a person who belongs to one of the indigenous tribes.  There are official "made in Alaska" and also "made by indigenous peoples" logos that can only be put on these products.  If the product is too cheap, it means that it was probably made in a factory overseas.  Also you should buy it from a shop that is locally owned instead of one that is owned by a large out-of-state multi-port company.  Also do not buy anything from a shop that is recommended by the cruise line as those shops are only recommended because they pay the cruise line to recommend them.   Finally, if the shop has a whole bunch of identical items, you can be sure that it is made overseas in a factory somewhere.  

I buy local stuff on cruises and you can be sure that I always try to buy local.

You do not say if you are going to be in anchorage for any period of time.  If you are, I can  recommend a couple of places to check out.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

I wouldn’t buy from Effy, or any place the so-called shopping expert recommends.

They are only recommending places that give them a commission….so the sellers build that commission into your price, and you’ll end up paying too much.

Strangely enough, EFFY is not a recommended store, even when they have a shop onboard.  Because they will not pay a kickback to the cruise line.  They are an American company, all merchandise is made in New York, so you don’t pay duty on it, even if you buy on the ship or in Mexico, etc.  

Now as to getting a whale tail pendant, I recommend you stop into all of the jewelry stores you pass, as many give out free gifts, and I have at least one silver whale tail…. EM

• Like 1

While there will an abundance of jewelry stores in all three ports mentioned I would suggest the Sealaska Heritage Center in Juneau.  Sealaska is one of our Native Corporations and the store associated with the Heritage Center features some wonderful Alaska made products.  I bought two pairs of earrings last summer made by Tlingit silversmiths.

• Like 4

Try Caribou Crossings in Juneau. They sell Alaskan-made jewelry. Many Alaskans make what you are looking for. An authentic item would be much better than a mass-produced one. “Buy the Bear” is our official state Alaskan-made certification program. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

While there will an abundance of jewelry stores in all three ports mentioned I would suggest the Sealaska Heritage Center in Juneau.  Sealaska is one of our Native Corporations and the store associated with the Heritage Center features some wonderful Alaska made products.  I bought two pairs of earrings last summer made by Tlingit silversmiths.

Looks like they have some wonderful items in the store.  I can't imagine how I missed the place on the several times that I have been to Juneau.

DON

If you want EFFY, then go to Macy's where they sell assorted whale tails. I have a whale tail that I bought in Hawaii at Na Hoku. Personally, I can't see the big deal with Effy brand. However, if in AK, then buy something made in the state. When we were  in Juneau, we stopped at a small jeweler where I bought a ring,  it had a smooth oval piece of white quartz, with gold veins running through it. It's called Gold-bearing quartz or gold lod. Alaska Jewelry also sells pendants and earrings like this. Supposedly the stone was mined in AK. 

Darcy

1 hour ago, WatchHill said:

If you want EFFY, then go to Macy's where they sell assorted whale tails. I have a whale tail that I bought in Hawaii at Na Hoku. Personally, I can't see the big deal with Effy brand. However, if in AK, then buy something made in the state. When we were  in Juneau, we stopped at a small jeweler where I bought a ring,  it had a smooth oval piece of white quartz, with gold veins running through it. It's called Gold-bearing quartz or gold lod. Alaska Jewelry also sells pendants and earrings like this. Supposedly the stone was mined in AK. 

Darcy

Thanks for the info. I was originally looking at Effy, but after reading all the responses, I’m going to get something made in Alaska. 

Agreed, buy something local.

I was just in Bermuda, and wanted to get something for my wife. Granted, Bermuda doesn't have the same stores as the Caribbean (though there is now a Diamonds International there), but I went into a jewelry store in the mall and specifically asked about something unique. I got her a nice locally made necklace made with Bermuda pink sand.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Where is it situated in town?

Marlster

A humpback whale is the length of a school bus.  There is a replica of one in Kihei Maui at Kalama Park.  Could you imagine the OP with a real tail around their neck?  LOL   

Your generous budget should get you something in 14k gold, though you see them in sterling silver too.

Edited by Dancing Shoes

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

There are 360 hits for exactly what you want in your price range on Amazon.  If you don't plan to buy Alaska made or Indigenous people made, there is no need to buy one in AK.

DON

Adding you don't even have to go to Alaska to buy that foreign made trinket with no memorable

value of where you got it and the good times enjoyed to comment about it. 

My wife bought a beautiful silver whale tail at a small jewelry store in Skagway. She wears it often.

On a side note the place to buy your souvenirs and such is in Ketchikan at the Tongus trading company. 

Edited by Eaglecw
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Marlster said:

Where is it situated in town?

Marlster

The Sealaska Heritage Center is located at 105 S. Seward Street.  Entrance to their store is free.  Their exhibits include an beautifully curated exhibit gallery and a clan house; there is an admission fee for the exhibit gallery.  Check their website for current entrance prices.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 4:34 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Take a trip to Hawaii and buy it from Maui Divers or Na Hoku.  

I 2nd Na Hoku.  I get the fact you want a souvenir actually from vacation.  But I'd check out their websites and see what they offer before cruising.  Then if you don't find anything in Alaska, you could come home and order from them. 

• Like 2

On 5/8/2022 at 5:48 PM, Dancing Shoes said:

A humpback whale is the length of a school bus.  There is a replica of one in Kihei Maui at Kalama Park.  Could you imagine the OP with a real tail around their neck?  LOL   

Your generous budget should get you something in 14k gold, though you see them in sterling silver too.

Thanks!  I’ve been to Maui a few times but I missed the whale replica. 
im so glad I started this topic as it’s really swayed my thinking. Instead of Effy, I’d like to get a whale tail with gold nugget.